How come that Verizon FiOS keeps freezing? Well, keep reading to learn not only what causes the freezing problem with your Verizon Fios but also the best way to resolve the issue!
When Verizon Fios keeps randomly freezing, it could be due to the unstable connection between the set-top box and the router.
An equipment or cable problem could also cause random freezing on your Verizon Fios box as well as temporal signal outages.
Let’s learn about the causes of the freezing on your Verizon Fios!
7 Causes Why Verizon FiOS Keeps Freezing?
- Slow or unstable connection, reaching your FiOS box
- Issues with the software of your Verizon FiOS box
- Problem with the HDMI connection with the TV
- Your Verizon FiOS box has been overheating
- An issue with the installed signal splitter
- Temporal service outage or a maintenance
- An issue with your Verizon subscription
Here’s What to Try First!
When your Fios box freezes for the first time, make sure to wait for at least 2 or 3 minutes to justify whether the issue would go away or persist.
When the freezing is caused by a temporal signal issue, it could go away by itself in a few moments without the need for you to do anything!
How to Fix When FiOS TV One Keeps Freezing?
Tip: Follow our solutions in a consecutive order to resolve your issue faster!
1. Unplug your FiOS Box!
We will start with something simple such as unplugging your cable box.
If there was a temporal problem that caused your streaming device to freeze suddenly, a restart should cause the problem to go away!
- Unplugging your cable box also helps with overheating!
Follow these steps to properly unplug (power cycle) your FiOS box:
- Locate the power key on the FiOS box.
- Press the power button to shut down the box.
- Unplug the power cable of the FiOS box.
- Wait for another 30-40 seconds.
- Reconnect the adapter of the FiOS box.
Info: The key to discharging and power cycling your Verizon FiOS box more effectively is keeping the device unplugged for a longer amount of time.
2. Reconnect the HDMI Cable
It is possible that the sudden freeze of your Verizon FiOS is caused by an interrupted HDMI connection with the TV.
This can happen if the HDMI cable or potentially the HDMI ports malfunction and cause the screen of your Verizon FiOS to freeze on the latest picture.
- This solution helps if the Verizon FiOS TV box freezes repeatedly!
Follow these steps to reconnect the HDMI cable properly:
- Unplug the HDMI cable from your Verizon FiOS first.
- Disconnect the other end of the HDMI from your TV.
- Wait for up to 60 seconds while the HDMI is taken out.
- Re-install the HDMI into an alternative input on your TV.
- Connect the other end of the HDMI to your Verizon FiOS.
Notice: Connecting the HDMI into a different input means you will have to switch the selected source on your TV, using the TV remote control.
3. Switch the Broadcast
It is possible that the broadcast streamed on your Verizon Fios set-top-box is freezing and the problem is not entirely with your equipment.
To know for sure, we recommend switching to an alternative broadcast available on your Fios guide and watching it for a couple of minutes.
- Do not switch to broadcasts that are related to one another!
Info: If you switch to a broadcast that is by the same provider as the channel your box has been freezing on, the issue may occur again. Stream a completely random broadcast to test.
4. Inspect the Cable Configuration
It is also possible that the freezing is caused by improperly installed cables.
If the wires are not connected as designed by Verizon, your set-top box may freeze periodically to indicate the underlying problem with the cable configuration.
- Installing a Fios One box may not be possible without a Fios router!
Cable Setup Without Fios Router?
- Connect the power adapter of the Fios box to an outlet
- Connect the HDMI cable into your television device
- Connect the coaxial cable directly to the wall outlet
Cable Setup With Fios Router?
- Connect the power adapter of your Fios set-top-box to power
- Connect a signal splitter with the coaxial outlet in your home
- Connect the router to one of the ports on the signal splitter
- Connect your Fios set-top-box to the free port on the splitter
- Plug your Verizon Fios TV box with the television device
Using Wired Connection is Optional
You can also connect your Fios One and Fios One mini completely wirelessly to the Verizon router.
To achieve a wireless connection, DO NOT connect a coaxial cable to your TV box and place the streaming device close to your Verizon router.
Note: You will need one extra coaxial cable for installing the signal splitter to connect both your set-top box and the Verizon router.
If using WiFi, the devices should sync automatically!
5. Power Reset the FiOS Router
The freezing may be caused by your Fios router, rather than the Fios One box.
To address any issues with the Fios router in your setup, perform a power reset on the device to refresh the hardware and software of the network device.
Here’s how to power reset your Fios router in easy steps:
- Unplug the power cable of the Fios router.
- Wait for up to 60 seconds while the device is unplugged.
- Reconnect the power cable of the router back into power.
- Wait for the network device to startup and test your One box.
Alert: If your Verizon Fios router is rebooting or shutting down randomly, it could be due to a fault with the power supply.
Plug the router in a different outlet and do not use connectors!
6. Diagnose the Signal Strength
On Verizon FiOS TV boxes, you’re able to diagnose the strength of the signal on your device.
It is a clever way to check if the unexplained freezing of your set-top box is caused by the weak signal on the current location of the streaming appliance.
- Once you’ve tested the signal quality, report the results to Verizon!
Here’s how to diagnose the signal strength on your Verizon FiOS box:
- Using the Verizon Fios remote, go to the Menu page.
- Navigate to the “Help” tab using the remote control.
- Access the “Self Diagnostics” page and wait.
Ways to Improve Signal Strength On Verizon FiOS Box?
- Place the set-top-box as close to the router as possible
- Use a wired connection over WiFi (transfers data better)
- Move other wireless devices close to your Fios router
Info: The results table you will see in the diagnostics menu will show the signal strength of your service and whether there’s a slowdown in the signal or not.
7. Re-Activate your Equipment!
It is possible that the activation for your Verizon Fios box has not been successful. It is worth mentioning that a Verizon Fios box may not activate without the router if you’re using them in a combo.
How to Activate a Verizon FiOS Router?
- Connect a PC / laptop to the router via Ethernet.
- Launch a web browser on the connected device.
- You will automatically be taken to the setup page.
- Insert the required information to finalize the setup.
How to Activate a Verizon FiOS Box?
- Launch the settings on your Fios box.
- Navigate into the “Voice Control” tab.
- Choose “Fios Voice Remote”.
- Tap “Program Voice Remote”.
- Choose “Manual Setup” and follow the steps.
Info: Manually setting up the voice remote on your FiOS box will activate the service.
If you connect a Fios set-top-box to an activated Fios router, the setup is automatic!
8. Factory Reset the Verizon Router
To resolve the freezing problem on both your set-top box and Verizon router, you must undergo a factory reset to erase all data on the devices.
It’s a certified way to resolve any unknown issues on either of your devices and also works great for the freezing problem!
Here’s how to factory reset your Verizon router in easy steps:
- Examine the back panel of your Verizon router.
- Locate the Reset button on the back of the device.
- Use a paperclip to insert into the reset button pinhole.
- Press and hold the button for 15-20 seconds and let go.
Info: After the factory reset is complete, you will have to re-activate your Verizon router all over again.
Connect a PC/laptop to the device and launch a web browser to undergo an activation!
We’ve learned that when your Verizon Fios keeps freezing, we power cycle the set-top box along with the router first.
If that didn’t work, check if your Fios boxes are activated, diagnose the signal strength and factory reset the Fios equipment!
Read Next: Verizon Fios App Not Working? – Here’s How to Fix
Kevin has over five years of experience working in various Tech startups and providing Technical solutions. He has contributed to many Tech publications and websites.