Whenever the DIRECTV remote red light stays on it does not mean anything good. In most cases, the red light could remain ON and stay lit if the remote is disconnected and unable to connect.
Even though there are quite a few possibilities, we’re going to address each of them!
The solution to a continuous red light on a DIRECTV remote includes a remote reset, battery inspection, pairing your remote over again, and possibly factory reset. Moreover, the issue could be from the receiver device which means that you’ll need to take a look at the TV if the issue continues.
The solution might sound simple but it is not. To help you understand better how to troubleshoot, next we’ve got the most frequently reported cause for a lit-up red light.
A red light on your DIRECTV remote usually means there is something wrong with the device.
In most cases, if you’ve exposed your remote to any kind of environmental damage, the red light could blink repeatedly or stay on until any disruption is gone.
Here are some occasions in which the red light could blink or stay on:
- Worn-out batteries – If the batteries got worn out, the remote will stay on for several hours before completely going off.
- Disconnected remote – If your remote got disconnected, it is possible that it will blink in red as it has no current receiver.
- Hardware issue – A dirty or damaged hardware might as well make the red light stay on to indicate the issue.
- Memory failure – Sometimes a memory failure could cause the red light to stay on and make your remote unusable.
Your issue is most likely to be related to one of the above-described causes and next, we’ll find out exactly which one it would be.
Now that you know the things that might have impacted your remote, let’s start closing up the circle possibilities with our proven solutions.
A remote power refresh will drain the current electricity within your remote, granting it a cold boot when the batteries are reinserted. Many users suggested this solution helpful for their remotes, so it will most likely work for you as well.
To perform a power refresh on your remote, follow these instructions:
- Open the battery compartment underneath your DIRECTV remote.
- Eject the batteries carefully.
- Put them aside, and hold each button on the remote for 3 seconds.
- Once you’re finished, re-insert the batteries and put the compartment back together.
If the power refresh didn’t help, then perhaps the batteries might be warned out. Please replace the DIRECTV remote batteries before you continue.
This is one of the most important things to do before you continue any further. You’ll learn how to properly restart your TV and check if that would resolve the problem.
Here is how to power refresh your TV device:
- Turn off the TV using the hardware power button or your remote if possible.
- Unplug the power adapter and wait for several minutes.
- Once you’ve waited, plug the cable back into the source.
Note: A faulty strip or divider might cause issues with your TV, making your DIRECTV remote stay on a red light.
In that regard, make sure to plug your TV into a wall outlet to avoid such possibilities.
If the red light on the DIRECTV remote is still on, a reset on your DIRECTV will refurbish all configurations to default, possibly fixing your issue. This is a reset that requires a button sequence so pay close attention!
Here is how to reset your remote:
- Press and hold SELECT + MUTE on your DIRECTV remote.
- Wait until the light flashes three times.
- Insert the special confirm key 9-8-1 and press the SELECT button afterward.
- The remote will flash several times now and afterward, it should be reset.
Once ready you can check if the remote is finally fixed. If the red light is still there, unfortunately, there are not a lot of possibilities left. Let’s jump into the next solution!
In the previous method, we have performed a reset which also disconnects the remote from your TV.
By default, the remote should have connected to your TV automatically but if the red light is still ON, then it did not.
Here is the manual way to pair your remote with the TV:
- Point your DIRECTV remote towards the TV and press the setup button.
- Wait until the TV starts blinking and press the power button.
- Wait for the TV to turn OFF.
If your TV turns off, then you’ve successfully paired the remote to your TV. Next, turn your TV on and check if the red light is still blinking.
If yes, then there is one more thing that you can do at home, so let’s jump right in!
If the DIRECTV remote red light stays on there is the possibility of a lot of dust particles within your remote’s hardware.
It might as well result in inactive buttons and other unwanted experiences you want to avoid of course.
To clear the remote, follow the steps below:
- Open the battery compartment.
- Take the batteries OUT.
- Unscrew the 2 screws right next to the battery compartment.
- Flip the remote back over and take a sharp object (knife, for, flat-head screwdriver).
- Reach in between the remote top panel and bottom block and create an opening.
- Pop OUT the upper panel.
- Clean the insights of the remote with a slight wet napkin (focus on the PCB).
- Close the remote.
If the red light is gone congratulations, you did it! But if it’s still there you might need to call DIRECTV for additional help, but odds are that you’ll need a new remote.
Read Next: How to Fix DIRECTV Stuck on One Channel?
To fix a red light on the DIRECTV remote, first power refreshes your remote and TV afterward. Then, re-pair the remote, replace the batteries, and if nothing works perform an entire reset.
Now when you know why DIRECTV TV remote red light stays on it should be easier for you to troubleshoot the issue at home.
If you were unable to solve the problem on your own you can always reach out to DIRECTV customer service for additional assistance.
If this article was helpful to you and you’re having other issues with your TV or the devices connected to it, then our blog will be the perfect solution source.