Why does ITVX keep buffering? Because your playout device cannot acquire the data necessary to pre-load your content in a timely manner you catch up too quickly.
This behaviour often resembles a connectivity issue with the router or modem but sometimes the fault is entirely with your device.
This is why in this guide we’ll explore all possibilities!
Whenever ITVX keeps buffering on your device you first need to verify that your internet connection and WiFi are intact.
If yes, then you need to completely reinstall the ITVX app on your playout device for a fresh start and then verify that your system is up to date.
Why Does ITVX Keep Buffering While Streaming?
If ITVX keeps buffering on your device, the issue is usually related to a weak or unstable Wi-Fi connection.
Whether you’re streaming ITVX on a mobile device, a TV, or any type of streaming stick or cable box, the internet speed and consistency are the fundamental bricks in the setup!
Let’s review all of the causes that could influence the buffering of ITVX:
What to Do When ITVX Keeps Buffering – 8 Ways to Fix!
Tip: To discover the origin of the ITVX buffering issue, follow the guide chronologically!
1. Reboot the Streaming Device
The first and most reliable solution to any issues with ITVX is to reboot the streaming device.
ITVX encounters issues on any operating system, so a system restart usually fixes anything non-lasting that is currently impacting the performance of the app.
How to Reboot a Mobile?
- If you’re using an iOS device, go to Settings > General > “Shut Down”, then wait for the iPhone/iPad to shut down and hold the power button to turn it on.
- If you’re using an Android device, hold the “Power” button for 5 seconds and choose the “Restart” option in the power menu once it appears.
How to Reboot Smart TV?
- Press the power button on the remote control.
- Once the TV shuts down, unplug it from power.
- Wait for 60 seconds and reconnect the cable.
How to Reboot PC/Laptop? (ITVX Browser)
- Press the “X” button to exit the browser.
- Press the Windows menu at the corner.
- On macOS, use the Apple Menu on top.
- Choose the “Power” icon in the menu.
- Select the “Restart” option for a reboot.
Note: Sometimes, you might be seeing ITVX “freezing” and not buffering, especially when your entire system crashes and the reboot helps against that as well.
2. Test on a Different Broadcast
It’s likely that the slow loading time is caused by the broadcast you’re currently streaming.
There could be an issue with ITVX, causing a particular number of movies or TV shows to buffer slowly on the user’s devices, so you should test some alternatives.
Simply play a few different TV shows and movies!
Are they all lagging? Try to determine if the loading times would still be that slow.
Test on 3-4 different broadcasts to determine whether the buffering appears globally, on everything, or only on a few specific titles.
3. Check the Internet and Wi-Fi
ITVX could be failing to load on time due to issues with the internet connection.
Even if your device is connected via Wi-Fi or Ethernet, an unstable or weak connection will definitely reflect as “buffering” in your ITVX app, as well as any other streaming application out there.
Streaming ITVX via Ethernet Cable:
This step only applies to PCs, laptops, and some TV devices.
- Open the Settings of the device.
- Navigate to “Connections” next.
- In the next menu, choose “Wired”.
- Check if the Ethernet is plugged in.
Tip: Inspect if the Ethernet cable is secured on both ends!
Streaming ITVX via WiFi Connection:
All devices compatible with WI-Fi can connect wirelessly.
- Open the Settings of the connecting device.
- Tap “Connections” and choose “Wireless”.
- Wait until all nearby networks are scanned.
- Pick your home Wi-Fi connection from the list.
- Insert the Wi-Fi password in order to connect.
Tips to Improve Wi-Fi/Ethernet Connection?
Here are a couple of tips to improve the internet connection of your device:
- Power cycle the network router/modem.
- Unpair WiFi devices to reduce bandwidth.
- Reconnect the router/modem service cable.
- Disable activated VPN or Proxy services.
Note: The ITVX app requires an internet speed of 2.4 Mbps for SD streaming and 5+ Mbps for HD streaming, so test your internet for free to determine.
4. Reduce the ITVX Video Quality
Not everyone’s internet is great. Slow internet speeds, coming this way from the supplier, can’t be helped, but you can lower the ITVX quality to prevent frequent buffering.
All you have to do is press the settings icon underneath the show and choose the resolution quality for your playout.
Try to reduce the video quality to 720p or 480p at first and then test on even lower options to determine if the buffering time will improve.
Feel free to find a comfortable streaming resolution so you can enjoy your shows without buffering.
Note: The lower the resolution quality, the less network resources are needed!
5. Clear the Cache of ITVX/Browser
To stream ITVX you either need a compatible browser or download the application to your mobile device, streaming stick, or smart TV.
So, for users with the ITVX app, be informed that any corruption in the generated cache data on your playout devices might lead to buffering!
How to Clear the Cache of the ITVX Application?
- First, Open the Settings of the streaming device.
- Navigate to the “Storage” or “Applications” section.
- Then, locate the ITVX app and access its settings.
- Choose the “Clear Cache” or “Clear Data” option.
- Exit the ITVX app settings and test the platform.
Tip: If your device does not allow clearing the app cache, reinstall the ITVX app cleanly!
How to Clear Browser Cache (Chrome)
We recommend using Google Chrome to stream ITVX!
- Open the Chrome browser on your device.
- Press on the three dots icon at the top-right.
- Click on “More Tools” and choose a time range.
- Select “All Time”, then ”Clear Browsing Data”.
Tip: To clear the cookies, go to “Cookies and other site data” and choose “Clear Data”.
6. Update the ITVX Firmware Version!
One of the reasons why does my ITVX keep buffering is due to missing updates, hence you need to regularly check for updates for optimal performance.
This will help you evade functionality issues in the long run and keep your app up to date, with the newest files and bug-fix updates!
Here’s how to update the ITVX app on most streaming devices:
- Open the content store on your streaming device.
- Next, navigate to “Manage Installed Applications”.
- Locate the ITVX application and also highlight it.
- Press on the “Check for Updates” action button.
- Then, if an ITVX update is available, press “Update”.
Note: To update your app your device needs to be connected to the internet.
7. Disable or Enable Your VPN!
ITVX is only available within the UK and you need to be there in order to be allowed to create a registration and streaming.
So, if your ITVX is buffering, perhaps your VPN is causing this delay! When you’re within the UK, you must disable your VPN.
This way your IP address will not take additional routes, hence resolving any buffering in the ITVX app.
In contrast, having VPN enabled is the only way to stream ITVX from outside the UK.
Hence, we recommend uninstalling or disabling the VPN when streaming from within the UK to reduce lag.
Tip: For streaming ITVX from abroad we recommend using Atlas VPN!
8. Reinstall the ITVX Application
One of the reasons why ITVX is buffering is due to a major system bug with the installation of the app or with the files of the app.
The ultimate solution is to perform a clean reinstallation on the ITVX app, by uninstalling the then re-downloading the app from the official platform sources.
Follow these instructions to reinstall ITVX on most applications:
- Access the settings of the streaming device.
- Navigate to the “Applications” options tab.
- Locate the ITVX app in the configuration panel.
- Next, highlight the app and choose “Uninstall”.
- Wait for the ITVX app to be completely removed.
- After that, open the content store on your device.
- Finally, locate the ITVX app and download it back.
Tip: For any additional support, visit the ITVX Help page!
The reason why does ITVX keep buffering is due to slow or inconsistent internet or WiFi on your playout device.
It’s also possible that the app data or cache is corrupted, which only takes a couple of minutes to address by performing a clean ITVX app reinstallation!
Follow us for more ITVX content!