Are you wondering why is Vodafone not registered on network? Well, you’re not alone!
Many new Vodafone customers have been experiencing issues with the first-time activation and registration of the Vodafone SIM card.
Understanding what causes the issue is the most critical step to providing potent solutions to troubleshoot the service outage, so let’s jump straight in…
If your Vodafone device and SIM card aren’t registering on the network, ensure you have waited the entire 24-hour activation period first. Next, update the unit’s firmware, reconfigure the Vodafone APN options and reset the device network settings!
There is much more to discuss, so let’s start with the essentials!
Why is the Vodafone SIM Not Registered On Network?
To address the cause of the activation issue with the Vodafone SIM, the first step is to uncover all of the underlying causes.
If you’ve waited 24 hours and the SIM card hasn’t been activated yet, there’s a high chance of an issue with your account.
Here are all of the causes that could prevent the Vodafone SIM from activating:
Vodafone Not Registered On Network – Proven Ways to Fix!
Tip: To resolve the issue with the Vodafone SIM faster, follow our steps chronologically!
1. Set “Vodafone” as the Preferred Carrier
The SIM might fail to register if you haven’t specified “Vodafone” as the preferred carrier in the mobile device’s network settings.
Hence, the first step is to check if Vodafone is selected as the default provider by navigating into the system configurations of the mobile device.
How to Change “Preferred Carrier” On Android?
- First, navigate to the Settings of the Android device.
- Go to “Mobile Networks” and “Search Networks.”
- Wait for all available networks to appear on-screen.
- After that, tap the “Vodafone” to select the provider.
- Save the changes in the settings and exit the tab.
How to Change “Preferred Carrier” On iOS?
- Open the “Settings” app on your iPhone or iPad.
- Tap “Cellular” and then click “Network Selection”.
- After that, switch the “Automatic” feature to “OFF”.
- Select “Vodafone” as the manual service provider.
- Exit the settings and wait for the device to connect.
How to Check for an Ongoing Vodafone Outage?
To determine if the failed activation of the Vodafone service is occurring due to an ongoing outage, navigate to the Vodafone Network Status Checker through the website.
Then, you must Input your client postcode in the provided field and press the “Search” icon to get results.
Note: Vodafone outages are typically addressed within 2-3 hours of their occurrence!
2. Reboot the Mobile Device System
To address functionality issues with the Vodafone SIM card and the mobile device, it is recommended to reboot the system of your phone/tablet.
This quick resolution will address non-lasting functionality issues with the device’s operating system and the Vodafone SIM!
Here’s how to typically reboot a mobile device by holding the “power” button:
- Press and hold the power button located on the side of the device.
- After 5 seconds of holding, select the “Reboot” option from the menu.
- Wait until the mobile device powers off and then relaunches the system.
- (Optional) Plug the device with a charger if it’s running low on battery.
Tip: If your device has a voice assistant, say “Reboot My Device” to reboot hands-free!
How to Reinsert the Vodafone SIM Card?
If the Vodafone SIM not registered on network, then reinserting the chip should resume the activation and resolve the issue.
So, eject the SIM tray using the SIM tool by reaching into the pinhole.
Then, gently eject the SIM card, clean any dust or dirt and correctly embed the SIM.
Note: Verify that the SIM tray is free of obstructions!
3. Correct the Vodafone APN Settings
The APN configuration is critical when connecting to a network provider.
If the settings are misconfigured or not set initially, the mobile device will not establish a connection with Vodafone, even if the SIM card is already inserted.
Hence, the APN settings must never be ignored!
When the SIM card has been inserted, your mobile automatically acquires these settings, but in some rare cases, conflicts may appear.
So, you must reconfigure the Vodafone APN settings to resume the activation.
How to Correct APN Settings On Android?
To change the APN settings of an Android device, go to Settings > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names > New APN > “Name Field”.
How to Correct APN Settings On iOS?
To change the APN settings of an iOS device, go to Settings > Cellular or Mobile Network > “Mobile Data Options” > “Set your APN settings”.
Once in the APN configuration tab, you must specify each setting to establish a connection with the Vodafone network.
Here are the correct APN settings for Vodafone on any mobile device:
- Name: Vodafone
- APN: portalnmms
- Proxy: 10.10.1.100
- Port: 9401
- MMSC: http://mms1.live.vodafone.in/mms
- MMS proxy: 10.10.1.100
- MMS port: 9401
- MMS type: default,mms
Not all fields within the APN configuration of the mobile device have to be filled out.
The options above are mandatory for establishing a connection with the Vodafone network and must be filled out within the device’s configuration, so leave everything else blank.
Reminder: Don’t forget to Save your new configuration and reboot your mobile!
4. Update the Firmware of your Mobile!
One of the reasons why the SIM card won’t register on the Vodafone network is due to an outdated device firmware.
The system must be updated to the most current firmware version, optimising the connectivity performance and significantly improving the compatibility level.
How to Update Firmware Version On Android?
- Open the “Settings” app on the Android device.
- Tap “System” and then press “System Update”.
- Wait for the Android to check for system updates.
- If an update is available, press the “Update” tab.
- Wait until the Android has finalised the process.
How to Update Firmware Version On iOS?
- Open the “Settings” app on your iPhone/iPad.
- Navigate to “General” > “Software Update”.
- Wait for the iOS device to scan for updates.
- Press on the “Install Update” button to start.
- Wait until your iPhone/iPad is finished updating.
While within the firmware update settings, activate the “Automatic Updates” feature to receive the newest firmware automatically.
As long as the mobile device remains connected to Wi-Fi, it will receive updates automatically once they are available.
Note: Your device may not receive firmware updates automatically if connected to cellular!
5. Revert the Network Settings to Defaults
Another reliable solution, if you’re still not registered on network Vodafone, is to reset the network settings of the mobile device.
This is one of the most potent solutions to address functionality issues with the Vodafone provider network and the SIM activation on the device.
Warning: Erasing the network settings on your device will permanently delete all cellular, WiFi and Bluetooth settings.
How to Reset Network Settings On Android?
- Open the “Settings” app on your Android device.
- Go to “System” > “Advanced” > “Reset options”.
- Select “Reset network settings” and proceed.
- Confirm the reset of the device’s network settings.
How to Reset Network Settings On iOS?
- Open the “Settings” app on your iPhone/iPad.
- Enter “General” and scroll all the way down.
- Then, select the “Transfer or Reset [Device].”
- Finally, select the “Network Settings Reset”.
Note: You cannot recover any data lost after the networking reset!
6. Wait for Remote Vodafone Activation!
The Vodafone SIM activation typically takes up to 24 hours to be registered and activated by the provider.
Hence, if you’ve recently assigned the Vodafone SIM card to the mobile device, you might have to wait for a full day until the SIM card and subscription plan are both activated.
Activation for Physical Vodafone SIM
If you have a physical Vodafone SIM, the first-time activation of the SIM card takes up to 24 hours.
However, if you’re joining from another network, your device might not be compatible with the Vodafone network until unlocked from the previous provider!
Note: Provider-locked devices will become available after the expiration of the 2-year plan!
Activation for Vodafone e-SIM
A Vodafone e-SIM activation is typically faster than a physical SIM.
You will receive instructions on the progress of the reset in the provided email upon signing up for the Vodafone network, so keep track of your inbox and the messages you’re receiving from Vodafone!
Note: If the device isn’t in cellular coverage, the e-SIM activation will be postponed!
Hence, whenever Vodafone not registered on network, reboot the mobile device, reinsert the SIM card and wait for the remote Vodafone activation.
If the issue is still there, verify that the APN configuration is correct and reset the network settings of the mobile device.
Follow us for more helpful tips and solutions!
Kevin has over five years of experience working in various Tech startups and providing Technical solutions. He has contributed to many Tech publications and websites.