Have you ever encountered an error on Hulu and asked yourself: Why does Hulu say I’m not old enough?
This can be an annoying situation, especially when you don’t know why it’s happening. Luckily, there are ways on how to quickly resolve this issue.
Keep on reading to learn more about why Hulu might tell you that you’re not old enough to watch certain content.
Let’s fix it!
The Hulu error that says you’re “Not Old Enough” is related to age restrictions, where the platform thinks you’re too young to watch a certain movie or show.
You will need to look into your profile and ensure that you’re not using one for kids or that you have parental controls activated.
We’ll explain why the error happens before providing step-by-step instructions to implement the solutions.
Reasons that Cause Hulu Saying I’m Not Old Enough Issue
Hulu is a popular streaming service that airs movies and TV series, including original content with sexually explicit shows.
To help ensure no kids can access inappropriate content, Hulu has a kid profile option that limits viewing to G-rated videos.
If you are an adult with restricted access to non-kid profiles, Why does my Hulu say I’m not old enough?
Here are the reasons:
- The age of your Hulu profile does not meet the criteria for viewing the content
- Parental controls are activated on your Hulu account
- An error or disruption of Hulu servers
- You’re dealing with a technical issue with the website or app
- Software or system bugs and glitches can cause this error
Let’s look at the different solutions you can try that will help you fix the “Not Old Enough” message on Hulu.
Full Fix Guide on Why Does Hulu Say I’m Not Old Enough
The most common reasons are connectivity and software issues.
Go check to see if Hulu is down. Look for service outage reports on the official social media handle of Hulu.
Once you rule that out, start troubleshooting by restarting the Hulu app or browser. Close the Hulu app on your device, then open it again. If this doesn’t work, force close it.
- Go to Settings and select Applications.
- Look for the Hulu app, then tap it.
- Select Force Stop.
If your streaming issue persists, move on to one of the following solutions.
Solution #1: Switch to a Profile That’s Not for Kids
Hulu lets you create different profiles for different people. You could have created one for your kid, and you’re currently on that profile.
If this happens, you need to switch to a profile with no restrictions to access more content.
- Go to the Hulu website at hulu.com.
- Log in to your account.
- Click on your Profile and choose Switch Profiles.
- Select a profile that’s not for kids.
- Try watching again to see if you still get the error.
Note: If you have PIN Protection enabled, Hulu will ask you for it before you can successfully switch profiles.
Solution #2: Change the Birthdate on Your Hulu Account
If you did not mistakenly open your kid’s profile and checked that you’re using yours, it means that the age saved on your profile is much younger than you think.
It’s possible that you have entered your birthdate wrong and mixed up typing the year.
To fix this issue, you want to track down the birthday that’s saved on your account. After confirming that it’s indeed your birth year, you will need to update your information.
Doing this will ensure you always meet the age requirements for all your favorite Hulu content.
Here’s how to change the birthdate on your Hulu account:
- Open a web browser and go to the Hulu website at hulu.com.
- Log in to your account with your Hulu email address and password.
- Look for the section labeled Your Account.
- Select the Update Info option.
- Edit the birthday field with the correct information.
Tip: There are cases when you won’t be able to edit the year of your birthdate.
You will need to contact Hulu customer support to verify your age.
Solution #3: Turn Off Parental Controls on Your Account
If you have kids, one option with your Hulu account is to set up parental controls.
It’s unlikely that you will have an issue with activating it, but there are certain instances when it can show the “Not Old Enough” error.
Parental controls restrict the type of content that your children can watch on Hulu. However, software issues can cause it to show up even when you enter the PIN.
Plus, it can be a hassle to input the PIN whenever you want to watch your favorite shows or movies on Hulu.
Here’s how to disable parental controls on Hulu:
- Access your Hulu account via their website at hulu.com.
- Enter the email address and password associated with your account.
- Go to your Profile icon, then choose Manage Profiles.
- Select the profile you want to change.
- Click on Parental Controls to disable it.
Solution #4: Disable PIN Protection on Your Hulu Account
Apart from parental controls, PIN protection is another Hulu feature that you can use to keep your kids away from content you don’t want them to see.
Setting this up means that if you want to watch a TV show or a movie that’s not rated for kids, you will need to enter a PIN.
There are instances when activating PIN protection can trigger the “Not Old Enough” error alert. To eliminate this problem, you can disable your Hulu PIN to avoid the hassle of watching.
Here’s how to disable PIN protection on your Hulu account:
- Visit the Hulu website at hulu.com.
- Hover your mouse cursor over the Profile icon.
- Select the Manage Profiles option.
- Toggle Turn Off PIN to disable this feature.
- Enter your Hulu password to confirm.
Note: If you want to reinstate this feature, select the Turn on PIN Protection option since you don’t want your kids to have this type of access.
Solution #5: Change Hulu Age Restriction for Your Account
There are a few instances when there’s an issue with the Hulu platform and set the age setting on your account low. These can be independent of your birthday, so updating it won’t resolve this error.
Whenever this happens, you will need to change this setting so you can watch your favorite shows and movies on Hulu. It opens up most programs you can watch on Hulu, except those rated R or TV-MA.
Here’s how to change Hulu age restriction on your account:
- Log in to your Hulu account on hulu.com.
- Select the Profile that you want to change.
- Edit the profile by clicking on the pencil icon.
- Toggle the switch to disable Child Mode.
- Click on Save.
Note: You can also perform these steps on your Hulu app so that you can change this no matter your device.
Solution #6: Create a New Hulu Profile with the Correct Age
Lastly, if the error is persistent and keeps on notifying you and says that you’re “Not Old Enough,” you will need to take a more drastic approach.
The good thing about Hulu is that you can have multiple profiles in an account.
To avoid any more complications, you can create a brand-new profile and make sure to enter the right age.
Here’s how to create a new Hulu profile:
- Go to the Hulu website and log in to your account.
- Click on your Profile, then Manage Profile
- Choose the Add Profile option and enter a name for the profile.
- Enter your correct birth date.
- Toggle off the Kids slider.
Tip: Before saving your profile, you will want to double-check the birth year that you entered.
By following these steps, you can quickly resolve the “Not Old Enough” error that appears on your Hulu account.
You can also contact Hulu customer support to check if they’re experiencing a technical issue on their end, which can also be a reason for this notification to appear.
Why does Hulu say I’m not old enough? Now that you know the causes and the answers, you won’t have to worry about why your Hulu account shows you this error.
You need to look at a few things, but it’s mostly related to age restrictions and profiles. So, go ahead and look for the cause and get it working again so you can watch your favorite shows and movies.
Read Next: Why is Hulu Not Playing Next Episode?
Kevin has over five years of experience working in various Tech startups and providing Technical solutions. He has contributed to many Tech publications and websites.