The process to unlink phone number from Alexa can be quite complicated and frustrating.
When you first link your phone with Alexa, it is all fun and interesting. You get to try new things and issue commands around the house.
But if you ever consider unlinking Alexa won’t take such a command. So what do you do to unlink your phone from Alexa?
To unlink your phone number, you will have to delete it under contacts.
When the phone number has been added to Alexa, it functions just like one of the contacts.
For you to be able to remove it, you have to administratively log in to your Alexa application and delete the contact.
Alexa will take all your commands but will not accept a command to unlink your phone number. For this reason, you have to take the right steps and procedures.
Why Unlink Your Phone Number From Alexa
While considering how to unlink a phone number from Alexa, it is good you know why it is necessary.
If you are comfortable with Alexa controlling your calls and messages, you do not have to unlink. However, if you need to take control back, you have to unlink.
The reasons to unlink a phone from Alexa include:
- The need to restore privacy to your calls. When Alexa controls calls, your calls may be audible to everyone within your house
- You are no longer busy and can manage your calls personally
- The Alexa system affects your calls such that all connected devices ring when someone calls
- Your Alexa system is broken and can no longer operate your calls effectively
To unlink your phone number from Alexa is similar to unlocking a locked phone.
In other words, you are taking away the phone number from its primary control unit. This is why it can be quite a tiresome process.
Steps to Unlink Phone Number From Alexa
Interestingly, the steps to unlink your phone number from Alexa are not that complicated.
As a matter of fact, it takes just a few minutes to get your phone delinked from Alexa. Below are the steps to follow to remove phone number from Alexa.
Step #1 Access the Alexa Management Application and Login
If you are already using Alexa you should have installed the Alexa app. Everything on Alexa is managed through the Alexa application.
The first step to unlink Alexa involves
- Find the Alexa app and open it
- Log in using Amazon Logins for the parent Amazon account
- When the app opens, you should see the main home screen
From here, follow the next steps to remove your number from the Alexa application and consequently from the Alexa echo device.
Step #2 Search for Your Phone on Alexa
The next step is to find your phone that is linked to Alexa. The problem with Alexa is that it does not just link the phone number.
If your number is linked, it is identified by your device. For you to unlink your phone number, you also have to unlink your phone.
Now here is where the problem comes in. In some instances, you may have linked too many devices to your Alexa echo.
In this case, you have to take time and search for your specific phone.
To find your phone
- Click on All Devices from your Alexa homepage
- Scroll through the list of Linked devices until you find your phone
- If you do not know the name of your phone, find out from your phone’s settings under About Device
- Once you find the phone you want to delink, tap on it
- The phone should open an overview of information
- Read through this information to confirm that you are delinking the right device
- Once you confirm, you can move on to the next steps
Note: If you have linked devices such as Echo and Fire TV, your list of linked devices can be quite long.
You must double-check to see that you find the right device to be delinked.
Step #3 Access Alexa Application Contact Settings
Do not close your phone over the view page yet. This next step will take place right within your phone number submenu.
You must access the Alexa Application contacts settings with the phone number selected.
How to do this:
- Tap on Settings(The Gear Icon) in the upper right corner of your screen
- A submenu of information about your device will show up
- Verify that it is your phone you want to delink by checking the name of the device selected
- Tap on the Trash Icon once you have confirmed that it is your phone you want to delink
- You will see a dialogue box requiring confirmation to delete the device
- Select Delete to proceed
- The app will take a few minutes to process and your phone will be deleted.
Note: You will receive a warning stating that you will lose the ability to access any separate groups and routines set up within Alexa.
If you feel that you no longer want to delete your number because of these reasons, you may cancel the process and go back.
Step #4 Confirm That the Device Has Been Delinked From Alexa
Once you confirm the deletion, the Alexa app may take a few minutes to process your request.
You will then see a dialogue box stating that you have completed unlinking your phone number.
This should be an indication that the process has been successful.
Even so, there are cases where individuals have failed to complete the process.
To deal with any doubts you can manually check to see if the device is deleted.
The process of manually checking is simple.
- Go back to your Alexa application Home Page
- Select the All Devices page and scroll through all the connected devices
- If you do not see the name of your phone, it has been delinked successfully
- If the name of your phone is still listed, deletion was not successful
Note: If there was a technical glitch that caused your number not to be deleted, you may want to try again.
However, ensure that you have a stable internet connection before you try the process a second time.
Step #5 Delete Phone Number From Alexa Contacts
Once you have finished the steps above, your device will no longer be linked with Alexa.
This means that you can receive phone calls with your phone and not Alexa.
However, if you do not want any of your information to remain on Alexa, you may go a step higher.
Your phone number might still remain on Alexa as a contact. If you are actually trying to sell your Alexa echo device, this could be a problem.
In this case, you want to ensure that you remove all contacts including your phone number.
Here are steps to delete your number from Alexa contacts
- Open your Alexa application and log in
- Tap on the Settings Icon at the top right corner of your screen
- Tap on Communication or Communicate
- Select the Contacts Icon and scroll through the contacts to find your phone number
- Select your phone number by tapping on it
- Select Edit Contact
- Tap on Delete Contact
Note: This will permanently delete the selected contact from your contacts book on all Amazon platforms.
If you still need to use the same contact, find another way of storing it.
It can be frustrating trying to unlink phone number from Alexa. The Alexa system is designed in such a way that it permanently links your primary phone number to your device.
Even so, it is still possible to separate your phone number from Alexa.
Use your Alexa application and follow the steps above to unlink your phone. If you run into trouble, you may have to exit your application and try the process again.
Make sure you are connected to the internet for the process to be successful.
Read Next: Alexa Won’t Play Amazon Music Unlimited? – Fix Guide
Kevin has over five years of experience working in various Tech startups and providing Technical solutions. He has contributed to many Tech publications and websites.