Looking for the best Verizon FiOS ONT troubleshooting guide? Well, we’ve got you covered.
When your FiOS Optic Network Terminal (ONT) does not work as expected, we often wish we had a detailed solution guide that covers everything.
Well, this time you’re in luck because we’ve managed to uncover and solve many (if not all) potential FiOS ONT issues in one simple guide.
Troubleshooting a Verizon FiOS ONT’s power, connection and hardware is necessary for covering all general issues that could occur.
Advanced troubleshooting may include inspecting the software settings of the ONT and making sure nothing is misconfigured.
Stay with us to learn more about troubleshooting the FiOS ONT!
The Most-Frequent Issues with Verizon ONT:
To know what we’re troubleshooting exactly further into the guide, it’s best if we learn more about the potential problems that can occur on your ONT.
There is a wide variety of problems that are possible to occur on your ONT, disrupting the internet continuously or temporarily.
Here’s what most often causes problems with the Verizon FiOS ONT:
- Electrical problems will interrupt the electrical supply of the FiOS ONT
- Connection issues may include loose or faulty cables and connectivity issue
- Firmware issues translate into an outdated software version of the Verizon ONT
- Equipment failures include hardware damages with the ONT device
- Service outages from Verizon may also cause issues with the FiOS ONT
- A faulty optical cable causes service issues related to the FiOS ONT
To properly troubleshoot the device, determine the exact problem of the FiOS ONT using the symptoms we’ve listed above.
Knowing what’s wrong with the ONT is much more helpful when troubleshooting than only applying solutions that might not help at all.
Troubleshooting Verizon FiOS ONT – 7 Easy Methods!
Tip: Follow our steps in a consecutive order to resolve the problem faster!
1. Unplug the Verizon FiOS ONT
To address any general hardware/software issues with the ONT, unplugging it from power is your best option.
This is a quick resolution to any issues with the ONT, including electrical faults, issues with the software, a variety of error codes as well as any functionality problems.
- Unplugging your ONT is also called a ‘power cycle’ or ‘hard reset’.
Here’s how to properly discharge your Verizon FiOS ONT:
- Disconnect the power cable of the Verizon ONT.
- Wait for 4-5 minutes while the cable is unplugged.
- Reconnect the power adapter of the network device.
- Wait for the Verizon ONT to fully start up and test.
By unplugging the device from power, we discharge the hardware from current electricity which leads to a software refresh and wipeout of the temporal cache/data.
The power cycle is always helpful and specifically in situations where the problematic device is having power issues.
Alert: To properly apply the power cycle, keep the ONT unplugged for at least 4 minutes!
2. Inspect the Fiber Optic Connection
In order for the Verizon ONT to function properly, there must not be any problems with the fiber cable connections going into the back of the device.
This is why our next step is to inspect the fiber connection and validate any damages to the hardware to report to Verizon later.
- Closely inspect the fiber cable and port on the Verizon FiOS ONT.
Recognizing Cable Faults?
To act against any issues with the Verizon equipment, being able to spot damages on the cable is mandatory.
Primarily look for rips, cuts, or bent parts on the fiber cable that will expose any underlying issues with the equipment.
Notice: Any hardware/equipment issues must be reported to Verizon!
3. Check for Ongoing Maintenance
During maintenance or an outage with the Verizon FiOS service, troubleshooting the ONT could be pointless if the issue is on Verizon’s end.
The next step is to check the state of the Verizon servers and luckily they’ve got a dedicated tool to inform you of any Verizon outages!
Follow these steps to check if there are Verizon outages in your area:
- Navigate to the login page of Verizon through a compatible browser.
- Insert your User ID or Verizon mobile number and press “Continue”.
- Go to verizon.com/CheckStatus and follow the on-screen steps.
How Long Maintenances Last?
It is generally accepted that a service outage shouldn’t take longer than 1-2 hours when the problem is on Verizon’s end.
The information reflected on the Verizon outage report will include details on the issue with your service and when is the expected time for the service to resume.
Tip: Calling Verizon will answer more of your outage/maintenance-related questions!
4. Decipher Any Shown Error Codes
To quickly become fluent in troubleshooting any issues with the FiOS service, you must be capable of reading and deciphering any error codes.
These messages occur while viewing or using the FiOS service and usually have a description and meaning to look into.
Read the message included underneath the error code to uncover the reasoning behind the issue. You will understand why the error occurred and potentially what aspect of your FiOS ONT to troubleshoot.
The majority of error codes are related to the power, connectivity, or service.
Troubleshooting Error Codes?
Once you’ve understood why the error code occurs, proceed to troubleshoot according to the message’s description.
Feel free to scroll through the guide to find the solutions you need.
5. Check the Power Condition of the ONT
If the FiOS ONT seems to be randomly shutting down or restarting for no reason, it is possible that there’s a problem somewhere along the power equipment.
Your FiOS ONT’s power supply is dependent on electricity from the wall outlet and the plugged power adapter.
Verizon FiOS ONT Troubleshooting Power:
- Connect the FiOS ONT to another source and check if the power supply of the network device will improve.
- Clean the power adapter port on your ONT to make sure that the power cable is going in securely and is connected tightly.
- Inspect the power cable for damages and reach out to Verizon if the ONT itself or the power adapter is damaged in a recognizable way.
Note: Sometimes the power-related issue is coming from the A/C line (room fuse) so test if the condition of the ONT will improve, by connecting the device to another room.
6. Factory Reset the Verizon FiOS ONT
To easily resolve any issues with the Verizon FiOS ONT, a factory reset is an undoubtedly effective method.
It is a process that performs a total erase of the ONT software, including any functionality, or software problems with the device, hopefully solving any potential issues.
- You will need a paperclip or a needle to factory reset your Verizon ONT!
Follow these steps to perform a factory reset on your FiOS ONT:
- Locate a small pinhole with a reset button on the ONT.
- Use the pointed end of the paperclip to reach inside.
- Press and hold the reset button for 15-20 seconds.
- Release the button, take out the paperclip, and wait.
Info: The Verizon ONT may take up to 1-2 minutes to complete the reset.
7. Reset the Circuit Breaker’s Power
An efficient solution to any problems with the Verizon FiOS ONT is to completely reset the power supply from your home’s main circuit breaker.
There’s a switch in the circuit breaker’s panel connected with the ONT and pulling the switch down should turn off the power.
No Switch on the Circuit Breaker?
In case there is no power switch for your Verizon ONT specifically, turn the power to the room where the ONT is in.
If the ONT is connected to the powerline of your living room, the garage, or even somewhere outside, deactivate the power towards that location for 10-15 seconds.
Info: In case the issue is persistent, check whether other devices are also affected!
Need More Help?
If you’re experiencing an issue with the FiOS ONT even after performing all of the solutions in this guide, then it’s time for qualified assistance.
Feel free to reach out to Verizon Support so you can report the issue you’re facing and hopefully discover a solution. Good luck!
To achieve effective Verizon FiOS ONT troubleshooting, it’s necessary to power cycle the ONT first and inspect all of the cable connections.
In case that didn’t work, ensure that there are no ongoing Verizon outages and factory reset the ONT device’ software.
Follow us for more Verizon FiOS ONT tips, tricks, and solutions!