The “Xfinity can’t make changes to plan” error occurs when the status of your Xfinity account changes in some way.
Stay with us to learn about your account status and how to fix this issue!
When Xfinity doesn’t let you make changes to the plan, check if your Xfinity account is past due or whether you have exceeded the plan limits.
You must also verify that your Xfinity account is not suspended or that you haven’t made changes to the plan recently!
Let’s dig deeper!
Xfinity Looks Like You Can’t Make Changes to this Plan?
Here are the most common reasons for your Xfinity plan problem:
- Your Xfinity account is past due
- Your account has a pending status
- You are not authorized to perform changes
- Changes have been made recently
- You have been suspended in a way
- The plan limits have been exceeded
- Ongoing Xfinity technical issues
Have You Canceled Your Service?
You should ultimately note that canceling your Xfinity service will make your account inactive.
You could also erase your Xfinity account upon canceling your TV/internet service so your user/personal information is no longer at Xfinity’s disposal.
- You will not be able to make any changes to the account after canceling it!
Note: You will receive a message in the inbox of the associated email upon canceling!
Looks Like You Can’t Make Changes to this Plan Xfinity – Fixed
Note: You’ll need your Xfinity login credentials before we begin!
1. Check for Unpaid Xfinity Fees!
In order to perform any changes to your Xfinity plan, you must make sure that your account is free of any underlying subscription fees.
Thus, you’ll have to pay the monthly service price of Xfinity to proceed to cancel your subscription in any way!
Things to Note Before Paying:
- Verify your payment info is correct
- Ensure you have enough funds in your bank
- Check if the appropriate payment plan is selected
Here’s how to pay your Xfinity monthly bill easily:
- Sign in to your Xfinity account.
- Click the profile icon at the top.
- Select “Billing” from the side menu.
- Click on the “Make a Payment” button.
- Select “Current Balance” from the options.
- Follow the on-screen instructions!
Info: Your Xfinity account will be resumed until the next billing cycle date!
2. Check your Contract Terms
If you’re on a one-year contract with Xfinity, you’ll be unable to make changes to your plan.
One of the contract’s clauses is that you’re legally obliged to benefit only from the servers listed in the plan you’re in contract with.
- Xfinity contracts are usually the length of a year!
How to Check Xfinity Contract Terms?
- Go to Xfinity’s official website.
- Sign in with your Xfinity ID.
- Go to the “My Account” page.
- Press on the “Manage Plan” button.
- Choose “View Contract Terms”.
What are the Contract Terms?
On the “View Contract Terms” page, you’ll see information such as:
- The start and end of your contract
- Early contract termination fees
- The monthly price of your plan
- The clauses and details of the plan
Info: Thus, you’ll not have access to change the benefit from your Xfinity subscription plan for about a year (or less from now on).
You should also keep in mind that most packages available in Xfinity usually come at one year and can either be on contract or no-contact type!
3. Wait Out the Pending Period
Registering to Xfinity and making changes to the subscription plan right away is not possible!
The “pending period” only applies in two situations:
- You’ve recently made similar changes
- You’ve recently signed up for Xfinity
- You’ve recently paid the monthly bill
How Long Does the Xfinity “Pending Period” Last?
Though it strongly depends on the status of your Xfinity account, the pending period is usually resolved for 1-3 days.
If you’ve recently paid the monthly bill, it’ll take Xfinity up to 3 days to process the payment and activate your account.
- Registered or subscribing for Xfinity requires 24 hours before making changes!
Info: To learn more about the status of your Xfinity account, contact customer support!
3. Login from the Primary Account!
With Xfinity, you’re able to add friends and family to the account as users of the account.
However, only the primary holder is able to make changes to the plan and you must log in from that account, to adjust the clauses of the Xfinity service.
Different Between Primary and Secondary Xfinity ID:
- Manage account settings
- Manage payments
- Make new purchases
The secondary Xfinity account rules (Manager, Member, and Viewer) cannot perform the changes that the primary user can.
Once you’re signed in with the primary holder of your Xfinity account, perform the changes to the subscription!
How to Add & Remove Xfinity Secondary Users?
- Sign in to Xfinity.com as the primary user.
- Click on “Account” and choose the identity you wish to remove.
- Scroll down to the next page and select “Remove”.
- Confirm that you want to disassociate this ID!
Info: You must sign in using the primary account holder’s info!
5. Try Through a Private Browser
Whenever you see “Xfinity can’t make changes to plan” you should know that there is a solution shared by Xfinity customer support.
The method is to sign in through a private browser and be listed as a new user, which bypasses any restrictions on your side.
- To make your browser private, we will use the “Incognito” mode!
Follow these steps to make changes to Xfinity through a private browser:
- On Chrome, press the three-dot icon at the top-right.
- Press “New Incognito Window” as the third option.
- Navigate to the official Xfinity website through the search field.
- Press on the “Sign In” button and insert your Xfinity ID and number.
- Go to the “My Account” tab next and check if you can make changes.
Info: In most cases, this problem may have something to do with restrictions applied to your Google account.
By accessing Xfinity as new users from Incognito, we bypass the restrictions!
6. Check your Plan’s Limitations!
The Xfinity Mobile service has applied limitations in terms of how much data you could consume during this cycle.
Using up all of your mobile data or provided internet service (with the Xfinity Prepaid plan), will not allow you to make changes until the next billing period!
- To receive an overview of your plan’s limitations, text “APP” to 266278
The message is taxed at a minimal price and you will receive an overview of your internet or mobile plan status during this billing cycle.
There, you’ll see the limitations of your plan and whether you have exceeded all of the mobile/internet data!
7. Oblige the Regional Xfinity Requirements
Unfortunately, some Xfinity plans are unavailable in particular regions and areas.
For example, Xfinity’s cable internet service only covers up to 41 states of the U.S., meaning the plan you’ve selected to subscribe to could be unavailable in your country or state.
- The regional requirements only apply if you’re adding a new service or moving!
Here are the steps to determine Xfinity service availability:
- Navigate to xfinity.com/local/.
- Select the type of your service.
- Insert your address on the next page.
- Press on “Check Availability” next.
- Wait for the status update to provide the info.
Info: Based on the availability status you will receive, Xfinity will either be able or unable to provide service for your address.
Sometimes advanced research may be needed to determine if Xfinity can extend its service to your address.
8. Ask the Xfinity Assistant!
The Xfinity Assistant is a 24/7 online tool that answers personalized questions for users. Even if customer support is not online during your hours, use the tool to answer for you!
- Navigate to Xfinity.com/chat/ on your browser and ask your question!
All you have to do is sign into your account when prompted and shoot your question right away!
The personalized tool will answer all your questions regarding the account’s condition and may or may not find a working solution. However, it’s with a try!
Need More Help?
In case you’ve attempted all of the solutions and workarounds in this guide but you still can’t make changes to your Xfinity account, it’s best to seek qualified assistance.
The best possible way is to contact Xfinity Customer Support directly and share the struggle you’ve been facing.
Reminder: Don’t forget to share what you’ve attempted in this guide to save time!
We’ve learned that the “Xfinity can’t make changes to plan” problem appears when you have unpaid fees towards Xfinity.
If you’re a new customer or you’re using an unsupported browser to access the website, you will also receive the same error!
Read Next: Xfinity Oops Unfortunately This Feature is Not Working? – Fixed
Kevin has over five years of experience working in various Tech startups and providing Technical solutions. He has contributed to many Tech publications and websites.