Will Spectrum Mobile pay off my phone? Read on to find out more!
If you want to get out of your current contract and join Spectrum Mobile without paying the termination fee, their pay-off or buyout program is the one you’re looking for.
Yes, Spectrum Mobile has a buyout program that will help you pay off an old phone from your previous carrier when you transfer. Depending on your device and plan, they can cover up to $500.
Okay, let’s look closely at Spectrum’s phone pay-off program!
Will Spectrum Mobile Pay Off My Phone – Know the Full Details
Spectrum’s phone pay-off program helps you join Spectrum Mobile without any hassle.
When you trade in your old phone, they will pay off your remaining device balance or an early termination fee of up to $500 per line.
Let’s get into more detail so you’ll fully understand what you’re going to get with their pay-off or buyout program.
Understanding Spectrum Mobile’s Phone Pay-Off Program
To apply for the phone pay-off program, you need to know how to qualify for the contract buyout offer, what to do for the contract buyout process, and the pros and cons of the program.
Let’s explore them further below.
Contract Buyout Eligibility Criteria
Not everyone who’s applying for a contract buyout will get one. Spectrum Mobile does have eligibility criteria, and subscribers must meet them in order for them to avail of it.
- You must be a new Spectrum subscriber with no past services within 30 days.
- You must port your old phone number to Spectrum Mobile.
- Trade in your old phone in good working condition, without physical or liquid damage.
- You must buy a new phone from Spectrum Mobile at full retail price or on installment.
- Submit your final bill from your old carrier within 60 days of activation.
Requirements for Contract Buyout
To complete the contract buyout process, you need to do the following:
- Visit a Spectrum store or call 1-833-224-6603 to activate service and port your number.
- Trade in your old phone at the store or mail it using Spectrum’s prepaid shipping label.
- Buy a new Spectrum Mobile phone at full price or in monthly installments.
- Submit your final bill from your old carrier online or by mail.
- Get a prepaid card with your device balance or ETF within 4-6 weeks after verification.
Info: The contract buyout program is only valid for a limited time and for a select group of customers.
Eligibility Criteria for Contract Buyout By Spectrum Mobile
Spectrum’s contract buyout program is available for new and existing customers who meet the eligibility criteria.
However, if you’re an existing customer, you must upgrade to a new device from Spectrum Mobile and switch to an unlimited data plan.
Benefits of the Getting a Contract Buyout with Spectrum Mobile
Availing of Spectrum Mobile’s contract buyout process comes with a lot of benefits if you have decided to switch.
It allows you to upgrade your device, and pay off your remaining balance with your previous carrier.
Here are some of the benefits that you can enjoy:
- Save money on your phone bill by switching to a more affordable plan
- Better service quality and coverage
- Get a new phone from a wide selection of models and brands
- Avoid paying any termination fees or penalties with your old carrier
- Keep your existing phone number when you switch to Spectrum Mobile
If you’re sure to join Spectrum, proceed to the buyout process. We’ll guide you through the steps.
The Buyout Process
Now that you know the answer to your question: Will Spectrum Mobile pay off my phone if I switch, let’s discuss the buyout process.
Steps to Initiate
The buyout process is simple. Here are the steps you need to take:
- Order a qualifying package online, by phone, or in person at a Spectrum store.
- Download and complete the contract buyout form from the page.
- Send an email with the following information to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Your 12 or 16-digit account number in the subject line
- A copy of your final bill from your old carrier with your ETF or device balance
- A copy of the completed contract buyout form
- Receive a prepaid card with your ETF or device balance amount in 4-6 weeks.
Note: You must maintain your qualifying service for at least 12 months to keep your ETF reimbursement. If you cancel before that, you will be responsible for paying the ETF reimbursement.
If you’re wondering how long it takes to receive the payoff amount, we listed the estimated timelines for Spectrum Mobile’s contract buyout program below.
- Number porting: Up to 7 days to transfer your old number to Spectrum
- Old phone processing: Up to 10 days for Spectrum to get and handle your old phone
- Final bill verification: Up to 30 days for Spectrum to check your final bill
- Prepaid card delivery: Up to 6 weeks to get your prepaid card
Buyout Amounts to Expect from Spectrum Mobile
Depending on your device balance and early termination fee with your old carrier, Spectrum Mobile will give you up to $500 per line to pay it off.
For example, you will get a prepaid card with $300 if you owe $300 but not more. If you owe $600, you will be reimbursed with the maximum amount of $500.
Here is a table that shows some examples of buyout amounts in different scenarios:
|Device Balance or ETF||Buyout Amount|
Impact on Your Chosen Spectrum Mobile Plans and Contract
Switching to Spectrum Mobile through the phone payoff program won’t affect your current plans or contract.
Additionally, Spectrum allows you to change your plan at any time with no fees or penalties.
The best part is that you aren’t locked into a long-term contract. Cancel at any time without worrying about termination fees.
Note: Remember that your new phone's remaining balance is due in full if you cancel before paying it off.
Activating Your Service
Activating your Spectrum Mobile service is easy and fast. All you have to do is go online, call by phone, or visit a Spectrum store.
To get started, here are the following pieces of information you need:
- Your Spectrum username and password
- Your new phone’s IMEI number
- Your old phone’s IMEI number
- Your old carrier’s account number and PIN
- Your old phone’s SIM card
Once you have this information handy, follow these steps to activate your service:
- Visit spectrummobile.com/activate or call 1-833-224-6603.
- Log in using your username and password.
- Enter your new phone’s IMEI number.
- Enter your old phone’s IMEI number.
- Enter your old carrier’s account number and PIN.
- Confirm your phone number and plan.
- Insert your new SIM card into your new phone.
- Turn on your new phone.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the activation process.
Porting Your Number
To port your number to Spectrum Mobile, you need your old carrier’s account number, PIN, and your old phone’s IMEI number.
It takes about 7 days to complete the porting process, so use WiFi calling or text apps in the meantime.
Here are the steps to transfer your number to Spectrum Mobile:
- Check if your number is eligible for porting.
- Gather your account number and PIN from your current carrier.
- Sign up for a Spectrum Mobile service.
- Begin the porting process.
- Test your number to ensure it’s working properly.
Note: It usually takes 1-2 business days to complete the porting process.
How to Avoid Disruptions and Delays During the Transfer
When you switch to Spectrum Mobile and port your number, expect disruptions or delays during the porting process.
To avoid this, here are some tips for you to follow.
- Choose a low-call time or have another communication method to switch.
- Keep your old SIM and phone until the transfer is done and confirmed.
- Follow instructions from your old and new carriers to activate and port your service.
- Check your transfer status online or by calling your carrier.
By following these tips, you get to enjoy your new service with Spectrum Mobile as soon as possible.
Limitations and Restrictions to the Buyout Program
The buyout program allows you to switch to Spectrum Mobile without paying any termination fees. However, it also has its limitations.
Here are some of them:
- Limited device options
- Network coverage issues
- Low call quality
- Not the most cost-effective option
Now that you have a better understanding on what Spectrum Mobile offers, the decision is up to you if you want to take them on it.
Now, you can make an informed decision that’s based on your needs and budget.
The answer to your question: Will Spectrum Mobile pay off my phone is yes. When you trade in your old phone, you’ll get up to $500 per line for your device balance and early termination fees.
Additionally, you get to keep your old number. For more information about Spectrum Mobile, check out our blog!
Finn Wheatley holds a Master’s Degree in Computer Science from UCL, London. He helped small data science consultancy firms, helping large corporations to grow their data capabilities, deploy advanced machine learning-based analytics and troubleshoot tech-related issues.