Wondering why the Hive thermostat not connecting to receiver? We’ve got you covered!
The Hive receiver acts as the interference point between the Hive hub, Hive thermostat and the boiler.
Without the receiver, none of the Hive equipment will function properly, so this device is a mandatory participant for the central heating Hive system so let’s explore more about the link!
Whenever the Hive thermostat is not connecting with the receiver, update the version of the Hive app and verify that the receiver is paired with the hub. Next, replace the batteries of the Hive thermostat and conduct a factory restoration process!
Let’s investigate the issue further!
Why is the Hive App Not Pairing With Thermostat?
The Hive application cannot detect the Hive thermostat and establish a strong connection due to issues with the Hive hub or the receiver.
To address any fault with Hive’s central heating system, the first step is to review all potential causes in order to produce only working solutions steps!
Here’s why the Hive app is unable to connect with the thermostat/receiver:
How to Check the Hive Service Status?
One of the most important steps before troubleshooting is to check whether the Hive service is online and whether the app is working.
So, before all else, here’s how to check the Hive status:
- Open a web browser on your mobile phone or PC/laptop.
- Press on the search field and type “status.hivehome.com”.
- Press “Enter” and wait for the Hive services page to load.
- Determine if there’s an “X” mark or a tick underneath “Hive”.
Note: Hive’s offered services will be included and displayed on the status page!
Hive Thermostat Not Connecting to Receiver – Easy Fix!
Tip: Follow our steps in a consecutive order to fix the issue faster!
1. Reboot the Hive Receiver!
If the issue is on the receiver’s end, rebooting the device is the universal solution for addressing any functionality complications.
The system will restart after pressing a specific sequence of buttons on the receiver and will also relaunch the connectivity with the Hive thermostat.
How to Identify Hive Receiver?
Some essential expertise and understanding of the Hive heating system is required to tell the receiver and the thermostat apart.
The devices look identical, and rebooting the thermostat in this solution won’t do, as the receiver transmits and accepts different signals.
Note: Whilst the thermostat controls your home's heating and can adjust the functionality of the HVAC system entirely, the receiver is not used for operating any other devices.
How to Reboot Hive Receiver?
Follow these steps to reboot the Hive receiver:
- Press and hold the central button on your receiver.
- Keep holding for 5 seconds to shut down the device.
- Once the receiver is powered off, wait for 60 seconds.
- To turn on the Hive receiver, press the central button.
Turning off the Hive receiver typically takes about 10 seconds of holding the central button.
The receiver is powered off when the display goes off, and pressing the button doesn’t activate any available software functions.
Note: Verify that the Hive thermostat can adjust the heating modes of the HVAC system!
2. Power Reset the Thermostat
When the Hive thermostat can’t connect to the receiver, you will have to perform a power cycle to refresh the operational services.
This effective reset will discharge the device’s hardware and reset the connection services, which might be enough to resolve the issue with the connection.
Follow these steps to perform a power reset on the Hive thermostat efficiently:
- Take off the Hive thermostat from the installed wall stand.
- Push the latch on the side panel to release the batteries.
- Then, eject all of the Hive thermostat 4 AA/AAA batteries.
- Wait for 60 seconds while the Hive thermostat discharges.
- Install the batteries correctly back into the Hive thermostat.
- Gently close the compartment and reinstall the thermostat.
Important: Replace the Hive Batteries!
If the thermostat still cannot connected with the receiver, it’s likely that the batteries are starting to wear out, reducing the electricity income to the system.
Software and hardware issues could result from drained batteries, so insert four fresh pairs of AA/AAA batteries into the thermostat.
Info: The Hive Mini uses four triple-A, unlike the regular, which uses four double-A batteries!
3. Reconnect the Receiver to the Hub
Another reason the Hive thermostat cannot connect with the receiver because the receiver is not paired with the hub.
To establish a connection between the hub and the receiver, you need to put the Hub into “pairing” mode by prompting to set up a new device through the Hive app.
Here’s how to reconnect the Hive receiver to the hub in easy steps:
- Open the Hive app on your mobile Android/iPhone device.
- Press “Install Devices” to activate the hub’s pairing mode.
- Next, press “Add another device” and finally select “GO”.
- Wait until the Hive application is searching for the receiver.
Once the Hive application has detected the receiver, it will appear as a connected device on the “Devices” page.
You will know that the Hive receiver has successfully established a connection whenever the frontal LED light flashes multiple times in amber light.
Note: If the receiver is not pairing, it could be too far from the Hive central hub!
4. Update the Version of the Hive App!
If the Hive application is behind on firmware versions, it could negatively impact the functionality of the connected devices, including the Hive thermostat.
The next step is to check for newer OS firmware versions to address software-related faults in the Hive platform and connection throttles.
Your device must be connected to the internet to update apps!
Here’s how to update the HIve application on your Android/iOS device:
- Open the Google Play/App Store on the Android/iOS device.
- Tap on your profile icon at the top-right of the home display.
- Press “Manage Installed Applications” and scroll downwards.
- Locate the “Hive” app and press the “Update” button to start.
- Wait until the platform receives the latest available app version.
How to Reinstall the Hive Mobile Application?
If updating the Hive app didn’t have any results, it is advised to uninstall the application and download it to your device again.
This is a proven resolution to platform functionality issues, including overfilled app cache or corrupted system configuration files.
Here’s how to reinstall the Hive app on your mobile:
- Open the Settings app on your Android/iOS device.
- Go to “Applications” and select the “Hive” platform.
- Select the “Uninstall” button to remove the application.
- Next, access the Google Play/App Store on your unit.
- Use the search field to find and download the Hive app.
Tip: After downloading the Hive app, activate “Automatic Updates.”
5. Reconnect the Hive Hub to Service
Another potential reason why the thermostat won’t connect to the receiver is due to an issue in the local network.
This could be a problem caused by the Hive hub during a service outage, so the next step is to reconnect the fibre cable of the Hive hub from the wall outlet.
Unplug the service cable from the back of the Hive hub for 30 seconds!
Once 30 seconds have passed, reconnect the cable from both ends to relaunch all services on the Hive hub.
After the signal coverage has been reset, attempt to re-add the Hive thermostat.
Warning: The receiver will temporarily deactivate while the service cable is unplugged!
6. Reset the Hive Thermostat to Defaults!
If the issue is still there, the most potent resolution is to perform a factory reset on the Hive thermostat.
If the Hive receiver is still undetected by the thermostat system, then erasing the device’s system settings should resolve any underlying issues with the system’s configuration.
Warning: After resetting, all content and data will be erased from the Hive thermostat!
Here’s how to perform a factory reset on the Hive thermostat:
- Hold the “Back” arrow and the “Menu” button on the thermostat.
- Wait until the reset cooldown appears on the thermostat screen.
- Cease all interactions with the thermostat until the reset is ready.
Once the system has recognised the factory reset and the process has started, physically interacting with the thermostat could accidentally cancel the process.
After the thermostat has completed the factory reset, it will reboot, allowing the user to undergo the initial setup again.
Tip: For more help, contact Hive Customer Service!
To fix when the Hive thermostat not connecting to receiver, power cycle the thermostat first and check if the Hive hub is working correctly.
If the issue is still there, update the version of the mobile “Hive” application and factory reset your Hive thermostat device.
Follow us for more helpful Hive troubleshooting content!
Kevin has over five years of experience working in various Tech startups and providing Technical solutions. He has contributed to many Tech publications and websites.