How do you fix ESPN Plus subscription not working? Like other streaming services, ESPN Plus also faces issues. Luckily, we have the solution.
When your ESPN Plus subscription stops working, the most likely reason is poor or lost connection. The app may not work correctly if you have slow Internet.
Another possible cause of your subscription malfunctioning is an ESPN server outage. If it is a widespread outage, you will find other people reporting about it.
To fix your ESPN Plus not working issue, power cycle your networking and entertainment devices, including your router, mesh Wi-Fi, and smart TV. Unplug them and press the power button. Wait for 10-15 minutes, then plug them again. Finally, turn them on and launch the ESPN Plus app to check if it’s working.
Before discussing ways to fix your ESPN Plus subscription problem, let us talk about the possible causes.
Knowing the possible reasons your ESPN Plus subscription is not working allows you to perform the appropriate solutions.
While connectivity problems are the most common reason, browser configuration may also be the culprit.
Your device may be blocking pop-ups from ESPN, so it can’t fully execute its code.
1. Connectivity Problems
Slow internet connection is the most common reason your ESPN Plus subscription is not working. The connection is poor due to a remote router or slow internet speed.
2. ESPN Server Outage
If there is a problem with the ESPN server, you can’t watch from the app. A widespread outage may be happening. In which case, other people may experience the same issue.
3. Issues with your Home Network
A temporary communication glitch within your home network can lead to ESPN Plus not working.
4. App Bugs and Glitches
You may not be using the latest version of ESPN Plus, causing incompatibilities between the app and its servers.
These are some of the common causes of ESPN Plus not working. You can use the appropriate solution to fix the issue now that you know them.
Before moving on to advanced solutions, try restarting the ESPN app and see if it works.
The problem may be due to a temporary glitch. If it works, it’s certainly going to save you a ton of time.
To restart the app, launch the ESPN app and click Settings. Tap Log out of the ESPN account, then relaunch the app. Log in to the app again and check if it’s working.
If this does not work, you can follow the rest of our troubleshooting steps.
Power cycling your routers, mesh Wi-Fi, and smart TV can help fix your ESPN Plus not working problem.
But, make sure you are using the latest version of the ESPN Plus app. This fix works fine for most smart TVs.
Here’s what you should do:
- Unplug your smart TV and press the power button for 10 seconds.
- Unplug your router and wait for 10-15 minutes.
- Plug in your router first and turn it on.
- When the router is booted up, plug in your smart TV.
- Turn on your smart TV and launch the ESPN Plus app.
Note: Make sure your smart TV’s software is also up to date. If this is not the case, update the app and smart TV.
Tip: You can also check the status of the ESPN Plus service on Downdetector.com.
A temporary glitch may cause the ESPN Plus app to fail to execute properly. Try force closing your ESPN app and see if this clears the issue.
Here’s how to do it:
- Launch Settings.
- Open the Application Manager.
- Select the ESPN app and tap Force Stop.
- Confirm that you want to force stop the app.
- Afterward, launch the app again to check if it’s working.
Note: If your ESPN Plus subscription is not direct, check if using the app through a third-party streaming service like Hulu solves the problem.
Corrupted cache and data may also be why your ESPN app stops working.
The related app modules will access corrupt data, causing a working issue. In this case, clearing the cache and data may solve the problem.
- Launch Settings and open Apps.
- Open the ESPN app and tap Force Stop.
- Confirm to force stop the app and tap Storage.
- Tap on Clear Cache and press Clear Data or Clear Storage.
- Relaunch the ESPN app to see if it’s working.
Tip: Another way to clear the ESPN Plus app cache and data is to uninstall the app from the device and install it again.
Note: Clearing the storage of the ESPN Plus app will delete all saved data, including your login information.
Whenever your ESPN app stops working and asks you to subscribe again, your option here would be to re-link your subscription to your account.
The app does not detect your account and you’ll need to direct it to your subscription so it starts working again.
Here’s how to link your ESPN subscription to your device:
- Open the ESPN app on your device.
- Go to your ESPN app’s settings.
- Choose ESPN+ Subscription.
- Go to Subscribe, then Restore.
- Tap on Set Up Account to complete the activation process.
Note: You can now use your ESPN account on other devices like your Fire Stick or Smart TV.
Pro Tip: For best results, perform a factory reset of your device, then follow these steps to successfully link your subscription to your device.
If the ESPN Plus app is missing the latest patches, update it to its latest version to clear the issue.
For illustration, we will discuss the process of updating the app on different devices.
- Launch Google Play Store.
- Go to Menu > My Apps & Games.
- Head to the Installed tab.
- Look for ESPN in the Updates Available section and tap on it.
- Tap Update.
- Press the Home button on your remote.
- Navigate to Featured > ESPN.
- Press and hold the Enter button.
- Navigate to Update Apps.
- Tap All > Update.
- On the home screen, scroll to ESPN Plus.
- Press the Options Menu button on your remote.
- In the pop-up, click Check for updates.
- If an update is available, it will be downloaded and installed immediately.
Note: An outdated or corrupt ESPN Plus app becomes incompatible with ESPN servers, causing the issue.
After trying all our solutions, contact the ESPN Plus team for help if the issue persists. They have experts who can understand the situation and resolve the problem.
They’ll either refresh your account or check any problem with it. To contact them, visit the ESPN Help Center.
Read Next: Can I Watch Spectrum TV Away from Home?
Now you know the causes of your ESPN Plus subscription not working issue. Our troubleshooting steps are simple. You can do them at home.
If none of them works, contact ESPN Plus customer support. They have experts to help diagnose and solve the problem.