Can you shower with Fitbit Charge 5? If you’re wondering if the new Fitbit Charge 5 is waterproof, you’re on the right page!
Fitbits are excellent fitness trackers that help you stay fit. With millions of users, there are going to be a few that will use it in the shower.
Let’s find out how safe it is to use in the shower!
The Fitbit Charge 5 is water-resistant and can be used in the shower. However, to maintain its water resistance, it’s advisable to rinse it properly after each shower to prevent soap and shampoo buildup that could compromise its features.
Before we answer more of your questions about showering with your Fitbit Charge 5, here’s everything you need to know about its water permeability.
Is the Fitbit Charge 5 Waterproof: What You Need to Know
Fitbit Charge 5 has a water-resistance rating that allows you to use it in the shower.
But before you jump in, make sure that your wristband is showerproof too.
Following a shower, you should also wipe down the fitness tracker and its band.
- Know the difference between waterproof and water resistance
- Know your Fitbit’s water exposure guidelines
- Know if the Charge 5 can handle bathing and showering
- Know if you can swim or shower with your Fitbit
- Know how to care for your fitness tracker properly
Now you know you can shower with your Fitbit Charge 5. Let’s drill down the most popular questions and learn what you can and cannot do with your fitness tracker.
Can You Shower With Fitbit Charge 5: Your Questions Answered
After a long day at the gym, jumping right into the bathroom to wash off dirt and sweat can be tempting. But can you shower with Fitbit Charge 5, or do you need to take it off first?
The answer is yes, you can wear your Fitbit Charge 5 into the shower. However, you should avoid dousing it with soap.
Is My Fitbit Charge 5 Waterproof or Water-Resistant
To understand why the answer to the question: Can you shower with Fitbit Charge 5 is yes, you need to know the difference between waterproof and water-resistant.
Many people believe that these two are interchangeable, but they’re completely different.
Waterproof means you can completely submerge an object and not worry about water damage. It will be completely dry and free of water particles when removed from the water.
Water-resistant, on the other hand, an object can resist water penetration to some degree.
Here’s what you need to know about your Fitbit Charge 5 water-resistance rating:
- Your Fitbit Charge 5 is water-resistant up to 50 meters.
- Suitable for swimming in shallow water.
- Showering with your tracker poses no issues.
- Great for activities where the tracker is briefly submerged.
Pro Tip: Your Fitbit Charge 5 is not intended for deep water activities like scuba diving and other fast water sports.
Is It Safe to Expose My Fitbit to Water
Now that you know more about your Fitbit’s water-resistance features, you can understand how to use it in the water safely.
There will be many scenarios where your fitness tracker will be exposed to water.
Showering is going to be one of them. Working out in the rain is also something similar that your Fitbit Charge 5 can handle well.
There is no question that you can continue to wear and use your Fitbit in these situations. You won’t have to worry about dealing with damage or performance issues.
Here are some of the ways your Fitbit can get wet without causing problems:
- A day at the beach or a swim at a lake or pond
- Water activities like kayaking and canoeing.
- Short swim workout in a pool.
- Showering with your tracker on.
- Exercising in the rain
Note: As long as you stay outside the 50-meter mark, your Fitbit Charge 5 should be fine with some water exposure.
Are There Risks If I Shower With My Fitbit On
Since your Fitbit is not fully waterproof, it’s important to understand the risks and limitations to avoid potentially damaging your device.
You need to know a few things so you don’t just go about and use your fitness tracker in every water activity.
Here are the risks and limitations of your Fitbit’s water resistance:
- It can only handle depths up to 50 meters or 165 feet for 30 minutes.
- Quick changes in temperature and pressure can affect water resistance.
- Not designed to withstand hot water and steam.
- Wear and tear on the seals and gaskets can affect their water resistance.
Note: The best way to limit the risks of water damage on your Fitbit is to take it off before you shower or use it in the pool.
What Happens If I Get My Fitbit Wet
Since fitness trackers like Fitbits can monitor your workouts, you must always have them on. One exercise that the Fitbit Charge 5 can track is swimming.
It’s good that it’s water-resistant, so it can handle splashes and work even if partially submerged.
Since your Fitbit is not full-on waterproof, getting them wet has potential consequences. Whether you’re swimming or showering, it’s best to understand what happens when they’re exposed to water.
Here are the things that happen with your Fitbit when they get wet:
- Water can seep inside gaps and lose seals, reaching the internal circuits.
- Water can interfere with sensors causing them to malfunction.
- Moisture can build up inside the screen and cause it to fog up.
- Moisture that’s left on your tracker can cause corrosion.
- Water damage can shorten your device’s battery life.
Activating My Fitbit’s Water Lock Feature
There is an effective way to protect your Fitbit Charge 5 in water. You can’t avoid getting it wet in some instances, and activating the water lock feature can help minimize exposure and damage.
It’s a feature that ensures your tracker’s screen doesn’t inadvertently light up when you’re in the shower or the pool.
Here’s how to activate your Fitbit’s water lock:
- Swipe down from the clock screen.
- Tap on the Water Lock option.
- Tap on the screen twice to confirm.
- Double tap the middle of your tracker’s screen to turn it off.
Note: While your Fitbit's water lock is turned on, it will continue to track your activities but won't allow you to activate the display.
Avoiding Water Damage to My Fitbit Charge 5
Since your Fitbit Charge 5 is only water-resistant and not entirely waterproof, you will actively take steps to avoid getting it wet.
Now, using it in the shower and even tracking your swimming workouts is safe. Exposing your fitness tracker to water on a regular basis can cause serious damage.
Whenever you get it wet, you must follow some preventative measures to protect it from water damage.
Here’s how to avoid water damage to your Fitbit Charge 5:
- Get rid of dirt and sweat that can affect water resistance.
- Don’t use abrasive cleaners and soaps while cleaning your Fitbit.
- Use a soft, dry cloth to dry your Fitbit immediately if it gets wet.
- Ensure that all ports and crevices are dry to prevent water from accumulating.
- If your Fitbit has a removable band, clean and dry it.
Note: You also want to check for any cracks or signs of wear on your device, as this can compromise its water resistance.
If you can’t help it, you can surely shower with your Fitbit Charge 5. However, you need to add some extra steps to ensure that it continues to be in excellent condition.
If you have issues with water damage, you can always contact Fitbit customer support.
Now that you know the answer to can you shower with Fitbit Charge 5, you can make that decision yourself.
It’s still highly recommended that you remove it, but it should generally be fine to use it in the shower occasionally.
Finn Wheatley holds a Master’s Degree in Computer Science from UCL, London. He helped small data science consultancy firms, helping large corporations to grow their data capabilities, deploy advanced machine learning-based analytics and troubleshoot tech-related issues.