Troubleshooting a TELUS SIM card not working can reveal a lot of issues.
If you have trouble with your TELUS SIM card, it is prudent you try fixing it.
If your TELUS SIM card is not working, chances are you won’t access calls, messages and data services.
Even if your SIM card won’t load, we have the solution for you.
To fix a TELUS SIM card that does not work, you change the device and carrier settings. If the device is locked to a different network, the first step is to unlock it. If the device is okay, change the device or carrier settings.
Besides device and carrier network settings, SIM card issues could result in data disconnection.
Let us start by looking at the ways to troubleshoot your TELUS SIM card issue.
The issues that affect a TELUS line are varied. Below are the Main issues that affect your SIM card
- SIM card is not activated: This is an issue that affects new SIM cards. For a new TELUS SIM card not working, chances are it is not activated.
- Carrier and device settings: The other main issue that affects your SIM card function is settings. If the device has undergone settings changes, it could affect SIM functions
- Coverage problems: Change roaming location could easily resolve the problem if you are lacking coverage
- Device malfunction: Both the hardware and software of your device could affect SIM function.
Below, we are going to look at some of the common issues that affect your phone and all the solutions.
You can be sure that you will find a solution for your SIM card here.
The first problem you should check is signal strength. Signal strength can be determined by looking at the signal bars on your status bar.
When there is sufficient signal to run your SIM, your signal bar should be almost full. If the signal indicator has zero bars, there could be coverage issues.
To determine if it is a problem with your SIM, check with another person. If someone else uses a TELUS line, check their signal strength to determine if there is sufficient coverage.
Alternatively, check the TELUS coverage maps. If you have limited signal strength, try moving to an area with better coverage.
Note: Basements and concrete buildings could have poor coverage.
If the problem you are having with your device is related to data connection, check LTE settings.
Devices that are LTE capable enhance data connection when LTE is active. On most devices, LTE is enabled by default.
How to Activate LTE on iPhone
For iPhone, go to
- Cellular Data Options
- Voice and Data then select
- LTE, VoLTE.
How to Activate LTE on Android
Different Android devices may have diverse setting options from the one indicated here.
This method is functional on Samsung and Huawei devices plus many other android devices.
To activate LTE, go to
- Mobile Networks
- Network Mode then Select
- LTE/WCDMA/GSM(auto connect).
Note: For Huawei and Google Pixel, "Network Mode" is listed as "Preferred Network Mode"
All mobile phones are mechanical gadgets. As you should expect, mechanical gadgets could encounter errors.
If your device suffers a glitch, it could completely lose signal strength. It could even fail to recognize your SIM card.
How to Clear Glitches From Your Device:
- Press and hold the power button
- If your device provides options for “Turn Off and Restart” select “Turn Off”
- If your device does not present options, it should turn off if you hold the power button for about ten seconds
- Wait until the phone turns off then remove the battery if your phone has a removable one
- Wait for five seconds and return the battery
- Turn on the device and check to see if the SIM card is now working.
Solution #4: Activate SIM Card and Data
SIM card failure could be because it is not activated. If you purchased a new TELUS SIM card, make sure it has been activated at the purchase point.
Once your SIM is active, you will receive an activation message.
If your SIM is active, your phone could be blocking some functions.
If you are using a new non-TELUS device such as an iPhone, you should ensure that the right settings are active.
How to Activate Data on an Apple Device:
- Ensure that you have the latest version of iTunes installed on your computer
- Connect the new iPhone or iPad to your computer using a USB cable
- When iTunes starts and prompts to install updated carrier settings accept
- iTunes will carry out the rest of the process to update data, SMS and voice services.
Note: You can check if your phone is up-to-date by going to Settings> General> About.
If the carrier is listed as TELUS, there is no need to update carrier settings.
How to Activate Data for Android:
For Android users, all you have to do is verify APN settings. Remember that the settings should be updated automatically when you insert a new SIM.
Here are the Steps to Update Your Settings:
- Insert your TELUS SIM into your device for the first time
- Turn off the device for about 5 seconds and turn it back on
- Turn off your WiFi and activate data on your phone then try accessing the internet
The other reason your SIM card may fail is if there is a hardware problem.
It could be a temporary or a permanent issue with your phone. If your phone falls down, the impact could dislocate the card.
To deal with hardware malfunction on the SIM card,
- Remove the SIM card from the phone
- Check it for physical damages. If it is damaged, get a new one
- If the SIM card is physically good, try placing it in another phone.
- If the SIM card works, it is your phone that has hardware problems
If it is your phone that has a hardware problem, you have to consult an expert for repair or return it to the seller for repair.
If your phone has the wrong settings, your SIM card may fail to function entirely.
Given that you do not know the source, simply reset the entire network settings.
To reset your network for Apple devices,
- Go to Settings
- Select General
- Select Reset
- Select Network
- Input your password or pattern and the process will be complete.
To reset your device for android devices
- Go to Settings
- Scroll down and select System Reset
- Select Reset Options
- Select Reset Networks
In some devices, you will find an option for “Reset WiFi Mobile and Bluetooth” instead of “Networks”
Note: This action also deletes your WiFi passwords and changes cellular settings such as VPN preferences.
If your device is not updated, you might experience network issues. Both Android and Apple devices are designed to update automatically.
However, if the auto-update option is turned off, your device may not get updated.
Here is how to turn on updates:
To update the system on any Apple device,
- Go to Settings
- Select General
- Select Software Update
- Tap on Automatic Updates
- Select Turn on iOS Updates
To update the system for Android devices,
- Go to Settings
- Scroll down to System
- Select System Update
- Turn on Auto Download Updates
Note: On some android devices, the option for “System Update” is right under the settings option.
To resolve the TELUS SIM card Not Working issue, you have to look at all potential issues. Try dealing with your phone settings and hardware issues.
However, if you are dealing with a new SIM card simply call TELUS at 1-866-558-2273 for assistance.
Read Next: Why TELUS WiFi Keeps Disconnecting?
Kevin has over five years of experience working in various Tech startups and providing Technical solutions. He has contributed to many Tech publications and websites.