If you are a regular user of iPlayer, then you would have a common doubt of how to download BBC iPlayer programmes permanently?
After all, BBC iPlayer has an expiry date of 30 days on all programmes downloaded to any device. But, there are a few methods to download them permanently.
You can change the DRM of the video, burn it to a DVD/storage device, screen record while playing, and use third-party software to download forever.
Read on to know in detail about each of these methods.
BBC iPlayer is available in the UK for all consumers. However, all the programmes
that you download on your PC or other devices stay active only for 30 days. After which, they fail to work or get deleted from the downloads library.
All the content on BBC iPlayer is DRM protected or has strong copyrights. Hence, keeping them over 30 days is illegal. But you can still download those programmes permanently using third-party apps.
Many users around the country are looking for ways to store their favourite movies, shows, and podcasts on BBC iPlayer permanently.
If you’re one of them, try one of the below-mentioned solutions:
Solution #1: Remove DRM
The main purpose of removing DRM from iPlayer downloaded programmes is to make it available for multiple devices transferring and viewing.
Some of the programmes in iPlayer are compatible with selected devices only. You can change this setting by using third-party DRM remover software.
One such popular tool is DRM Converter for Windows. Here are the general steps to remove DRM from iPlayer downloaded programmes.
- Download the DRM Converter for Windows.
- Open the tool.
- Choose the Add button to include iPlayer downloaded programmes of your choice.
- Select the output format for the conversion. You can choose for both audio and video files.
- Finally, click on Start to process the conversion.
Once the conversion is ready, the Find Target option will have the converted files. You can later proceed with the other steps to store forever.
You can also try DRM removal tools like Free DRM Removal for MAC that supports Mac OS from the market.
Solution #2: Burn To DVD or Storage Devices
Many would love to download BBC Radio iPlayer programmes permanently easily.
To do so, you can copy the DRM removed files to any storage device you like or store them safely in a DVD permanently.
If you choose to save the files to an external storage device, select the DRM converted files from the previous step. Next, copy them to any storage space of your choice on any device.
Alternatively, users can enjoy a combo software from Amersoft. They have a DRM Converter + DVD burner in a single tool. It is known as the Video Converter Ultimate.
Let’s see the steps to follow this tool for burning directly:
- Open the tool interface.
- Insert a DVD into your computer’s DVD panel.
- Click on the Burn option on the top tab.
- Choose the Add option to include the files for your burning process.
- Further, use the options on the Burn Settings tab to save the file.
- Select Burn to start the process.
The DRM Removal process takes place automatically while the burning happens. Once ready, open your DVD folder to check if the process is complete.
This way, your favourite programmes stay on your storage devices forever without any expiration date.
Solution #3: Screen Recording While Playing
Yet another method to save all the BBC iPlayer files permanently on your device is to screen record while playing on the iPlayer tool.
You have several third-party software to work through this option. Choose the one that is compatible with your operating system.
For example, you can use Wondershare UniConverter that works well on both Mac OS X 10.9+ and Windows 10/8/7.
The software works specifically well for iPlayer programmes.
The list of steps to work with the converter are given below:
- Open the Screen Recorder Tool.
- Select the Recorder Function.
- The converter gives options to record the screen in full or custom mode. Choose as per your need.
- Make adjustments to the canvas.
- Select the place for storage in your device, frame quality and rate for recording, etc.
- Start the recording process.
- Finally, you can save the video files in MP4, FLV, or AVI formats.
This converter works with audio files too. Minimal background noises deliver top-quality recordings. Similarly, during video recording, avoid moving the cursor to give any distractions.
Mac OS systems have software for screen recording called Quicktime Player.
- Power your Mac system and open the Quicktime tool.
- Select the File option, then New Screen Recording.
- You have several options to choose from on the page.
- It helps manage the quality and folders for saving.
- Finally, click the red circular button to stop recording.
Solution #4: Third-Party Video Downloaders
You have many third-party video downloaders that help save the video files directly to your system. Users can download these no-cost tools to include the link of files to save.
The list of tools that help download BBC iPlayer programmes are:
- iTube HD Video Downloader
All the tools work on a simple principle of adding the URL of BBC iPlayer video/audio to the downloader tool.
The steps to download in common are:
- Open BBC iPlayer in your web browser.
- Select the video you would like to save to your system.
- Copy the URL from the address bar.
- Paste the URL for download to the downloader of your choice.
- Once complete, see the downloads in your “Downloads” folder in the drive.
Given below are some things to note if you’re using third-party apps for your BBC iPlayer programmes:
1. As the entire process works with third-party tools, you may have to check if the software is still available.
2. Try getting the full version of the tool you choose after your trial version expires. The trial or free version may not help convert the DRM protection or burn your DVDs directly.
3. Check if your OS is compatible with the online software tools for the same.
4. Some operating systems have in-built tools like the recording software.
5. Have a thorough check of your OS files before proceeding to download them from any website.
6. Try getting tools from secure websites to keep your system safe.
Read Next: How to Get BBC iPlayer on Virgin Media?
To download BBC iPlayer programmes permanently, try removing DRM, screen recording the videos, downloading the videos using third-party apps, or burning them to a DVD or other storage device.
You can download BBC iPlayer programmes permanently through the above steps and tips. You have to rely on third-party tools to get the BBC iPlayer downloads to stay forever.
Remove the DRM and save it in storage-friendly formats. You could also burn the programmes on DVDs for a long time.
Else, download using the URL of the videos directly using video downloaders online and offline. We hope this guide will help you in enjoying your BBC iPlayer files permanently.