If you are moving to a new mobile carrier, you may be looking for how to cancel Freedom Mobile easily.
The fact is that joining Freedom Mobile is easy but leaving is not. If you have tried moving from Freedom Mobile you know how frustrating it can be.
More so, if you want to leave without paying heavy penalties for early termination.
To leave Freedom Mobile without pain, you have to call them. Calling Freedom Mobile is not easy either.
If you are unable to reach them, use the special access number to book a callback.
Alternatively, you may cancel your Freedom Mobile plan without notifying them. You are actually allowed to cancel the Freedom Mobile plan without notification.
However, there are some factors that must be fulfilled. Keep reading to find out more.
Reasons for Canceling Freedom Mobile
Before we look at how to cancel the Freedom Mobile account, let’s see why to cancel.
It is a fact that Freedom Mobile is one of the most affordable mobile networks in Canada. Even so, there are reasons you may want to part ways.
You can cancel the Freedom Mobile contract if:
- You have moved to a region that does not enjoy Freedom Mobile coverage. While you may be able to roam on freedom in many localities, the service may not be that great.
- You are not happy with the services they offer
- You have found a cheaper alternative
The most common reason why people move from Freedom Mobile is poor coverage in some areas.
If you are residing in an area that lacks coverage, the most appropriate move should be switching to a different carrier.
How to Cancel Freedom Mobile Without Paying
If you are on a postpaid plan, you will most likely have to pay off your remaining amount on the plan to cancel.
However, there are a few situations when you may be allowed to cancel without paying.
If you want to end your contract without paying, either cancel during the trial period or at the end of service.
Cancel Freedom Mobile During Trial Period
Freedom Mobile gives all of its customers a trial period of up to 15 days.
If you identify yourself as a person who is disabled in any way, you are entitled to a trial period of 30 days.
Within the trial period, you are expected to test Freedom Mobile’s services. If you find the services to be satisfactory, you can stay with the carrier.
However, if you feel that the service is not good, you can opt-out free of charge.
Conditions to cancel Freedom Mobile during the trial period:
- You must return any Freedom Mobile equipment purchased alongside your plan.
- For products delivered online, the package is in the envelope used for delivery and sent via Canada Post.
- You must not have used more than 50% of the allocated resources including data and calls.
- If you cancel your service within 15 days, you will be entitled to a full or partial refund. Alternatively, you may qualify for an exchange product.
- If you choose to cancel after the trial period, you have to pay an early cancellation fee. On top, you have to pay all the amounts owed on your account.
Note: If you find that the Freedom Mobile services are not impressive in your location, cancel the service as early as possible.
How to Cancel Freedom Mobile Subscription
There are not many methods to use when canceling Freedom Mobile. There are just three ways on how to cancel the Freedom Mobile plan.
Each of these methods has its fair share of challenges. Let us look at how to navigate this area.
Solution #1 Cancel by Calling Freedom Mobile
The first solution to this problem is by calling Freedom Mobile. You might have already tried this option out.
Freedom Mobile specifically states that you must call their customer care service to cancel your plan.
Unfortunately, most times the Freedom Mobile numbers do not go through. If you are going to use this method, you should be patient.
Simply wait for a callback or call during low-traffic hours.
- Call 611 on the Freedom Mobile line for toll-free communication
- Call 1-877-946-3184 on non-Freedom Mobile
Tip: To increase the chances for your call to be picked up, avoid calling in late afternoons and evenings.
Call early in the morning before the lines get busy. The Freedom Mobile customer care lines start working at 8:00 AM.
Step #2 Cancel by Porting Your Number
The alternative option is directly porting your number. This option evades the hustle of calling Freedom Mobile.
If you choose to port your number, you will be automatically deregistered from Freedom Mobile.
The process of porting your number depends on your choice of mobile provider.
The mobile service provider you choose will initiate the process.
Once the process is initiated, you will receive the final details from Freedom Mobile.
How to port your number:
- Buy a new SIM card from your preferred carrier
- Log in to the online SIM activation portal for your new carrier
- Enter the 19-digit SIM card number for the SIM to be activated
- You will be prompted to either choose a new number or port an old number.
- Select Port Number from the old carrier
- Enter your Freedom Mobile number and click on Next
- You will be required to fill in some details including Freedom Mobile account details.
- Once done, you will receive a message on your Freedom Mobile SIM with further guidance to complete porting.
Note: For porting to be completed, you must follow all the instructions sent to you by Freedom Mobile.
You may be instructed to clear out any outstanding balances for the process to be completed.
Solution #3 Reach Out to Freedom Mobile on Social Media
The other solution you may try is reaching out to Freedom Mobile on social media.
Most people do not know that Freedom Mobile has active agents on social media. These agents can actually solve your problem in a matter of minutes.
All you have to do is send them a message detailing your issue. Turn on social media notifications to get a pop-up when they reply.
You may be asked to provide a few details and the number porting will be completed.
Freedom Mobile’s social media handles are
- @FreedomMobile on Twitter
- @frdmmobile on Facebook
- frdmmobile on Instagram
Tip: You are more likely to get a quick response on Twitter than on other social media sites.
Conditions to Cancel Freedom Mobile Services
There are some conditions that must be fulfilled for any person to cancel their Freedom Mobile services.
The Freedom Mobile terms and conditions clearly explain the situation when you may cancel your contract.
Terms for canceling the Freedom Mobile contract:
- You can only cancel your contract on or after the expiry of services.
- You may cancel your contract before the expiry of services but you will be liable for any pending costs on your contract.
- If your account has some money at the time of cancellation, it will either be deducted for unpaid services or refunded.
- Any refund owed to you at the time of cancelling will be refunded to your credit card or sent as a cheque via mail.
Note: If you changed address or your credit card is expired, you are obligated to notify Freedom Mobile.
Failure to notify them may result in not receiving your refund.
Freedom Mobile Cancelation Notice Period
All mobile service providers tend to have restrictions on service cancellation.
In most cases, you are required to issue a notice some days before cancellation.
This is not the case with Freedom Mobile. On Freedom Mobile, you can issue a cancellation request on any date and the service will be stopped immediately.
What Happens to Linked Devices When You Cancel Freedom Mobile?
If you have linked some devices to your Freedom Mobile account, they will also get disconnected.
Canceling your contract simply means closing your account with Freedom Mobile.
If you are using an Apple Watch on your account, you have to move it to your new service provider.
The steps above on how to cancel Freedom Mobile detail everything you should know to cancel your contract.
If you feel that it is time to part ways, simply submit your request.
However, make sure you are in a position to pay off any amount remaining on your contract.
Read Next: Freedom Mobile Messages Not Sending? – Fix Guide
Kevin has over five years of experience working in various Tech startups and providing Technical solutions. He has contributed to many Tech publications and websites.