Nest thermostat unable to start device pairing, and you are wondering why?
Well, in most cases, the issue is related to the Wi-Fi network, such as a bad signal or no internet connection at all.
Hence, regardless of where the problem comes from, we will take you through different solutions to help you address the pairing problem with your Nest thermostat in no time.
If your Nest thermostat cannot start device pairing, check your internet/Wi-Fi and perform a soft reset or factory reset of the thermostat.
So, without any further delay, let’s move further and start troubleshooting!
Nest Thermostat Unable to Start Device Pairing – How to Fix?
The Nest Thermostat is a fantastic way to control your home’s temperature, but experiencing problems in the device’s pairing can be pretty frustrating.
In the below section, we will discuss some of the best solutions that will hopefully help you pair your thermostat device to the app.
Tip: Implement each step in the way we’ve listed below!
1. Check Your Wi-Fi Network
The first thing you should do is to check the connectivity and network strength on your Nest thermostat.
It is crucial because sometimes your thermostat’s Wi-Fi connectivity drops or has bad signals, which may prevent it from appearing in the app during device pairing.
Follow these steps to check the thermostat’s network:
- Go to your thermostat.
- Open the “Quick Menu.”
- Open the “Settings” tab.
- Select “Technical Info.”
- Then, select “Network.”
- Ensure it is connected.
Moreover, you must ensure that your mobile and thermostat are connected to the same Wi-Fi network and your Wi-Fi router is not placed too far from the thermostat.
Your Nest thermostat and router must be in a centralized location in your home to prevent obstruction or interference.
Tip: Test your Wi-Fi network by using a secondary device!
2. Soft Reset the Nest Thermostat
Sometimes, a temporal glitch might prevent your thermostat from device pairing.
Therefore, we suggest a soft reset of your Nest thermostat, as sometimes this might be just enough to get your thermostat back on track.
This method will clear temporal glitches and refresh your system.
To soft reset your Nest thermostat, follow these steps:
- Push the Nest thermostat’s ring on the display.
- Keep holding until the display becomes black.
- Then, release the ring and wait a few moments.
- Push the thermostat’s ring to power it back on.
After restarting, check if your Nest thermostat can pair in the app.
If a hard reset doesn’t work and the problem continues, proceed with the following solutions…
3. Troubleshoot the Wi-Fi Network
Your thermostat requires strong and stable access to your home Wi-Fi network to pair with the app.
In case your device is still unable to start device pairing, there’s a high chance that the issue could be with your Wi-Fi router, not with the thermostat’s hardware.
So, here are a couple of ways to troubleshoot your Wi-Fi network:
- Restart your Wi-Fi router – unplug your router and modem from the outlet, wait for about 60 seconds, and then plug your router and modem back in.
- Re-attach all the cables – disconnect and re-insert the Power and Ethernet cables to your modem and router and ensure they are plugged in tightly.
- Reduce the congestion – disconnect unused devices from the Wi-Fi to reduce network overload and free up the bandwidth.
After you set up everything, restart the Wi-Fi router again and then add your Nest thermostat to the Nest app again.
In case the device’s pairing still fails, you need some more troubleshooting!
Reminder: Your Nest thermostat and Nest mobile device must be on the same Wi-Fi.
4. Check for System Firmware Update
If your Nest thermostat cannot start device pairing, it is most likely that your device is running on an outdated firmware version.
So, check to see if any update is available and install it on your thermostat, as system upgrades may come up with bug fixes that can solve the device pairing.
Follow these steps to update your Nest thermostat:
- Launch the “Quick Menu.”
- Open the “Settings” screen.
- Press on “Technical Info.”
- Select “Software Version.”
- Check for system upgrades.
If any update is available, then install it on your Nest thermostat.
Also, ensure your thermostat has a stable internet connection, otherwise, your device won’t install any of the latest updates.
After updating the software, your thermostat should restart and start independently.
Now, again, attempt to re-add your Nest thermostat to the Nest mobile application and test if you can pair it.
Note: Make sure that you have the latest version of the Nest app installed on your phone!
5. Use the Nest App for Device Pairing
Many users have reported being unable to start pairing configuration not available on their Nest thermostat when attempting to add the thermostat to the Google Home app.
So, we recommend adding your Nest thermostat to the Nest app, which is a more reliable and trouble-free option.
Note: Adding your thermostat in the Nest app will automatically show it up in the Home app!
How to Pair Your Nest Thermostat in the Nest App?
The entire Nest thermostat to Nest app connection consists of two simple steps:
Step #1 Get Your Nest Entry Key
- Go to your Nest thermostat.
- Push the thermostat’s ring.
- Open the Quick View menu.
- Tap “Settings” > “Nest app.”
- Then, select “Get Entry Key.”
Step #2 Pair Your Nest Thermostat:
- Download the Nest app from the phone’s store.
- Launch the Nest app and Sign Up into the app.
- Then, tap on the “Menu” button from the top left.
- Tap on the “Add Plus” icon and then Continue.
- Next, name your home and then tap on “Next.”
- Then, input the home’s address and tap “Next.”
- Tap on the “Settings” and then “Add Product.”
- Then, choose “Continue Without Scanning.”
- Select the thermostat and follow the instructions.
When prompted to enter the “Entry Key,” type in the key on your thermostat’s screen.
After you enter the key, your Nest thermostat will add up and appear in the Nest app.
The Nest thermostat should also start showing up in the Google Home app.
Tip: If you can’t see your Nest thermostat in the Google Home app, perform a power cycle!
6. Remove and Re-add the Thermostat
If you’ve already tried the exact and correct steps to add your thermostat into the app but are still unable to start device pairing Nest, then try removing the thermostat from the app.
This technique will refresh the connection and resolve any Nest software-related pairing problems.
To re-add your thermostat, do the following:
Note: Before you proceed, remove your Nest device from the Google Home app!
How to Remove Nest Thermostat?
- First, open the Nest app on your mobile device.
- Then, find and tap on the “Menu” icon at the top.
- Choose the home in which a thermostat is added.
- Tap on the “Settings” icon and then “Home info.”
- After that, press on “Leave home” and “Leave.”
This will delete the old Home and any added Nest products from the app!
How to Re-add Nest Thermostat?
- Tap on “Add Home” to create one.
- Press on the “Add product” button.
- Select “Continue without scanning.”
- Choose the Nest thermostat device.
- Follow the on-screen instructions.
- When prompted, then enter the key.
That’s all! If the issue persists, there’s one more thing to try!
7. Reset the Thermostat’s System
As a final fix, we recommend performing a factory reset on the Nest thermostat. This is an ideal workaround when no other fix works out.
The reset will clear all pairing issues with your thermostat and return it to its default settings, but you’ll have to set up everything from scratch.
Here’s how to factory reset your Nest thermostat in easy steps:
- Launch the Quick View menu on the screen.
- Open the “Settings” menu on your thermostat.
- Press “Reset” and then the “All Settings” tab.
- Wait a few seconds for the thermostat to reset.
Reminder: After resetting, you must re-set up and add your thermostat in the Nest app!
Hence, when your Nest thermostat is unable to start device pairing, you must restart your pairing devices and ensure a stable and same Wi-Fi connection.
Also, we recommend re-adding the thermostat from the app and performing the factory restoration process.
Follow us for more Nest thermostat solutions!
Kevin has over five years of experience working in various Tech startups and providing Technical solutions. He has contributed to many Tech publications and websites.