Are you wondering what causes Foxtel iQ5 recording issues? Well, we’ve got you covered!
The Foxtel iQ5 TV box can record up to 1 TB of content and locally store it on an optional hard drive for later viewing.
So, the recording issues may occur due to unstable internet or service connectivity, problems with the hard drive or improper iQ5 recording settings.
To resolve the recording issues of the Foxtel iQ5, do a power cycle on the box, defragment the iQ5’s hard drive and, as a last resort, conduct a factory reset on the box.
Let’s learn more!
Why Do Foxtel Recording Problems iQ5 Occur?
An issue with the hard drive primarily causes the recording issues of the cable box, but it could also be due to improper TV box settings.
The recording problem may occur due to an error code, corruption in the recorded files or prolonged recording times.
Here’s what could cause the recording issues on your Foxtel iQ5:
Those are the general causes of the recording issues on your Foxtel iQ5. Let’s solve them!
Foxtel iQ5 Recording Issues – 8 Easy Methods
If you’ve never had recording problems before, follow the steps consecutively!
1. Record an Alternative Broadcast
There might have been an issue with the live broadcast you were attempting to record on your Foxtel iQ5.
Therefore, none of it will be stored on the hard drive.
It is recommended to stream alternative content on your Foxtel iQ5 and reset the recorder feature of the cable box.
How to Record Foxtel Live TV Content?
- Access the Digital TV Channel Guide on your Foxtel iQ5.
- Find the TV program you wish to record for later viewing.
- Press “Select” on the Foxtel remote to open the synopsis.
- If you’re recording a show, select the episode(s) you wish to store on the drive.
- If you’re recording a movie, scroll down to “Record” → “Select” to start.
Based on the size of the recorded content, it may take up to 30 minutes until the show episode or full-length movie is recorded in proper quality and stored.
So, do not interrupt your Foxtel iQ5 while it is recording, as this could defragment or corrupt the created recording TV box directory.
2. Soft Reset Your iQ5 Receiver
In case you’re still unable to activate a recording, it is recommended to soft reset the iQ5.
Also known as power circulation, this is an excellent solution for underlying issues with the recording capabilities of the iQ5 and other software issues.
To achieve a soft reset, you must unplug the iQ5 from the power for a continuous amount of time.
Here’s how to undergo a complete hard reset procedure on your Foxtel iQ5:
- Press the Power button on the front of the iQ5 TV box.
- Wait until the front LED light turns red and stop holding.
- Disconnect the power cable of the iQ5 from your supply.
- Wait for 60 seconds while the cable box is disconnected.
- Re-attach the Foxtel iQ5 back into a supplying A/C outlet.
Tip: Inspect the physical condition of the Foxtel iQ5’s power adapter cable while unplugged.
3. Reconnect the iQ5’s Hard Drive
Thanks to a 1 TB hard drive, Foxtel iQ5 can record and store content for easy user access through the settings.
A potential connection failure between the drive and the Foxtel iQ5 will prevent any of the content from being recorded and stored on the hard drive for further use.
Here’s how to reconnect the Foxtel iQ5’s hard drive from the cable box:
- Unplug your Foxtel iQ5 box from the power supply.
- Lift the box and detach the hard drive from the pins.
- Wait for 60 seconds while the hard drive is removed.
- Re-attach the hard drive to the iQ5’s connection pins.
- Attempt to record a live broadcast through your box.
It is essential to verify that the connection between the iQ5 cable box and the hard drive is secure.
The data transfer may become impaired or slow due to drive functionality issues.
Note: With a 1 TB hard drive, you can record up to 2 live TV/on-demand simultaneously!
4. Update the iQ5 TV Box Manually
Sometimes, your iQ5 TV box may not record due to an outdated software version.
So, you must update the software manually to exclude this possibility and hopefully start recording smoothly.
Here’s how to update Foxtel iQ5 manually:
- Press the Power button on the iQ5 continuously.
- Release the button when the LED becomes red.
- On the box, press and hold the Standby button.
- Release the button when the LED becomes blue.
- Then, quickly press the Standby button 3 x times.
A prominent text on the TV screen states, “Updating System Software.”
So, wait until the OS is updated, and then you can test whether you can now record on-demand content on the iQ5.
5. Setup Remote iQ5 TV Recording
You don’t have to necessarily initiate the recording through your cable box’s settings, as the Foxtel GO mobile app can start remote recording.
The Foxtel iQ5 must be on “Standby” before initiating the remote recording, and you must be signed in to the same Foxtel account.
Here’s how to set up remote recording through the Foxtel GO app:
- Click the TV Guide icon at the bottom of the Foxtel Go platform.
- Select the program or long-length content you wish to record.
- Click on the “Record” button that will appear at the bottom menu.
How to Use “Series Link” Through Foxtel GO?
“Series Link” is a brand-new feature available for your iQ5 that allows automatic recording of TV show episodes.
If the feature is available for a particular TV show, you will be prompted whether you want to activate the “Series Link” upon visiting the “Recording” tab in Foxtel GO.
Tip: “Series Link” availability also occurs as a prompt when recording through the Foxtel iQ5!
6. Restore iQ5 to Factory Defaults
Restoring the Foxtel iQ5 to factory defaults is one of the most potent solutions against software and recording issues of any kind.
The reset will not impact the content stored on the physical hard drive. Therefore, none of your existing recordings will be removed.
However, all system settings, recording configurations and tuned channels will be erased from the iQ5.
Also, you’ll be signed out from your apps, so you will need to sign back in individually.
Here’s how to factory reset the Foxtel iQ5 in easy steps:
- Turn on the Foxtel iQ5 and verify it is connected to power.
- Carefully lift the cable box and locate the Reset button.
- Press and hold the button for 5 seconds to start the reset.
- Release the Reset button after the frontal LED goes off.
Note: Your Foxtel iQ5 TV box will reboot several times during the setup!
7. Format the Foxtel iQ5’s Hard Drive
Formatting the hard drive of your iQ5 will delete all recordings stored on the local storage but defragment the space and allocate the new partitions.
It is a compelling method against a slow-working drive, poor storage or upload issues caused by Foxtel’s recording ability.
Follow these steps to format the Foxtel iQ5’s hard drive in easy steps:
- Click the “Active” button on the front of the cable box.
- Select “1-System Setup” from the drop-down section.
- Type “0-6-6-1” in the same order using the iQ5 remote.
- Tap on “Confirm” and wait until the drive re-fragments.
Notice: Planned recording settings through the Foxtel GO app will also be erased!
8. Replace the Foxtel iQ5’s Hard Drive
Perhaps the hard drive of the Foxtel iQ5 is failing to work or can no longer process and secure data adequately.
Damaged fragments or hard drive partitions may significantly slow the Foxtel recordings’ upload process, potentially resulting in a complete failure.
To discuss a replacement, you must contact Foxtel Customer Support.
You can contact Foxtel in the two following ways:
- By contacting an agent via phone at 00 61 3 8325 2701.
- By going to the Support page and clicking “Chat Now.”
Best of luck!
You can address Foxtel iQ5 recording issues, by attempting to record a different channel, reconnecting the hard drive or remote recording.
Also, you may need to reset your Foxtel iQ5 receiver or complete a full hard-drive formatting to delete everything and begin fresh.
Follow us for more Foxtel iQ5 troubleshooting and solutions!
Finn Wheatley holds a Master’s Degree in Computer Science from UCL, London. He helped small data science consultancy firms, helping large corporations to grow their data capabilities, deploy advanced machine learning-based analytics and troubleshoot tech-related issues. Check out more about him here.