When you’re not aware of how to connect Canon MG3660 printer to WiFi your attempts will often result in a failure since you’re probably missing a step.
This is why in this post you’ll find the complete guide on how to prepare and connect your Canon printer to WiFi.
For the process, we’ll be using Canon MG3660 but keep in mind that other Canon printer models also use the same exact method of connection.
To connect a Canon MG3660 printer to WiFi, you should turn the feature ON by using the dedicated button and enable the WPS shortly after. The only concern to pay attention to is the WiFi frequency since Canon printers can’t connect to 5 GHz broadbands.
The way of connecting the MG3660 printer to WiFi consists of several steps.
In the below guide we’ve managed to get everything covered so you can do things right.
Let’s start with some preparation:
Before getting your printer paired with the WiFi, there’s a quick preparation step you must undertake, otherwise, you won’t be able to establish the connection.
Since Canon MG3660 and 6000 series connect with the network automatically, there isn’t much to do.
Here’s how to prepare your setup for connecting the printer:
- Ensure that your router/network device is up and running.
- Verify that the WiFi connection and network are online.
- Check if the Canon MG3660 printer is connected with the power.
Note: In case of a previously failed WiFi connection attempt, restart your MG3660 printer.
Now you will have to begin the WiFi setup of your Canon MG3660 printer.
This is easy since your printer has a WiFi button included, which will make it easy to turn ON the wireless connection.
You will have to go to your printer and locate the WiFi button on the control panel.
Tip: The control panel is located on the top-left side of the printer.
Here’s how to trigger the WiFi of your Canon printer:
- Go over to your Canon MG3660 printer.
- Press and hold the WiFi button, located on the top panel of the printer.
- Wait for the power light to flash a couple of times.
- Press the black button with a little diamond on it.
- Wait for your Canon MG3660 printer’s light to flash quickly.
- The WiFi setup is complete, once the LED turns into a solid light.
Note: The power indicator that should blink is located on the left of the WiFi button and has to blink in blue color to indicate a successful connection.
To connect your Canon printer to WiFi, you must enable a secure wireless network hosted by your network device. That is done by enabling the router’s “WPS”, which stands for WiFi-Protected Setup.
It is used to connect devices to the WiFi that don’t have an interface and a password is not required for WPS.
However, the WPS of your printer is not enabled by default. Users can enable the feature by pressing the WPS button on top of the panel.
Keep in mind that your Canon printer will have the WiFi turned ON for two minutes.
Hence, the WPS should be enabled within 2 minutes of enabling the WiFi on your Canon printer.
The last step is to wait for your Canon MG3660 to get paired with the WiFi network.
If you’ve pressed the WPS button, located on the printer within 2 minutes of enabling the printer’s WiFi, the connection should happen in the next 30 to 60 seconds.
Just be patient and wait for the printer to get connected to the WiFi.
Note: Test printing something to justify the connection.
For some users, the WPS connection does not work and instead of troubleshooting your entire network setup, you can easily hook up the Canon MG3660 printer to WiFi using the app.
Alert: You will need your smartphone and a working WiFi connection.
Here we’ve prepared steps to get and use the Canon Printer App for WiFi:
- In the App Store search for “Canon”.
- Download an app labeled “Canon PRINT inkjet”.
- Turn ON your Canon MG3660 printer.
- Hold the WiFi button until the blue LED starts flashing.
- Press the Blue (Start) button.
- Press the WiFi button again – that will put your printer in “cabless mode”.
- Using your phone connect to your Printer’s WiFi (canon_jk_random numbers).
- Open the Canon app and agree to the TOS.
- Search for available printers or Add New Printer.
- Tap on your printer then set up the connection.
- Choose your WiFi and insert the password.
Unless you turn ON the location services for the Canon application the WiFi connection won’t work.
You can enable the location services manually by reaching the “Application Settings”.
Tip: The printer will appear in the list of available devices as “Canon Printer (Build)”.
To track whether the printer has connected with the WiFi or not, you can take a look at the blue light on the printer’s surface.
There are two states for that LED light:
- Blue LED is flashing – the printer is still getting connected.
- The blue and power lights are lit – that means your printer is connected.
If both of the LEDs are no longer blinking and have remained lit, it means that your printer has successfully paired with the WiFi network and now has internet.
Feel free to make a test run by printing something from your computer. This way you’ll quickly realize whether everything is OK.
Note: When the LEDs keep blinking without going into a solid-state, re-press the “WPS” button on your printer to re-do the connection.
If the WiFi setup process on your Canon MG3660 printer failed, there are several things you can test out.
You should keep in mind that the suspect here might also be your network so make sure to check whether your internet is intact before focusing on troubleshooting.
In case your WiFi is good, here are the steps to solve when your Canon printer won’t connect:
- Power cycle the Canon MG3660 by unplugging the device from the power.
- Forget any previous WiFi connections for the Canon printer.
- Make sure to use 2.4 GHz WiFi since Canon printers do not support 5 GHz bands.
- Restart your network router.
These methods should be enough to get your WiFi going and help your Canon printer connect.
However, in case the issue persists, you should seek more help at the Cannon Help Center by searching for the MG3660 printer.
The Canon MG3660 connects only to 2.4 GHz WiFi automatically when WPS is enabled. You should first press the WiFi button and then the WPS button without losing time. This will take up to a minute but your Canon MG3660 should get connected.
Now when you’re familiar with how to connect Canon MG3660 printer to WiFi, you should be already printing which confirms a successful connection.
Keep in mind that when you’re trying to print something from your computer, the device should also be connected to the same WiFi as your MG3660 printer.
To summarize the steps, we can say that connecting MG3660 to the WiFi is not hard at all when you know which buttons to press.
What’s also important is the WiFi frequency and you should only connect to the 2.4 GHz broadband of your router.
Kevin has over five years of experience working in various Tech startups and providing Technical solutions. He has contributed to many Tech publications and websites.