Is your Shaw Direct Receiver red light blinking? There’s an easy way out of this!
A blinking red light couldn’t mean a good thing on whatever device it is encountered.
In fact, the red light on your Shaw Direct Receiver doesn’t certainly mean that there is a fault but it could mean one, based on the circumstances.
Here’s how to fix the red light on your receiver:
To fix when Shaw Direct Receiver is blinking in red light, reboot the device and then perform a “Refresh”. Next, reconnected the Shaw Direct to the internet and read and delete all messages in the inbox. Finally, perform a Factory Reset on the receiver.
To learn more about the red light on your Shaw Receiver, keep reading!
What could cause the red blinking light on your Shaw Direct Receiver are unread messages.
If you didn’t know by now, there is an inbox on your Shaw Receiver that accepts messages sent to your receiver’s address.
In most cases, those messages are sent by Shaw themselves, to notify you of an ongoing promotion or an unapplied update to your TV box.
Let’s review what could possibly make your Shaw Receiver blink in red colour:
- There has been an Internet Connection Issue with your Shaw Direct Receiver
- You have Unread Messages causing the red light to blink
- There’s a problem with the Signal Coverage and Income due to bad weather
After discussing what might impact your Shaw Direct Receiver’s functionality and make the red light blink, we’re ready to initiate the troubleshooting.
Keep reading our guide to unveiling the best troubleshooting solutions for your receiver!
To elevate your troubleshooting and achieve maximum efficiency, follow our solutions in chronological order and do not skip any of them.
Not applying any of the instructions may result in the failure of the problem’s resolution, so keep that in mind.
With that being said, let’s jump straight into it!
As we’ve already mentioned, what causes the red blinking light is Unread Messages!
These messages pile up in your receiver’s inbox and if not read, they will cause the receiver to blink.
These messages may include information about unapplied or pending updates, newer software versions, notifications about promotions, subscriptions and more.
To read and delete all of the messages, follow these steps:
- On your Shaw TV box remote, press the Menu Button.
- Choose “Messages” in the next tab.
- Highlight a message in order to read it.
- Press the “X” icon to dispose of the message.
- Repeat all of the above steps for each new message in your inbox.
- Check if the receiver will still be blinking in the red light.
Note: You may have to restart your Shaw Direct Receiver once after deleting all messages.
Next, we’ll be performing one of the simplest solutions, but yet, to great effect.
We’ll be rebooting your Shaw Direct Receiver, but in an advanced way to also achieve a power discharge of the device’s hardware.
This is known to properly refresh the software of the device along with the hardware and have all of the temporal cache removed, which could cause issues.
To perform an Advanced Reboot on your Shaw Receiver, follow these instructions:
- Shut down your receiver by pressing the Power Switch.
- Once the Shaw receiver has shut down, unplug the power cord.
- Be patient for at least 5 Minutes while the Shaw Receiver’s power is cut.
- Once 5 minutes have elapsed, re-attach the power adapter of the device.
- Turn on the receiver and wait for it to load.
- Check if the blinking red light is still there.
Alert: Keep the Shaw Direct Receiver unplugged for the full duration of 5 minutes.
Chances are that your Shaw Receiver got disconnected from the internet.
This is an often occurrence and could also cause the LED of the device to blink in red colour.
The only way to settle this is to have your Shaw Receiver reconnected to the internet by managing the physical Ethernet Connection the receiver has established with the network device.
Here’s how to manage the receiver’s internet connection:
- Plug your Shaw Direct Receiver and the Network Modem using an Ethernet Cable
Ethernet cable is used to directly supply your Shaw Direct Receiver with the internet and make it eligible for accessing the network.
If you’re noticing any visual damage inflicted on the cable, make sure to get it replaced as soon as possible since this could be causing the problem.
Note: Avoid using second-hand Ethernet Cables due to them being worn out.
Another quick and easy way to settle the problem with the blinking red light is to reconnect the coaxial cable.
If your receiver is failing to acquire a signal through the satellite dish, it would also blink in red colour to indicate that very fault.
In order to refresh the connection with the dish, the coaxial cable must be reconnected:
- Disconnect the Coaxial Cable, hooking up your receiver with the satellite dish
Once reconnecting the coaxial cable of your Shaw Direct Receiver, make sure to properly tighten and secure it into the port.
If the connection becomes loose, your receiver may still be losing signal and therefore blink in red color.
Note: Make sure to keep the coaxial disconnected from the receiver for at least 5 minutes
Next, we’ll be performing the so-called “Refresh” on your Shaw Direct Receiver.
This feature is implemented by the manufacturers of the Shaw software, and allows the complete checkup and update of the receiver’s software.
In other words, we’ll be refreshing the software, along with applying the latest version available for your Shaw receiver.
Here’s how to perform a Refresh on the Shaw Direct Receiver in easy steps:
- Double-check that you’re logged into Shaw.
- Press the left sidebar in order to access the additional settings.
- Select the TV Icon.
- Under the Refresh Button, press “TV Receiver”.
- Choose “Refresh Receiver”.
- Wait for the process to take effect.
It may take your receiver around 30-60 seconds in order to complete the refresh and once it has completed, it will undergo a software restart.
Alert: Make sure that the receiver is not bothered while performing the refresh.
If nothing worked so far, perhaps it’s time for the Factory Reset.
This is our most powerful solution so far, since it will reset all of the settings on your receiver, back to their factory values.
It is not recommended unless you’ve tried everything so far and nothing seems to be working for the resolution of your Shaw Direct Receiver’s problem.
Here’s how to apply a Factory Reset on your Shaw Direct Receiver:
- Press Options on your Shaw Remote Control.
- Head to the Options Menu.
- On your Shaw Remote, press the following key combination – 6 7 7 8 6 C.
- The next thing you’ll see on your screen is a confirmation prompt.
- Press “Confirm”, in order to start a Factory Reset for your receiver.
- Wait for the process’s full being.
- Check if your receiver would still display the red blinking light.
You must make sure that the receiver remains unbothered while ongoing the reset.
Interacting with the device in any way could cause the reset to be cancelled and therefore none of the content or settings will be erased as a result.
Alert: Keep in mind that a Factory Reset will erase all stored content on your receiver.
Need a New Ethernet Cable?
Grab this HYTEK Cat8 Ethernet Cablesupporting high speed to establish the internet on your receiver. Network Connection won’t be one of the things that’ll be bothering you anytime soon once you get this cable!
- 【ULTRA HIGH SPEED】Our latest CAT8 ethernet…
- 【FLEXIBLE & DURABLE】 Flat cables are more…
- 【BURIED-CAPABLE CABLE】: Environmental thick…
- 【PREMIUM QUALITY】All our CAT8 cabkes are made…
Thus, to fix when Shaw Direct Receiver red light blinking but to no avail, reboot the device and clear all messages in your inbox. Next, “Refresh” the receiver and reconnect it back to the internet and finally, unplug the coax cable and Factory Reset the receiver.
If you’re still experiencing issues with your receiver, consider contacting Shaw for more help!
Read Next: Shaw Blue Curve Remote Not Working? – Fixed
Kevin has over five years of experience working in various Tech startups and providing Technical solutions. He has contributed to many Tech publications and websites.
Amazon Links : Last update on 2023-02-04 / Price & Images from Amazon Product Advertising API. You will be redirected to Amazon website to complete the checkout process.