It could be frustrating when the Firestick stuck on downloading latest software.
The solution is simple!
When the Firestick is stuck on downloading software users will have to reboot the device, even though it’s not recommended. Then the connection to the internet should be inspected and storage freed. Only then users should restart the update.
How To Fix When Firestick Update Stuck?
To solve the problem, we’ll use only proven solutions so let’s jump into the first one!
Solution #1 Hard Reboot The Device
The RAM of your Firestick may get full during the update and the device won’t be able to complete the process.
By rebooting your device, you will get the RAM cleared, which will allow the update to proceed the next time.
To hard reboot your Fire Stick, follow these instructions:
- Use your TV’s original remote to turn the device off.
- Disconnect the Fire Stick plug from the back of the TV.
- Wait for at least 5 minutes.
- Reconnect the Fire Stick to your TV.
- Start the update.
- Follow the progress to determine whether it will pass.
Note: In case the update fails again, restart the device and move on to the next solution.
Solution #2 Reconnect Fire Stick To Internet
In case of the update didn’t complete after the restart, then you should make sure that the Fire Stick has access to the internet.
Since those updates require an active internet connection, your device must be paired with a WiFi network to complete the process.
Here’s how to reconnect your Fire Stick to the internet in easy steps:
- Go to Settings.
- Open the Network tab.
- Select your WiFi network.
- Insert the network password.
- Press on “Connect”.
- Wait for the Fire Sick to reconnect to your WiFi.
Alert: Fire Stick updates require at least 5Mbps of internet strength.
Solution #3 Reset Update With Fire Stick Remote
Many users have suggested using the Fire Stick remote to resolve the update downloading problem.
Since this problem has been known for quite a while, users managed to create a workaround using only the remote. Let’s learn how.
Follow these instructions to resolve the downloading error using your Fire Stick remote:
- Make sure that your Fire Stick is stuck on the update.
- Press and hold the Back and the Menu button (while pointing at the TV).
- Wait for 10-20 seconds.
- The reset will forcefully stop.
- Start the update again.
Note: You must make sure to wait for at least 10 seconds before re-attempting the update.
Solution #4 Clear Fire Stick Storage
The update of your Fire Stick may be freezing halfway due to insufficient storage in your Fire Stick’s memory.
This can happen especially with users who have downloaded plenty of applications and don’t have enough free space to download and install the update.
Here’s how you can clear storage off of your Fire Stick in easy steps:
- Make sure that you’re on your Fire Stick home screen.
- From there, go to Settings.
- Access the “Applications” tab.
- Next, choose “Manage Installed Applications”.
- Select applications that you do not use anymore.
- At the bottom of the drop-down menu, select “Uninstall”.
- Ensure that you have at least 2 gigabytes of free storage.
- (Optional) Additionally, you can clear the cache of your Fire Stick by tapping “Clear Cache” and then “Clear Data”.
Note: Clearing the cache and the data of your Fire Stick will also free up some additional space (although it may not be enough for the entire update).
Solution #5 Fix Problems With The Internet
If the Fire Stick still fails to download and install the update, then most certainly there’s an error with your network.
More specifically, this error tends to be with your router or modem rather than the Fire Stick itself.
Here’s how you can fix problems with the internet in your network setup:
- Power cycle network device – disconnect your router/modem from the power and wait for 5 minutes.
- Validate all physical connections – make sure that all wires and cables in your network setup are secured.
- Reset your router – press and hold the reset button on the back of your router to relaunch your network.
Note: Users with unlimited mobile data can share a hotspot from their smartphones and connect the Fire Stick to the temporary network to complete the update.
Solution #6 Reset Fire Stick With Remote
In case nothing worked so far, then you should perform a reset on your Fire Stick using the remote.
Keep in mind that this reset will erase all data of your device, that includes apps, data, music, and all settings configurations.
Here’s how to perform a reset on your Fire Stick:
- Make sure that your TV is turned on and the Fire Stick’s source is selected.
- Grab your Fire Stick remote.
- Press and hold the Back button and the right directional button.
- Hold both of these buttons down for 10 seconds.
- Wait for the pop-up message to appear.
- Confirm the prompt by selecting “Yes”.
- Wait for your Fire Stick to complete the reset.
Alert: Make sure not to shut down your Fire Stick while the update is still going or this may prevent the reset from finishing up.
How To Fix When Fire TV Stuck On Downloading Latest Software?
If you have an issue with applying the latest software update to your Fire TV, we also have a solution.
Before we proceed, make sure that you’ve tried all of the above solutions as well, since they can also apply to Fire TV rather than only with the Fire Stick plug.
Here’s what to do when Fire TV is stuck on downloading the latest software:
1. Power Reset TV
Turn OFF your Fire TV with the remote – wait for 30 seconds and disconnect the power adapter. Then reconnect the TV after 5 minutes.
2. Wait for Longer
Fire TV updates may take up to 15+ minutes by default. If your Fire TV takes longer, make sure to give it at least half an hour before drawing conclusions.
3. Reset Fire TV
You should perform a reset on your Fire TV, by going to Settings > “My Fire TV” > “Reset to Factory Defaults” > “Reset”.
4. Clear App Cache/Data
Clear the app cache and data at Settings > Storage > “Applications” > “Manage Installed Applications” > “Clear App Cache/Data”.
Tip: Test if your Fire TVs will be able to finish the update after applying each of these fixes.
Fire Stick/TV Still Not Finishing The Update…
If your Fire Stick or Fire TV is still unable to finish the update, perhaps there could be a problem with the Firestick servers.
A problem with the servers will temporarily prevent all users from updating their Fire devices so it’s worth checking this out.
Is Amazon Servers Down?
- On a browser, go to downdetector.com/status/amazon.
- Scroll down and locate the “Amazon outages” tab.
- Check your current time zone and determine if the servers are online or not.
If the line in the tab goes downwards when it closes your current time and zone, it means that there is a temporal outage with Amazon Fire servers.
Note: In case the services are currently down, the update will be completed tomorrow!
Thus, Fire Stick won’t be able to complete an update when there is no connection to the internet or whenever the internal storage is not enough. In case this is not the problem, users should perform a factory reset on the Fire Stick.
Read Next: Why Did My Firestick Reset Itself?
Now that we know why Firestick stuck on downloading latest software we should be able to solve the problem without much trouble.
In case the update won’t complete even after all of the solutions in this guide, probably Amazon is having issues with their servers.
We hope that this post was helpful and to discover more guides such as this one, make sure to check our online tech blog!
Kevin has over five years of experience working in various Tech startups and providing Technical solutions. He has contributed to many Tech publications and websites.