Is the Virgin Media Sky Sports app not working? You could fix this in no time!
A problem that has been a common thing for Virgin Media is whenever the Sky Sports app won’t open or we can’t stream anything.
As long as you have the correct solutions to approach the problem, the issue is easy to solve.
Let’s learn more!
To fix when the Virgin Media Sky Sports app refuses to work, restart the platform and reboot your device. Next, update both the app and your device and reconnect your device to the internet. If nothing worked, reinstall the application on your device.
There’s more to this problem and why is it happening. Here’s why!
There are multiple reasons why you’re not able to stream in the Sky Sports app on your device.
The problem could also be related to the platform itself, or your own device’s functionality, internet and software. We will review most of the possible scenarios here!
Here’s why the Sky Sports app refuses to work on your device:
- Your device isn’t connected to the internet (WiFi or Cellular)
- There’s a Server Outage with the Sky Sports app
- The application has developed Corrupted Data/Cache
- The app or your mobile device is running an Outdated Firmware
As the Sky Sports app’s version progresses, your phone should too.
There is a certain range of compatibilities that must be met on both your phone and the app’s ends for things to work.
Keep reading to find out the best solutions to fix the Sky Sports app with!
After reviewing what could possibly go wrong with the Sky Sports app on your device, it’s time to fix the problem.
Make sure to follow the correct order of our solutions and not skip any of the methods. This will guarantee that the problem will be gone by the end of the read.
Let’s jump into the solutions!
The first and most simple thing you could try is to relaunch the application and have your mobile device restarted.
This solution has helped many users who experience issues with the Sky Sports app and has proven to be effective.
Follow these instructions to relaunch the app properly and restart your device:
- Exit the Sky Sports app on your device.
- Remove the application from the temporal memory.
- Press and hold the Power button on your device.
- Once the power menu appears, choose “Shutdown”.
- When the device turns OFF, press the Power button again.
While your phone is restarting, ensure that your network device is online and that the other of your devices are receiving internet. WiFi/Cellular is crucial for using Virgin’s Sky Sports.
Tip: You could also restart through Settings > General > Power > Restart on your device!
As we’ve mentioned in the previous solution, your device’s internet connection is crucial to streaming anything in Sky Sports.
Most error codes that you or other users are receiving within the app are exactly due to missing WiFi or cellular connection.
There are two ways to connect your device to the internet:
- Via WiFi – Go to Settings > WiFi > Set up Internet Connection > “Network” > Connect
- Via Cellular – Head to Settings > Mobile Data > “Enable” and exit the tab.
Keep in mind that streaming on cellular data will increasingly eat up your plan’s megabytes. It’s suggested to stream high-quality content on a WiFi connection!
Note: On different devices, the WiFi setup may be different, find the respective options in your device’s menu.
What you should do next, is have both your mobile device’s software and the app updated.
Running an older version on either instance could result in a variety of error codes, bugs and in-platform problems. This is why in this solution, we’ll make sure that you’re up to date!
Let’s begin with updating the app’ software!
- Launch the App Store of your device.
- Head to “Manage Installed Apps”.
- Locate the Virgin Sky Sports app from the list.
- Select the platform and choose“Update”.
- Wait for the installation to go through.
- On your mobile device, go to Settings.
- Press the General tab (for Androids, head directly to Software Update).
- Select the “Software Update” tab.
- Press “Check for Updates”.
- If an update is available, select “Update”.
Your device will most likely go into an update session as a result of doing that. Do not interact with the device or turn it off while it is still updating. This could cause further issues!
Note: The update takes time-based on your device performance and internet speed.
The app cache is something that piles up over time as a result of using the application.
If you had the Sky Sports app for too long now, the app cache could be overflowing.
The more the app cache, the slower the app’s performance. Corrupted cache data can also prevent us from signing in!
To clear the Sky Sports app’s cache, follow these instructions:
- Open your device’s Settings.
- Go to Apps or Storage.
- Locate the Sky Sports app.
- Press on the app to open the settings.
- Select the App Data tab.
- At the bottom of the screen, press “Clear Cache”.
- Wait for the cache to be cleared.
If you’re using an iPhone you can only “Offload” the app from Settings > Sky Sports.
Tip: To boost your device’s performance, clear the cache of all uploaded applications!
The Sky Sports application on your mobile device has certain in-app licenses that if disabled, the app will not function properly.
If crucial licenses and allowances are disabled, the app won’t even let you on or start streaming content to your device.
To manage the Sky Sports app’s licenses, follow these steps:
- Go into the Settings of your device.
- Head to “Applications”.
- Locate the Sky Sports app.
- Enter the app’s settings.
- Toggle ON all on-screen licenses.
- Save the changes you’ve made to the application.
- Exit the applications tab and launch Sky Sports.
Some of the licenses are required so the application could stream any of the content that you’re selecting. In addition, some of them are required for you to access the app.
This is why it’s extremely important to ensure that ALL of them are enabled.
Alert: Undergo any additional processes and prompts upon enabling the licenses!
In case of the Virgin Media Sky Sports app not working even after you’ve attempted everything, it’s time to perform a clean reinstallation.
This is the most method so far!
Here’s how to reinstall the Virgin Media platform in easy steps:
- Go into your phone’s Settings.
- Head to “Apps”.
- Locate the Sky Sports app.
- Select or highlight the platform.
- Choose “Uninstall”.
- Head into the App Store of the device.
- Use the search field to locate the Sky Sports app once again.
- Initiate a download for the application.
- Once the platform is installed, sign into your account and test.
When relaunching the app after the reinstallation, make sure to enable “Automatic Updates”.
This will keep the application up-to-date automatically, to prevent issues in the future. The Sky Sports app should now be working just fine!
Note: In case the issue persists, contact Virgin Media Customer Service for more help!
In case you’re suspecting that the Virgin Media servers are currently offline, hence the application is not working, you can justify.
Simply Check Virgin Media Status in your local area by filling in the passcode and account holder’s name.
Thus, the solution to the issue with the Sky Sports app is to relaunch the platform and restart your device. The next step is to pair your device with WiFi and clear the app cache of the platform. Finalize by updating the app or performing a clean installation!
Read Next: How to Fix Virgin Media TV No Signal?
We hope that you’ve learned how to solve the Virgin Media Sky Sports app not working issue as quickly as possible.
This problem has been lurking around the community for long enough and users came up with the best possible methods and solutions to troubleshoot!
To read more quick-fix solutions, check our online technical blog!v
Kevin has over five years of experience working in various Tech startups and providing Technical solutions. He has contributed to many Tech publications and websites.