If you are in a region that suffers from coverage, you should consider setting up Freedom Mobile Wifi Calling.
There are some regions where Freedom Mobile coverage is very poor. As a matter of fact, Freedom Mobile only has strong coverage in four of Canada’s main cities.
In other regions, you may find yourself in dead zones.
Freedom Mobile Wifi calling enables you to make and receive calls and texts even without coverage.
All you have to do is ensure that you are connected to Wi-Fi. If you want to use Freedom Mobile Wifi calling, enable it in your phone app settings.
There are many benefits of using Wifi Calling. However, there are some SIM cards that do not support this feature.
Keep on reading to learn more about Freedom Mobile Wifi Calling.
What Is WiFi Calling and How Does It Work?
As mobile phones advance in technology, many features are added. Traditionally, calls were made over satellite. Today, satellite calls are limited.
Digital calls have taken over. Wifi calling is one of the latest features of mobile phone communication.
Wifi Calling allows you to make calls on your Smartphone without having to be connected to your carrier’s satellite network.
What this means is that, as long as you have strong Wifi, you can make calls even where coverage is poor.
Features of Wifi Calling
- You can make calls to all destinations including international numbers.
- You can send SMS and MMS to any number including international numbers.
- You will be charged normal communication rates based on your carrier charges.
- You should have specific SIM cards for Freedom Mobile to enable wifi calling to work.
Note: If your device or SIM card is not updated, you will not be able to set up Wifi calling.
Pros and Cons of Freedom Mobile Wifi Calling
There are some benefits of Wifi calling that are very attractive to any person. At the same time, there are disadvantages.
It is only proper that you consider both sides and make a decision for yourself.
- You can make calls even when there is no coverage in your locality
- Communication is not affected by bad weather or any occurrence that affects the cellular network.
- You can easily shift back to cellular calling at any time
- You must be connected to a Wifi to make a call. If you step outside your Wifi zone you miss calls and messages.
- You are exposed to a high risk of cybercrime since your phone can connect to a risky Wifi. If this happens, your calls could be tapped.
- If your Wifi signal is poor, you may experience low-quality calls. In some cases, the calls may be dropped.
- Despite the fact that you are connected to a Wifi, you still need Freedom Mobile credit to communicate.
Does Wi-Fi-Calling Cost Money?
You may assume that Wifi calling is free of charge. On the contrary, Wifi Calling is similar to normal calling.
You will be charged the normal calling rates on Freedom Mobile.
Remember that the Wifi only connects your call to Freedom Mobile servers. Your call is then routed to the receiver.
With that in mind, Wifi Calling does not incur any extra charges apart from normal calling rates.
As long as you have already paid for your wifi, you will not be charged extra costs for Wifi Calling on Freedom Mobile.
Why Set up Freedom Mobile WiFi Calling?
To enjoy all the features of Wifi Calling, you need to first configure your device for the same.
You can activate Wifi Calling on android and iOS phones all alike.
Before we look at the steps to activate wifi calling Freedom Mobile, we should know why. I am sure you want to know what makes it a good option.
Reasons for using Wifi Calling
- Coverage– Wifi Calling provides a good alternative in regions where Freedom Mobile coverage is poor. We all know that Freedom Mobile has quite some gaps in coverage.
- Convenience– Wifi Calling offers convenience in areas where coverage is poor. You do not get affected by bad weather or dead zones.
- Experience quality calls– One fact you can be sure about Wifi Calling is that the calls are high quality.
- You save data– When you use Wifi calling, you do not have to access the data on your plan.
How to Set Up Wifi Calling
To be able to set up Freedom Mobile Wifi Calling, you need a compatible device and SIM card.
Freedom Mobile offers three types of SIM cards. They have the P5, P6 and P6A SIM cards.
For a successful Freedom Mobile Wifi Calling setup, you will need either a P6 or P6A SIM card.
The good news is that Freedom Mobile can easily upgrade your SIM card. If your SIM card is a P5, visit any Freedom Mobile outlet and ask to upgrade.
Set Up Wifi Calling On Android
Android devices are diverse. There are some devices that support this feature while others do not.
Before you start setting, confirm whether your device is compatible. You can confirm by visiting Freedom Mobile’s Compatibility check page.
Follow these steps to set up Wifi Calling:
- Once you have confirmed that your device is compatible, connect it to a stable Wifi.
- Open the Phone App(Some devices call it dialler)
- Tap on the three dots at the top left corner ( On some devices tap on more).
- Tap on Wifi Calling
- You will be required to fill out a form and set up an emergency address.
- Set your 911 emergency address.
- Follow the prompts on your screen to complete setting Wifi Calling
Note: You have to set up a 911 emergency address because Wifi calling does not show your location.
In case of an emergency, it can be difficult to trace someone who is using Wifi Calling.
The steps above are ideal for most android devices. Even so, some devices may have slight variances.
If you find differences in your device simply check for the settings section under your phone app.
Turn On WiFi Calling On Your iPhone
You can also use Wifi calling on your iPhone or iPad. Whichever the case, the steps are quite similar.
Here are the steps to set up Wifi Calling for iPhone
- Go to your Settings from your iPhone Menu
- Select Cellular
- If you are using a dual SIM phone, select Freedom Mobile SIM
- Tap on Wifi Calling and Turn Wifi Calling on
- Enter your home address for emergency purposes
- Confirm \and finish setting up your device
Note: If you use a dual SIM card phone, you must specify which SIM card you wish to use for Wifi calling.
Make sure you select your primary Freedom Mobile line for this purpose.
How to Know You Are Connected to WiFi Calling
After setting up your phone for Wifi calling, you must confirm that the settings are working.
The only way to confirm this is by making a call to your phone using a different phone.
If you are in a region that lacks coverage, you will be surprised to realize that the call goes through.
You can also confirm that the process is complete by looking at your device status bar. The name “Wi-Fi” will be displayed on your status bar right next to your carrier name.
Note: Your Wifi strength should be strong enough to sustain a call.
If your Wifi is lost during a call, you will be automatically switched to your Freedom Mobile network using VoLTE.
To be able to set up Freedom Mobile wifi calling, you will need a few essentials.
The first thing you will need is a Wifi Calling compatible SIM card. In this case, you need either a P6 or P6A SIM card. Besides the SIM card, your phone must also be compatible.
It is also important to note that Wifi Calling relies on a strong Wifi network. When setting it up, consider your normal use of bandwidth.
Kevin has over five years of experience working in various Tech startups and providing Technical solutions. He has contributed to many Tech publications and websites.