Whenever the Xfinity WiFi hotspot not working, it’s first important to determine whether the receiver is facing difficulties or the connected device.
In this guide, we’ll cover all variants for Xfinity WiFi hotspot on popular operating systems – Windows, MacOS, Android, and iOS.
When the Xfinity WiFi hotspot is not working, reboot the transmitter device and ensure that the hotspot is enabled correctly.
In case surrounding devices can’t connect, inspect your Xfinity account and proceed by performing a network reset on the involved devices.
Let’s begin unwrapping in more depth!
How To Fix When Xfinity WiFi HotSpot Not Working?
Tip: Follow the steps in consecutive order!
1. Enable WiFi HotSpot Correctly!
Enable Xfinity HotSpot Android:
On any Android device, sharing the mobile hotspot happens almost identical with the exception when the firmware is outdated.
Here’s how to enable Xfinity WiFi hotspot correctly on Android:
- From the home screen go into Settings.
- Tap on Connections or Mobile HotSpot.
- Tap on the toggle to switch the feature on.
Tip: The personal hotspot on Android can also be accessed from the Quick Menu!
Enable Xfinity HotSpot on iOS:
On iPhones and iPads with mobile Xfinity service, it’s easy to share hotspot but there is one general dependence.
Follow the steps below to enable Xfinity WiFi hotspot from an iOS device:
- From the home screen go into Settings.
- Tap on the WiFi and set the toggle OFF.
- Go back and enter Personal HotSpot.
- Enable the toggle and select WiFi Only.
Enable Xfinity HotSpot on Windows:
To share a hotspot through a Windows computer you would need to have a wireless adapter plugged into the USB, so you can share the Xfinity internet.
This method works on Windows 11 and Windows 10, so follow the steps below to correctly enable your Xfinity WiFi hotspot.
- On Windows 11 or 10 go into the Control Panel.
- Click on the “Network and Sharing Center”.
- Select “Change Adapter Settings” on the left.
- Right-click the wireless adapter and select “Properties”.
Tip: Alternatively, press the Windows key + R, then type in: - services.msc and search for Windows Mobile HotSpot Service!
Enable Xfinity HotSpot MacOS:
On Macbooks, you easily share the Xfinity hotspot by going into the Apple Menu > System Settings > General > Sharing.
You may need to scroll down and then select the “share your connection from” button and select the Xfinity internet source to share.
Then another device should be able to see and connect to the newly created Xfinity WiFi hotspot.
Note: You can connect mobile devices to a laptop hotspot by enabling WiFi + Bluetooth on both devices or connecting your computer to the mobile hotspot.
2. Soft-Reset the Xfinity HotSpot!
The soft reset or also known as power circulation is one of the most-effective methods that will certainly refresh the Xfinity WiFi hotspot.
The process involves unplugging the Xfinity mobile or computer from the power and then re-enabling the WiFi hotspot.
To be precise, begin by turning off your Xfinity internet source device using the power button and then unplug the device from the power outlet.
If you’re using a smartphone, simply hold the power button, shutdown (not restart) the device, and power on after a few moments.
Reminder: After the power circulation, use the tutorial from the previous step to enable the Xfinity WiFi hotspot correctly.
3. Inspect your Xfinity Account
In case you didn’t know the Xfinity WiFi hotspot consumes your Xfinity mobile data, when shared and when devices are connected (based on activity).
If your Xfinity mobile plan does not include unlimited data, then it’s recommended to check the Xfinity account for any limitations.
- When the Xfinity mobile data is over, the speed of the internet and personal hotspot will be at a minimal speed, sometimes unusable.
To check your Xfinity account and your mobile data status, download the Xfinity Mobile App from Google Play or the App Store and go to “My Account”.
You can also text “APP” to 266278, and by navigating to the Overview screen you should be able to see the current data usage.
4. Reset Mobile Network Settings
When you’re using a mobile smartphone or a tablet with an Xfinity SIM card and the WiFi hotspot is not working, perhaps it’s due to a fault with the network settings.
The best course of action would be to reset the settings clean and test whether the Xfinity hotspot will work.
Info: This process only erases the WiFi connections, Bluetooth, cellular settings, and proxy!
Reset Network Settings on Android:
- Go to Settings > System > Advanced > Reset Options > Reset Network Settings
Reset Network Settings on iPhone:
- Settings > General > Transfer or Reset iPhone > Reset > Reset Network Settings
Alert: We do NOT recommend resetting the network settings on a Windows or a MacOS computer without the availability of your internet service provider!
5. Move Xfinity WiFi Hotspot Closer!
Not all devices have the same hotspot capabilities and your Xfinity WiFi hotspot might be weak due to the device’s HW limitations.
This is why, you should test whether the Xfinity WiFi hotspot would work from close proximity between the devices that are involved.
In case the device used to share the Xfinity WiFi hotspot is stationary, simply use your phone to attempt connecting to the hotspot from the spot.
In case you’re unable to connect to the Xfinity WiFi hotspot even from close proximity, continue reading the next step!
6. Optimize Xfinity Service Reception!
One of the likable reasons why the Xfinity hotspot from your mobile is not working could be due to bad signal coverage.
The signal strength can be checked by looking at the top-right or left corner of the home screen of your smartphone.
The mobile hotspot won’t work as efficiently as it has to when the signal bars are 2 or fewer, and optimizing the connection might be challenging.
The most important factor to know is that the Xfinity mobile hotspot might not be working if you’re away from a city or away from a tower.
Tip: Avoid being underground or try to go outside in an attempt to improve the Xfinity signal reception.
Xfinity WiFi HotSpot Not Working on iPhone?
If you can’t connect an iPhone to the Xfinity WiFi hotspot, perhaps it’s due to an inconsistent wireless signal from the transmitter.
In order to purely test whether the Xfinity hotspot is working or not, begin by disabling the Mobile Data (cellular internet) from the iPhone’s Settings.
In case you’re facing a “connection error” to the Xfinity hotspot, follow the steps below:
- Open the Settings app and disable Mobile Data & WiFi.
- Tap on the Personal Hotspot tab and set the toggle OFF.
- Go back to the Home Screen and swipe the Quick Menu.
- Toggle ON and then OFF then Airplane Mode from the icon.
- Hold the Power button on the side or top of the iPhone.
- When the power options appear, select “slide to power off”.
- After 30 seconds, turn on your iPhone with the power button.
- Open Settings, and tap on Personal Hotspot to share Xfinity WiFi.
- Alternatively, enable the WiFi and attempt to connect to Xfinity.
Tip: It’s also recommended to reseat the Xfinity mobile SIM, just in case the connection and signal coverage is completely lost.
Xfinity WiFi HotSpot Not Working on Laptop?
In case you’re unable to connect a Windows or a MacOS laptop to Xfinity HotSpot or you’re experiencing issues sharing one, this guide is for you.
The steps below are designed to completely troubleshoot any connection errors and enable you to utilize a WiFi hotspot.
- Open the Start Menu and select the Shut Down option.
- After 30 seconds, turn on the computer and wait to load.
- From the right on the Taskbar, open the Wireless Adapter.
- Right-click on the Xfinity WiFi HotSpot and select Forget.
- Next, click on the Wireless Adapter icon to turn it OFF.
- Turn on the adapter and connect to Xfinity WiFi Hotspot.
- On your Macbook, click on the Apple Icon.
- Next, select the “System Preferences” tab.
- From the left panel, select the Xfinity Hotspot.
- Insert the correct WiFi password to connect.
- In case this doesn’t work, reboot the MacBook.
Tip: In case your laptop is unable to connect to the Xfinity hotspot, test connecting your smartphone or another secondary device.
Whenever the Xfinity WiFi hotspot not working, it’s important to verify that the hotspot is enabled properly on the transmitter device.
In addition, the involved Xfinity device should be rebooted as well as the network settings reset, for the Xfinity hotspot to start working.
Read Next: Why Is My Xfinity Modem Blinking Green? – Quick Fix Guide
Kevin has over five years of experience working in various Tech startups and providing Technical solutions. He has contributed to many Tech publications and websites.