You’ve just unboxed this fancy-looking printer, and you’re asking yourself how do I connect my Canon MP499 printer to WiFi?
It can be a bit overwhelming to set it up by yourself, but I’ll take you through the entire WiFi setup process.
Before Setting up your Canon MP499 printer to WiFi, ensure you have a wireless network running and install the right driver software on your PC. Proceed to set up the connection using the WPS/WiFi button on the printer and a router with a WPS.
Being able to network a printer so that it serves as many people as possible is the ultimate goal.
Issues that arise when connecting the printer to WiFi may cripple entire operations. Let’s look at some methods to connect the printer wirelessly.
The Canon PIXMA MP499 connects to the network using the secure WPS connection to utilize its better security features.
To connect your printer to the network, follow the steps we will cover.
Here are some of the best Canon printer Mp499 WiFi setup techniques:
Take note of these points before you begin the setup process:
1. Your router/access point needs to have a WPS button present. Confirm these details from your device’s user guide.
2. Your network connection should be using WPA2 or WPA security protocol. Many access points enabled by WPS use this security protocol.
- Ensure that the printer is on. The LED display should be lit and read “1”.
- Hold the Maintenance(A) button on the printer for 5 seconds. The LED should flash.
- Press the Fit to Page button. This causes the LED to flash.
- Press the WPS button on your access point within 2 minutes.
- The blue WiFi icon on the printer will blink, indicating that it is looking for a WPS network to connect to.
When the connection is made, the LED lights up for approximately 3 seconds, then changes to “1”.
The blue WiFi lamp on the printer should also be lit. In case the process is unsuccessful, then an error code will be displayed on the LED screen.
Some of the main errors include:
- E,2,1– Indicates that you took more than the required 2 minutes to press the WPS button on your access point.
- E,2,3– Indicates that multiple WPS access points were detected, and the printer failed to connect to one.
To clear the errors, press the B or C button and then repeat the set-up procedure from step 3.
To confirm that you have successfully connected the printer to your wireless home network, you can initiate a print from the web by following these steps:
- Turn on the printer.
- Load the tray with a sheet of 4 or plain paper.
- Tap the Maintenance button repeatedly until the LED displays an “n”.
- Press the Color(C) or Black(B) button.
Check that the “Link Status” indicates “Active” When referring to the printout. The SSID(the name of your network) should indicate the correct name of your WiFi network.
If the details on your printer display match, then it is now successfully connected to your home network.
There is still another way to undertake your Canon printer MP499 setup in the scenario where the regular route is impossible.
This method entails setting up the printer using your PC and the setup disk provided with the printer.
Suppose the disk is not available, you can download the required manuals and software from Canon support. Ensure your printer is on for this process.
- Insert the disk that came with your printer and autorun.
- If the disk does not autorun, click on My computer > CD-Rom/Canon_IJ > MSETUP4.EXE.
- Select Easy install, and on the next screen, install.
- Insert the disk, then double-click the “Canon_IJ” icon on your desktop.
- When the selection window opens, click the SETUP to start the software download link.
- When the initial screen setup wizard screen appears, tap Easy install.
- Click Install on the next screen.
In both Windows and Mac, Easy install installs the canon drivers, application software, and on-screen manuals. If you want to select particular items to install, click Custom Install.
Select the printer connection method you will use, i.e. ( USB or wireless)
- Click on Wireless connection. Ensuring that the printer is on, click next.
- Tap on connect to the network.
- Hold the Maintenance(A) button on the printer for 5 seconds. The LED should be flashing.
- Click on Next in the setup window.
- In the following window that appears, select “Wireless Setup Using the USB Cable.”
- Click Next.
After clicking Next in the connection method window, a location window is opened.
- Select the region you’re in from the ones provided and hit Next.
- Select your country of residence. If your country is not listed, select Other.
- In the following screen, select the individual software you need to be installed to enhance your networking experience.
- Hit Next.
- In the end-user license screen, select Yes. This initiates the printer setup wizard.
In case you're not sure what software you already have installed or don't need, don't worry. You will be able to uninstall them after the setup.
When the connect cable screen appears:
- Connect your printer to your PC using a USB cable.
- Wait for your printer to be detected and the window will close automatically.
- With your printer detected, a screen appears containing the name of the access point your PC is connected to.
- Select Yes, If you want to connect to that particular network.
- Detach the USB cable from the printer and the PC and click next.
- The screen that follows indicates your printer model and the name/SSID of your wireless network. Click complete.
- When the connect cable screen appears:
- Connect your printer to your PC using a USB cable.
- Click Next and Wait for your printer to be detected.
- When your printer is detected, a screen appears containing the name of the access point your PC is connected to.
- Select Yes to connect to that particular network.
- Detach the USB cable as instructed and click next.
- The screen that follows indicates your printer model and the name/SSID of your wireless network. Click OK.
In case you change your access point or you need to reset your network to factory settings, you can do so by:
- Tap the maintenance(A) button repeatedly until the LED displays
- Press either the Color(C) button or the Black(B) button.
Note: Initialization erases all network settings on your printer.
Using the printer over a network becomes impossible until the printer is re-configured.
Read Next: Why is Canon Pixma MG2520 Paper Not Feeding?
Having covered the above two methods extensively, I believe you now have the answer to how do I connect my Canon MP99 printer to WiFi?
I trust that you’ll be able to troubleshoot whatever networking problems you face with your printer. If all else fails, be sure to contact Canon support.