Are you wondering why the Nest thermostat changes temperature on its own?
This has been a question for many Nest users, and in this guide, we will uncover what causes the fluctuations in the temperature and how to prevent it.
Furthermore, we will understand how the “Auto-Schedule” works on Nest thermostats, how to manage it, and how to make it static!
Whenever the Nest thermostat keeps altering the temperature on its own, deactivate the “Auto-Schedule” or “Quick Schedule” within the Nest or Google Home app.
Let’s learn how all of this is done!
Why Does My Nest Keep Changing the Temperature?
All Nest thermostats are designed to automatically adjust the set cooling/heating temperature by default, according to your preferences and daily routine.
The different Nest thermostats provide different scheduling options for setting up a schedule that meets your needs and requirements.
Here’s why the Nest thermostat changes temperature automatically:
Those are the possible causes for the temperature alterations your Nest thermostat is going through.
Hence, remain invested throughout the guide to uncover the most efficient solutions!
Nest Thermostat Changes Temperature On Its Own – [Fixed]
Tip: Follow the steps in chronological order!
1. Deactivate “Auto-Schedule” On Nest
All Nest thermostat models can learn your daily routine and create an auto-schedule to meet your heating/cooling needs.
If you prefer the Nest thermostat to follow a fixed schedule, turn off the “Auto-Schedule” feature in the Nest thermostat’s mobile application or the system settings.
Note: Remember that the Nest app is only compatible with Nest Learning and Nest E!
How to Turn Off Auto-Schedule (For Nest E & Nest Learning)
- Open the Nest app on your mobile device.
- Next, select your Learning or E thermostat.
- Choose “Settings” and tap “Auto-Schedule.”
- Tap the activation button to turn off the setting.
- Save the changes and exit the Nest app menu.
How to Turn Off Basic Schedule (For Nest Thermostat E Only)
- On your thermostat, press the “Settings” icon.
- Choose “Nest Sense” and scroll down the list.
- Highlight “Auto-Schedule” and press “Select.”
- Set the feature to “OFF” and save the changes.
- Check if the temperature will adjust automatically.
How to Turn Off Quick Schedule (For Google Nest Thermostat Only)
- Open the Google Home app on your mobile device.
- Press on “Favorites” or “Devices” from the functions.
- Select your Google Nest thermostat from the menu.
- Next, go to “Settings” > “Temperature Preferences.”
- Select “Auto-Schedule” and set the option to “OFF.”
Remember that deactivating the auto-schedule function of your Nest thermostat will not uninstall the schedule but will prevent further automatic adjustments from being made.
So, whenever you wish to adjust the temperature, you must do it manually through the thermostat or the Nest app.
Note: The system’s current temperature will remain static until manually configured!
2. Turn Off Active Home/Away Routines
Except for the auto-schedule, the Nest thermostat can adjust the temperature automatically with “Home and Away” or “Home/Away Assist” routines.
So, if you wish the temperature to remain fixed while you’re not at home, the temperature assistant features must be disabled.
Info: The settings are only available within the Nest mobile application!
Here’s how to deactivate all active home-away routines:
- First, open the Nest app on your mobile device.
- Tap “Settings” and go to “Home/Away Assist.”
- Tap the Nest thermostat you wish to configure.
- Select the option to decide if you’re home or not.
- Select the Nest product again from the options.
- Switch “Home/Away Assist” to the “OFF” state.
After deactivating this feature, your Nest thermostat will not know whether you are home, so the temperature will not be adjusted automatically.
Don’t forget to manually set the cooling/heating temperature of your HVAC system before leaving your house or going away on a vacation.
Tip: It is recommended to deactivate the HVAC system when you’re not home!
3. Clear the Existing Nest Schedule
Clearing the schedule that already exists for the Nest thermostat is a proven solution to any issues with automatic programming.
There’s a chance the thermostat didn’t recognize the changes you’ve made to the schedule earlier and is still functioning in an automatic regime.
How to Clear Schedule Within the Nest App?
- Open the Nest app on your mobile Android/iOS device.
- From the main screen, navigate to the “Settings” page.
- Next, select “Reset” from the available on-screen options.
- Highlight the schedule you wish to remove from the app.
- Select “Reset” to erase the selected scheduling profile.
How to Clear Schedule Within the Google Home App?
- Open the Google Home app on your Android/iOS device.
- Select “Automations” and press “Household Routines.”
- Choose “Home” from the “Automations” tab within the app.
- Select the schedule you wish to erase from Google Home.
- Tap “Remove action” and press the “Save Changes” button.
How to Clear Schedule In the Thermostat’s Settings?
- On the Nest Learning thermostat, go to “Settings” > “Reset” > “Schedule.”
- On Nest thermostat model “E,” go to “Quick View” > “Reset” > “Schedule.”
- On the standard Nest thermostat, go to “Quick View” > “Reset” > “Schedule.”
To edit existing schedules or create new ones, open the Google Home app or the Nest app and navigate to “Temperature Preferences” or “Schedule.”
From there, select “New Schedule” and follow the on-screen instructions to set up a new automatic or manual schedule.
Reminder: The new temperature schedule will have “Auto-Schedule” enabled by default!
4. Power Circulate the Nest Thermostat
If Nest keeps changing temperature, there is another proven solution you should attempt!
Performing a power cycle on the Nest thermostat’s hardware is a proven method to address non-lasting issues with the system or the device’s components.
This can also remedy issues with the power supply and the internal Nest batteries in case of any electrical complications.
Follow these steps to perform a power cycle on a standard Nest thermostat model:
- Take off the frontal plate of the Nest thermostat unit.
- After that, locate the battery latch on the side panel.
- Remove the two triple-A batteries from the sockets.
- Wait for 30 seconds while the batteries are removed.
- Reseat the batteries back into the Nest compartment.
- Determine if the thermostat is adjusting automatically.
Info: Only the Google Nest thermostat uses replaceable batteries that can be removed!
Bonus Tip: Insert New Batteries!
If the Nest thermostat still fails to function, insert a fresh set of triple-A batteries into the battery compartment to resolve any issues with the functionality.
Reliable battery units can typically last up to 6 months, but a recent power outage might have caused them to malfunction or go low.
Tip: Secure your system’s electrical functionality by installing a power surge protector!
5. Reinstall the Thermostat’s Application
Perhaps there could be a discrepancy with the thermostat’s app or missing files, causing issues with the auto-scheduling and the temperature adjustment.
To address schedule-related issues, it is strongly advised to uninstall the Nest thermostat app and re-download the mobile software.
Note: Your Nest thermostat can use the Nest or Google Home mobile application!
How to Reinstall the Google Home App On Mobile?
- Open the “Settings” app on your iOS/Android device.
- Locate the Nest in the app menu or go to “Storage.”
- Next, highlight the application and choose “Uninstall”.
- Open the Google Play Store or the iOS App Store.
- Find the Google Home app using the magnifying lens.
- Select and download the Google Home app freshly.
How to Reinstall the Nest App On Mobile?
- First, locate the Nest app within the device’s settings.
- Navigate to the app’s settings and choose “Uninstall.”
- After removing the Nest app, open the content store.
- Use the search field to discover the Nest application.
- Download the Nest app by selecting the download icon.
- Finally, open the Nest app and sign in to a user account.
Remember to always upload the latest firmware version available for the Nest and Google Home apps, as this patches the most recent bugs and improves the functionality.
If you haven’t updated the platform’s version in a while, you may also be restricted from the newest features!
Tip: You can activate “Automatic Updates” for all installed applications!
6. Restore the Thermostat to Factory Defaults
If the thermostat is still adjusting the temperature automatically, conducting a factory reset should revert all schedule settings to default.
However, “Auto-Schedule” learning on Nest is activated by default, so applying a factory reset will re-activate the feature.
Warning: All settings and schedule data will be erased from the Nest thermostat!
Here’s how to perform a factory reset on the Nest thermostat:
- Press the ring on the Nest thermostat and enter “Quick View.”
- Select “Settings” and then navigate to “Reset” > “All Settings”.
- Confirm the verification prompt and start the Nest factory reset.
- Choose “Reset” and turn the thermostat’s ring again to begin.
Note: Do not interact with the Nest thermostat once the factory reset starts!
To solve whenever the Nest thermostat changes temperature on its own, deactivate the “Auto-Schedule” feature for your model and reinsert the batteries.
If the complication persists, reinstall the application used for configuring Nest and perform a factory reset.
Follow us for more!
Kevin has over five years of experience working in various Tech startups and providing Technical solutions. He has contributed to many Tech publications and websites.