Wondering why Cobra microTALK won’t turn on? Keep reading!
The Cobra microTALK walkie-talkie, will not turn on when the power income is impacted, more specifically the batteries are out of order. The solution involved, power-cycling the radio, repositioning the battery strap, and thoroughly inspecting the equipment.
Let’s next learn more about why the problem appears in the first place!
Your Cobra walkie-talkies tend to work on batteries, which must have an available charge to keep the walkie-talkie up and running.
Either way, a particular charge is required to power on your Cobra MicroTALK radio and receive frequencies sent by other radio users.
Here are the reasons why you cannot turn on your Cobra walkie Talkie:
- The batteries of your Cobra microTALK walkie aren’t inserted correctly
- The defensive battery strap (ribbon) is positioned improperly
- There are obstructions within the battery compartment of the radio
- The battery of the walkie-talkie has run out of charge!
No matter what the source of this issue is, we will guide you through a complete guide which will also help to identify the root of the problem and prevent it in the future!
Here are the solutions recommended by users with the same radio problem as you!
As we’ve already clarified, your Cobra microTALK radio being unable to turn on is mainly caused due to issues with the Power Supply.
We did our best to extract only the proven-to-work solutions for you to attempt on your Cobra radio to resolve this issue.
Note: Make sure to follow the order of our solutions and test the device after each one!
Here’s how to fix whenever your Cobra microTALK walkie-talkie won’t turn on:
First, it’s suggested to check if your Cobra microTALK radio is really unable to be turned on.
The best way to justify that is to attempt the long Power Button press method.
In general, your walkie-talkies tend to take 2 up to 3 seconds of holding the power button in order to start up. With this solution, you will semi-discharge the device and perform a test.
In that regard, grab your Cobra microTALK walkie-talkie and locate the Power Button.
The button is usually installed on either of the side panels (based on model) and is made out of rubber. Press and hold the button and keep holding it for at least 30 seconds!
Once that time has elapsed, let go of the button and wait for your walkie-talkie to beep.
Notice: In case the device is not turning on, then the power income is involved!
Inside the walkie-talkie’s battery compartment, there is a Battery Safety Strip.
It is used to enable users to easily eject the batteries that are inside of their walkie-talkies.
Sometimes this strap (ribbon) may push one of the batteries, preventing them from making contact.
Here’s how to open your walkie-talkie’s battery compartment and adjust the ribbon:
- Locate the Battery Compartment on the back of your Cobra walkie.
- Find the Release Switch of the compartment cover.
- Take off the Grip Part with a slight upward force.
- Using your thumb, press the switch and take it off by pulling it towards you.
- Expose the batteries inside the compartment.
- Grab the Protective Ribbon and pull it towards you.
- Give all batteries a Push to make sure that they are all the way in.
- Close the battery compartment.
When you’re ready, test whether the device would be able to turn on. In case the issue is persistent, we need to further inspect the power income of the Cobra micro TALK radio.
Note: The ribbon sometimes gets stuck between the batteries, ejecting them out.
The next thing you could test out is the Power Discharge Process on your Cobra walkie radio.
What this process does, is essentially cause all of the electricity currently within your walkie-talkie to be discharged, which will refresh both the software and hardware.
A power discharge on your Cobra microTALK walkie-talkie is done like this:
- Follow the instructions in the Previous Step to take off the battery compartment.
- Once the batteries are exposed, pull them out.
- Standby for 5 Minutes while the walkie-talkie is discharging.
- Reposition the Battery Ribbon on the bottom of the compartment.
- Proceed to place the batteries back inside the top of the battery ribbon.
- Ensure that all batteries are inserted correctly.
- Close the battery compartment.
It’s still not clear whether the device will now turn on or not, but make sure to test before proceeding further.
In case it does, we still need to make sure that the batteries are OK!
Note: You must hear a click once the batteries have come all the way into the compartment.
Perhaps, the batteries inside of your Cobra microTALK walkie-talkie are already out of business and require changing.
Especially if left for a longer period, the batteries inside could leak and damage the battery compartment and electric poles of your walkie-talkie.
- The Cobra microTALK walkie-talkie uses 3 AAA batteries!
Once you have the replacement batteries, here’s how to replace them:
- Take off the Grip Part on the walkie-talkie’s back panel by pulling it upwards.
- Open the Battery Compartment.
- Take out the 3 AAA Batteries inside.
- Grab your new, replacement batteries.
- Position them inside of the compartment (make sure to match the “-” and the “+”).
- Once installed the batteries, Close the Compartment.
- Insert the grip part back into its place (this time slide it into the opening downwards).
With the new batteries, there is a high chance that your Cobra microTALK device will turn on and in case it doesn’t, things might not be good.
However, we’ve got really powerful solutions coming up next.
Alert: Avoid using old or used replacement batteries for your Cobra microTALK walkie-talkie!
Although your Cobra microTALK walkie-talkie cannot start, you should still attempt the software reset sequence to check how that goes.
What a reset does, is essentially erase all channel settings of your walkie-talkie radio and reset the software.
Therefore any channel adjustments made will be erased and deleted.
Here’s how to reset your faulty walkie-talkie in easy-to-follow instructions:
- On your walkie-talkie, locate the Power Button.
- Next, find the Talk Button (on the front panel of the device).
- Press and hold the Power and Talk buttons at the same time.
- Keep holding the buttons for 5 Seconds.
- Wait for any output from your Cobra walkie-talkie.
If your Cobra microTALK walkie-talkie makes any sound, it means that the reset has been accepted and undergoing. You’ll need to wait that out and check how it goes!
Note: If your walkie-talkie doesn’t respond to the reset, then the device is still not getting power or has stopped working.
The last thing you could attempt at home is to clean the battery compartment of your Cobra microTALK walkie-talkie.
If there is an obstruction, dust, or plenty of debris inside of the compartment, this will prevent the batteries from making contact with the electric poles.
This will leave your walkie-talkie without power and prevent it from being turned on.
Here’s how to quickly clean your Cobra microTALK’s battery compartment:
- Get a slightly wet cloth along with an Alchohol Doser.
- Have a few drops of alcohol onto the Wet Cloth.
- Open the Battery Compartment of the radio.
- Eject the batteries out of the device.
- Put the defensive strap away.
- Using the wet cloth, collect All Dust inside of the compartment.
- Wait for the walkie-talkie to completely dry out.
- Re-build your walkie-talkie’s battery compartment.
- Check if the device works.
Note: Make sure not to overdo alcohol drops or water onto the cloth since this could damage the radio’s compartment.
If your Cobra microTALK walkie-talkies still don’t work, perhaps the device has reached its end-life.
Although walkie-talkies offer an exceedingly long time of usage, they could get faulty after a drop, water damage, or simple hardware malfunction.
You could deliver the walkie-talkie to a nearby technician and they will take it apart and tell you what’s wrong with it.
Then, you could buy the replacement parts that the technician will require and give them to them so they can repair your walkie-talkie.
After all, you could also purchase a replacement Cobra microTALK radio!
Read Next: WiFi Router Not Working After Reset?
Thus, the microTALK radio won’t work when the batteries are worn-out or the device is experiencing hardware problems. What we can do at home is discharge the device, insert fresh batteries and hold the power button to see whether this will work.
Now that we know why Cobra MicroTALK won’t turn on and how to solve the problem in minutes, we no longer have to struggle.
It’s important to remember that devices sometimes malfunction and professional care is necessary.
Kevin has over five years of experience working in various Tech startups and providing Technical solutions. He has contributed to many Tech publications and websites.