Most people seeking to get a Frontier plan often ask, how can I use my own router with Frontier?
You need to decide between using a Frontier router and a third-party router for various reasons. First, you should consider the cost of the router. Besides, you want to get the most effective option. This is why we have done our best to let you know what choice you can make.
You can use your own router with Frontier as long as it is either a DSL or a Fibre-supported one. The Frontier modem only supports DSL and Fiber routers. These routers should be dua band and meet Frontier connectivity standards.
Keep on reading to find out more about setting up your Frontier Internet with your own router. We also look at the pros and cons of using your own router with Frontier.
The Pros and Cons of Using a Third-Party Router With Frontier
You may be wondering, do I have to use Frontier router? The simple answer is no.
It is not a must you use a Frontier router if you are getting a Frontier Plan. Even so, there are pros and cons of using a third-party router.
The first benefit of using your own router is that you reduce the cost of setting up. Those who use Frontier routers have to pay heavily for the equipment.
Besides the cost factor, there are other benefits that may make you consider using your own router as shown below.
The pros of using Third-party routers are:
- You want to use a router that provides the freedom to customize your internet. If you feel that your current router offers more customization, you can use it.
- You get to utilize any equipment you have at home that you are not using.
- It supports specific software or processes that are not supported by the Frontier router.
Cons of Using third party router:
- The router might be more costly than those offered by Frontier
- You will not get to enjoy Frontier support services in case anything goes wrong
- You have to do plenty of research to find out the best router option to use with Frontier.
How Can I Use My Own Router With Frontier– Facts
We have already established that you can use your own router with Frontier.
So, we must now answer the question of how can you use your own router with Frontier. If you choose to go with your own router, remember that not all routers work.
Now we are going to look at the facts to consider when using your own router with Frontier.
1. Types of Routers That Work With Frontier
It is a fact that not all routers will work with Frontier. Frontier offers two types of internet services – DSL and Fiber, and each requires a different type of modem.
The main routers that are supported by Frontier are DSL or Fiber-supported ones.
Below are some compatible modems for each service:
✅ DSL Modems:
- Actiontec GT784WN
- Netgear DM200
- Zyxel C1100Z
- Technicolor C2000T
- Motorola MD1600
✅ Fiber Modems:
- Arris NVG468MQ
- Nokia G-240W-C
- Fios G1100
- Fios G3100
- Zyxel F2250
Note: Not all modems are compatible with Frontier's network, even if they are designed for DSL or Fiber service. Before purchasing a modem, be sure to check with Frontier or the manufacturer to confirm.
2. DSL Router Connection Criteria With Frontier Modem
DSL routers work by connecting to a DSL modem through an Ethernet cable. If you have a Frontier Modem, then you are free to use your DSL router of choice.
The DSL modem is connected to the phone line. It converts the digital data from your computer into a signal.
It is this signal that is transmitted over the phone line to the internet service provider (ISP). The ISP then sends the data to the internet.
How DSL routers work:
- Your computer or device sends data to the DSL router using Wi-Fi or an Ethernet cable.
- The DSL router receives the data and sends it to the Frontier DSL modem through an Ethernet cable.
- The DSL modem converts the data into a digital signal that can be transmitted over the phone line.
- The digital signal is sent over the phone line to the ISP.
- The ISP receives the data and sends it to the appropriate website or service on the internet.
- The website or service responds with the requested data, and the process is reversed.
- The ISP sends the data back to the DSL modem over the phone line.
- The DSL modem converts the digital signal back into data that can be understood by your computer.
- The data is sent back to the DSL router and then to your computer or device.
3. You Have to Carry out the Connection Personally
The other fact that most people do not consider is the extra accessories necessary to connect the router to Modem or ONT.
If you purchase your router, you will also have to purchase the necessary cables for connection.
The good news is that these accessories are not very costly. After buying the accessories, you have to carry out the connection yourself. Below are some steps you can follow to connect your router to the modem.
How to connect the third-party router to the Frontier modem.
- Turn off and unplug both the Frontier modem or ONT and the router you want to connect.
- Connect an Ethernet cable from one of the LAN ports on the Frontier modem or ONT
- Connect the other end to the WAN or Internet port on your router.
- Plug in and turn on the Frontier modem or ONT and wait for it to fully boot up.
- Plug in and turn on your router and wait for it to fully boot up.
- Connect a computer to the new router using an Ethernet cable or Wi-Fi.
- Log in to the router’s web interface by entering the default IP address. For most routers is 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1, but this may vary depending.
- Configure your router’s network settings, such as the SSID and password for your Wi-Fi network.
4. Connect Your Fiber Router to Frontier Modem
It is important to note that your Fiber router must be compatible with Frontier’s network in order to work properly.
With that said, you can connect your fiber router to the Frontier modem successfully. The beauty of fiber routers is that they have multiple ports and also are enhanced with a firewall.
To set up your fiber router, make sure you have your Frontier accounts details such as username and password.
How to connect Fibre router to Frontier Modem
- Turn off and unplug both the Frontier modem and your new Fiber router.
- Connect an Ethernet cable from the WAN port of the Fiber router to one of the LAN ports on the Frontier modem.
- Plug in and turn on the Frontier modem and wait for it to fully boot up.
- Plug in and turn on your Fiber router and wait for it to fully boot up.
- Connect a computer or other device to the new router using an Ethernet cable or Wi-Fi.
- Log in to the router’s admin panel by entering the IP address into a web browser.
- Configure your router’s network settings, including the SSID and password.
Test your connection by opening a web browser and accessing a website.
If you have been asking can I use my own router with Frontier, you have your answer. It is possible to use your own router on Frontier.
Even so, there are several considerations you must make. You should ensure that your router is either DLS or Fibre supported.
You should also ensure that it is compatible with Frontier. If all the factors above work, proceed and use your own router.
Read Next: How to Return Frontier Router?
Finn Wheatley holds a Master’s Degree in Computer Science from UCL, London. He helped small data science consultancy firms, helping large corporations to grow their data capabilities, deploy advanced machine learning-based analytics and troubleshoot tech-related issues.