Sky Go not connecting to Sky Q box is a frequent issue that started to occur recently after Sky switched the Sky Q app with Sky Go.
So if you’re also experiencing issues with the linking process between the Sky Go app and the Sky Q TV box, then here we’ll unwrap everything!
The reason why the Sky Go mobile app is not connecting to your Sky Q TV box is either due to your internet connection or a fault with the Sky Go app.
You need to use the same WiFi for both devices and verify that the Sky Go mobile app is up to date!
Let’s continue to unwrap!
Why Is the Sky Go App Not Connecting to Sky Q Box?
Typically, connecting your Sky Go mobile app to the Sky Q TV box will allow users to watch the content they’ve recorded on Sky Q, on their big-screen Sky Q TV.
This feature is only available with the “Multiscreen” Sky Go subscription and requires an internet connection in order to work.
Here are the possible reasons why Sky Go is not connecting to Sky Q:
How to Connect Sky Go to Sky Q?
Open the Sky Go app, go to Settings, and enable the “Connect to Sky Q box” option.
When you open the Sky Go app on your device, the app will immediately look for your Sky Q box on your local network.
Note: You will see a message “We’ve found a Sky Q box”, and shortly after “Connected to Sky Q box”.
Sky Go Not Connecting to Sky Q Box – 6 Quick Fixes!
There are quite a few quick fixes to attempt when Sky Go is not connecting to your Sky Q TV box.
So, follow the steps in order to resolve the Sky connection problem as soon as possible!
1. Refresh Your Sky Q and Sky Go!
The first and easiest step is to restart both your Sky Go mobile app and your Sky Q TV box to refresh all services and test the connection again.
We recommend rebooting both your phone and your Sky Q TV box, by unplugging from the power.
On your mobile, make sure that you exit Sky Go, and not only temporarily minimize the app, because this won’t help.
As far as your Sky Q, keep the TV box unplugged for 60 seconds, and then connect directly to the power outlet.
Test connecting Sky Go, in case the connection keeps failing, continue reading!
2. Use the Same WiFi for Sky Go/Q
In order to pair Sky Go with a Sky Q TV box, you need to have both devices connected to the same WiFi or the same broadband.
The Sky Q box supports both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz WiFi frequencies as well as an Ethernet connection.
So, you need to verify that your phone where the Sky Go is installed is connected to your router that your Sky Q TV box is also connected to.
In other words, both devices need to be on the same network, in order for the Sky Go app to automatically pair to the Sky Q TV box.
How to Connect Sky Q to the Internet?
- Press “Home” on your Sky Q remote.
- Then go to “Settings”, then “Network”.
- Next, highlight “Status” and move right.
- Select the option as per your setup:
- Connect to Sky Broadband WiFi.
- Connect WiFi from another provider.
- Connect to your router with a wired connection.
Based on your internet option, enter your Sky Q box PIN and follow the on-screen instructions for connecting to WiFi or to your router.
How to Connect a Phone to WiFi?
- On iOS, go to Settings, tap on “WiFi”, toggle on, and connect to your WiFi.
- On Android, go to Settings, and enter “Network & Internet” to connect to WiFi.
Note: Make sure to select the same WiFi (router) as your Sky Q TV box!
3. Unpair and Pair Sky Go to Sky Q
In case your Sky Go app says “Connected to Sky Q box” but you’re unable to view Live TV on your Sky Q box or share recordings, unpair and pair again.
This is a quick process and only requires you to manually unpair, after which, the Sky Q app will freshly reconnect to your Sky Q.
How to Disconnect Sky Go from Sky Q?
- On Apple – Open the Sky Go app, go to Settings, then enter Preferences and toggle off the “Connect to Sky Q box”.
- On Android – Swipe down from the top of the screen to find the “Connected to Sky Go” notification and tap on “Disconnect” to unpair.
- On PC/Mac – Open the Sky Go app, click on Settings, then Preferences, and toggle off the “Connect to Sky Q box”.
Then, your Sky Go app will attempt to reconnect to your Sky Q, and shortly after you should see the message “Connected to Sky Q box”.
In case, however, this didn’t work, continue reading!
4. Refresh Your Sky Q Applications!
There is a very effective way to troubleshoot potential problems with your Sky Q applications, including Sky Go.
The option to refresh your Sky Q applications is not visible without knowing where to look, so follow the steps below on your Sky Q TV box to refresh all applications!
- First, from the Sky Q home screen, go to Settings.
- Do not enter the settings, only highlight the tab.
- Then, on the remote, press 0 – 0 – 0 – Select buttons.
- This will reveal the hidden developer options menu.
- Finally, select the “Refresh All Apps” menu option.
Tip: When you’re ready, unpair your Sky Go app from your Sky Q TV box and test the automatic connection again.
5. Reinstall the Sky Go Mobile App
Sometimes the reason why your Sky Go is unable to connect to the Sky Q TV box is due to the mobile application.
The exact reason could be related to the application’s data, cache data, or an outdated version, hence a clean app reinstallation will address all of the possibilities at once!
How to Reinstall Sky Go on Mobile?
- On Android, tap and hold on the Sky Go icon and drag the app into the trash bin. Or, go to Settings > Applications > Manage Installed Applications, select Sky Go, and then Uninstall.
- On iOS, tap and hold the Sky Go app icon, until the options appear and select “Remove” and then confirm to uninstall the app from your Apple device.
Note: You should then download Sky Go from Google Play Store or App Store!
How to Reinstall Sky Go on PC/Mac?
- On Windows, you can uninstall Sky Go from the Control Panel, under the “Programs & Features” tab. You only need to locate Sky Go from the list and click on “Uninstall”.
- On macOS, you can remove apps from the “Finder”, by locating the icon, clicking on Sky Go, and then selecting “Move to Bin”. To erase the app completely, empty the bin.
Note: To install Sky Go for Windows or macOS, go to Sky Downloads!
6. Check for Sky Go or Sky TV Outages!
Even if rarely, the reason why Sky Go is currently unable to connect to Sky Q might be due to an outage on Sky’s end.
When their servers are not responding, you’ll be unable to pair the Sky Go mobile app, even when everything on your side is intact.
You can check for Sky service outages at Sky Status.
Then look under “Sky Mobile” or “Sky TV apps” for reported outages or maintenance.
In case there is an ongoing downtime, you should know that your Sky Go might not connect to Sky Q.
In case of an outage, keep in mind that this is beyond your control, and you might need to wait.
Note: Typically outages don't last longer than 2-3 hours!
Hence, the reason why Sky Go not connecting to Sky Q box is typically because your phone and Sky Q TV box are not on the same internet.
If they are, but the connection is still not working, it’s best to power cycle your setup and reinstall the Sky Go mobile app.
Follow us for more Sky Q and Sky Go troubleshooting content!