It can be quite frustrating when your AirPods aren’t as loud as they used to be. Despite applying the full volume on your device, you might still feel that your AirPods are playing tricks on you.
This is a situation many people go through and cannot explain. This happens even if the AirPods were loud enough at the beginning.
To solve Apple AirPods not being as loud as they used to be, you should recalibrate them.
Recalibrating AirPods simply means factory resetting them.
In this process, you must disconnect your AirPods from all connected devices.
You will then use the Reset button to restore factory settings some cases, all you have to do is balance the volume on the AirPods.
If the volume on the left AirPod is different from the right one, you may feel as if they are not loud enough. Read further to solve this problem.
Causes of the Apple AirPods Volume Problems
There are a few causes that lead to this problem. In most cases, it is just a matter of adjusting device settings.
The main causes are as follows:
- Differences in the volume and power of devices that are often used with the same AirPods.
- Differences in the volume of the two AirPods
- Dirt such as wax has clogged the pores on the AirPods
- The Airpods have a technical glitch that can be resolved by factory resetting.
Solutions to AirPods Aren’t as Loud as they Used to Be
To deal with the problem of AirPods not being as loud as they used to be, you must start by addressing the common issues.
In most cases, the issue lies in the differences in volume and power of devices.
Some devices have high volumes and are more powerful. Others are less powerful and are likely to sound less powerful.
With that said, you must inspect all potential problems and find the best solution. Below are the main solutions to this problem.
Solution #1 Adjust Volume Settings on Different Devices
The first solution is to specifically adjust the volume on the device you are using.
If you have been using the AirPods on your iPhone, then you switch to your MacBook you should expect some differences. The opposite is also true.
Laptops and notebooks tend to have more power than phones. Even so, you can still adjust the volume of your device to give quality output on your AirPods.
Below are the steps to adjust AirPod volume on different devices.
How to adjust AirPod Volumes on Mac
- Press the Volume Up button on your Mac Keyboard
- The Volume bar will appear indicating your AirPods volume
- If the Volume is low, drag the Slider to the Right
- Set the Volume to your preferred range and enjoy
Note: This only adjusts the Mac volume and may not be effective if your AirPods are actually damaged.
How to Adjust AirPods Volume With Siri
If you are using Siri to control your devices, you may ask the device to adjust the volume.
The command you issue will determine how high the volume will be set.
You may use the following commands
- “Hey Siri, turn up the volume”- This will adjust your AirPod Volume upwards
- “Hey Siri turn up the full volume” – This will set your Airpod Volume to full
Note: If you think that your AirPods are not loud enough you should simply request Siri or even Alexa to set up full volume.
If you still feel the volume is low try the other options below.
Adjusting Volume on AirPods Pro
Adjusting the AirPod volume on the 2nd generation AirPods is much easier.
These AirPods actually give you much control over the volume as opposed to relying on the volume of the device.
- With your AirPods on and connected to the device, Swipe Up on the stem to increase the volume.
- Swipe Down on the stem to reduce the volume
If all these options do not still give satisfactory volume, you should consider cleaning your AirPods.
Solution #2 Clean Your AirPods for Better Sound
Most people never consider cleaning their AirPods simply because they think it is not possible.
Well, if you have been using your AirPods for a while, chances are that they are clogged.
Your AirPods will either not give out a clear sound or will be muffled if dirt is blocking the pores.
AirPods are exposed to thick wax in your ears that require very regular cleaning.
It is recommended to clean AirPods at least once every three months. However, you should be careful with the cleaning process so that they do not get damaged.
How to clean Apple AirPods
- Unpair your AirPods from our device and turn them off
- Remove the soft rubber tips from your AirPods
- Immerse a cotton wool swab in a 70 to 90-percent alcoholic cleaning solution of your choice
- Clean all the corners of the AirPod well one at a time and dry them with a paper towel or a piece of clean cloth
- You can use a soft toothbrush to scrub out any wax or debris that is held within the pores
- Do the same for the AirPod soft tip covers and let them all dry
- Return the soft covers on the tips of your AirPods and enjoy your full range of music.
Note: Do not use water or liquid soap when cleaning your AirPods.
You might only apply liquid soap when cleaning the outer cover of the case and not the sensitive electronic components.
Solution #3 Recalibrate AirPods to Your iPhone
AirPods that are often used over different devices can easily get messed up.
If you often use your AirPods on other devices or on separate devices, chances are that they need recalibrating.
What this means is that you should factory reset the AirPods so that they get in new sync with your phone’s settings.
How to recalibrate AirPods with iPhone
- Place the AirPods in Charging Case and leave the lid open
- Open the Bluetooth Settings page on your phone with the earbuds still in the case
- Find the AirPods under Bluetooth Settings and click on the “i” icon
- Tap on Forget This Device and then Confirm
- Your phone will disconnect from AirPods to enable resetting
- Press and hold – Setup Button on your AirPods for about 15 Seconds
- Do not close the case lid until the LED flashes amber
- This will reset your AirPods to factory mode and you should be able to enjoy your music at full volume.
Note: You must also unpair your AirPods from any other paired active device within your vicinity for the process to be possible.
If they are still paired to your TV or audio system, you will not be successful.
Solution #4 Adjust Both Airpods to the Same Volume
The other cause of the problem of low volume is an imbalance in the volumes for the left and right ear earbuds.
If one of the earbuds is louder than the other, you will not get the desired volume. To deal with this problem, you may simply adjust both earbuds to balance the output.
How to balance AirPods volume on your iPhone
- Connect your AirPods to your iPhone
- On your, iPhone open the Settings App
- Tap on Accessibility
- Under the Hearing, option select Audio/Visual
- Drag both the left and Right sliders under the balance to the middle
This should balance the volume of your AirPods and you should be able to enjoy your music at full volume whenever you wish.
Solution #5 Adjust Airpod Comfort Covers for Better Fit
Finally, you might be suffering from a problem that can be fixed by simply fitting your AirPods well. If you ever changed the AirPods tip soft covers, they could be the problem.
The tip comfort covers play a major role in supporting clarity. If the covers you have used do not fit well in your ears, you may not get the right volume.
How to solve the tip foam covers problem
- Adjust tip foam covers to ensure that they are fitting well
- If you recently changed tip foam covers, try getting original ones from Amazon
- Try swabbing your tip soft covers to ensure that they align with the appropriate ears
If your Apple AirPods aren’t as loud as they used to be, you have to take the necessary steps to make them better.
Among the steps, you may take include adjusting their volume on different devices.
You may also factory reset your AirPods to attain the best volume.
Finn Wheatley holds a Master’s Degree in Computer Science from UCL, London. He helped small data science consultancy firms, helping large corporations to grow their data capabilities, deploy advanced machine learning-based analytics and troubleshoot tech-related issues.