The DirecTV stream app not working on Firestick can be such a pain when you’re trying to kick back and watch the latest movie.
If this issue is bothering you, don’t worry, you’ve come to the right place. We’ll fix it in no time and you can get back to enjoying your movie.
The DirecTV stream app isn’t working on Firestick because it could be outdated, have network issues, or the storage is full. Quick fixes such as updating the app, clearing data and cache, or troubleshooting your network connectivity can easily resolve this issue.
Now that we know this problem is common and there are many ways to fix it, let’s get into the details of the various solutions for this issue.
There are a couple of reasons the DirecTV stream app isn’t working on Firestick.
Here are some of the common issues:
- Full Storage- You may experience problems streaming if your Firestick’s memory is almost full.
- Network Issues- Your WiFi or cellular network could be weak or completely disconnected.
- Outdated App- Streaming issues could also occur if you use an outdated DirecTV app.
The DirecTV stream app not working on Firestick can be a pain in the neck. Here are some of the best ways to fix this problem:
There are many notable reasons you need to delete some apps on your Firestick.
- Fix malfunctions
- Speed up your Firestick
- Remove unwanted apps
If you use the new version of the Firestick, you can follow these steps to delete any unwanted apps:
- Navigate to Settings and select Applications.
- On the Apps tab, scroll down to Manage Installed Applications.
- A list of all apps on your Firestick will display.
- Choose the app you want to delete and click on Uninstall on the next screen.
- Wait for a few seconds for the app to delete.
DirecTV previously released a preview app in the form of a beta version before releasing the current updated version.
The beta version was in the testing stages and had some bugs which caused the app to malfunction.
If you have the beta version, here’s how to uninstall it:
- Go to Firestick Settings and select Applications.
- Select Manage Installed Apps and choose DirecTV Now Beta.
- Click on Uninstall and also Force quit.
Factory resetting your Firestick could also be an effective solution. These are the steps for restoring your Firestick to factory condition:
- Press the Home button on the remote.
- Open Settings by pressing the Right button.
- Select My Fire TV (labeled as Device/System for the older Firestick).
- Scroll down to Reset Factory Defaults, select it and enter your PIN if it prompts you.
- Click Reset and wait for some minutes for the process to complete.
- The Firestick will then restart automatically, and you’ll have to set it like it’s the first time.
- It will then optimize the system storage & apps and restart again.
Note: All your downloaded content and account info is deleted during the factory reset, so it would be best to use this option as a last resort.
Here is how to fix any WiFi or cellular network issues on your Amazon Firestick:
- Inspect if something is blocking or weakening the WiFi signal to your Firestick.
- Restart your WiFi router or modem.
- Forget your WiFi network, then re-establish the connection again.
- Check for compatibility issues.
- Launch other apps on your Firestick and check whether they connect to the internet.
You could restart your Amazon Firestick by unplugging the power cable or adapter for a few seconds and then reconnecting it. You could also restart it from the menu.
Here is how to do it:
- Navigate to Settings.
- Choose My Fire TV.
- Select Restart and wait for a moment for the device to reboot.
Tip: Be cautious when selecting the restart option, as you could end up choosing Reset to Factory Defaults (directly below the Restart option) and clear out all your apps.
The Simplest way to update your DirecTV app on your Firestick is by enabling automatic updates.
The automatic updates upgrade all your apps, including DirecTV, to their up-to-date versions as long as the Firestick has a stable internet connection.
Here is how to enable the automatic updates:
- Go to the Home screen.
- Use the Right button on the Firestick remote control to navigate the menu.
- Select Settings and use the Right button again to find Applications.
- Scroll down to the Appstore.
- Press the circular center button to set On the Automatic Updates.
You could also update the DirecTV app manually by following these steps:
- Launch the Firestick and go to the Home screen.
- Press the Up button on the remote to select the Menu on your screen.
- Navigate to Apps using the Right button.
- Using the directional pad, scroll through to the DirecTV app.
- Press the circular center button to select it.
- If an update is available, the app will have an Update option. If no updates are available, it will only have the Open option.
- Select Update and wait for the process to finish.
Tip: Once your Firestick is through updating the DirecTV stream app, it will display the Open option.
If you’re having issues with your DirecTV app or any other app, resetting the app to fix the problems could be worth a shot.
Here is how to do it:
- Go to the Firestick Settings and select Applications.
- Select Manage Installed Applications and choose the DirecTV stream app.
- Select Clear cache and Clear data.
You can also uninstall and then reinstall the app to resolve the issue. Here is how to uninstall the DirecTV app from your Firestick:
- Navigate to Settings on your Firestick.
- Go to Applications.
- Choose Manage Installed Applications.
- Select the DirecTV stream app and click on it.
- Select Uninstall to remove the app.
For the reinstallation process, there are 2 ways to do it:
- Press the Right button on the remote until it’s highlighted, then press the Down button to display the Menu.
- Select Find on the home screen, then select Search.
- Type the name of the DirecTV and select the app icon.
- Start the download.
- Head to Find on the home screen and select the App Store.
- Search for the DirecTV app in the All Categories tab or the App Library.
- Click on Download.
The DirecTV stream app may not work on Firestick because the app is outdated, the Firestick’s memory is getting full, or issues with the network connection.
You can successfully troubleshoot the DirecTV stream not working on Firestick by:
- Checking and installing updates on your DirecTV stream app.
- Restarting the Firestick device.
- Uninstalling and reinstalling the app.
- Re-launching the DirecTV stream app and trying again.
- Clearing the DirecTV stream app cache and data.
- Factory resetting the Firestick (Last resort).
I hope that now you understand why the DirecTV stream app not working on Firestick, and I trust that you can quickly solve this issue using the various troubleshooting tips we’ve discussed.
If you’ve tried everything, but the problem persists, contact Amazon customer service for more technical support regarding the Firestick.
You can also get in touch with DirecTV customer support.
Kevin has over five years of experience working in various Tech startups and providing Technical solutions. He has contributed to many Tech publications and websites.