Most of the people who use Kindle readers ask what to do when the kindle frozen reset not working. The problem of Kindle freezing and not responding to reset seems to be so common.
At the same time, there seem to be a few people who know what to do in this case. Sometimes, even Amazon representatives may fail to help. However, we have the answers for you.
To fix Kindle frozen and won’t reset, you must perform a hard reset.
This is where you use the Reset button and not the Power button. This involves removing the back cover of your kindle and locating the small reset button. This button can only be pressed using a pin.
There are some situations that do not call for a hard reset. You may simply solve the situation by a soft reset or by adjusting power options.
Read further to find all solutions.
Causes of Frozen Kindle Device
The number one cause of the Kindle frozen and won’t reset error is the number of hours you spend using the device.
Like any other electronic device, the kindle reader could develop memory loss and freeze. If this happens, you must find a way to restart your device.
Apart from memory losses, the kindle device could malfunction due to the following:
- An old battery that can not hold sufficient power to run the device.
- Outdated software that needs to be updated
- A device bug or technical glitch
- Hardware problems for very old devices
While there are many causes of the problem, solutions to the problem are hard to come around.
The main reason why it is a technical subject is that the device is already in frozen mode. You cannot operate it when it is frozen.
However, there are a few solutions that can be applied.
Solutions to Kindle Frozen Reset Not Working Error
The main solution to this problem is to reset. If the device has a removable battery, resolving would have been much easier.
With a permanent battery, resetting the device must rely on provided buttons. We will work with power and reset buttons to get your device working again.
Note: The type of solution we apply is suitable for a specific type of freezing.
Some of these solutions may work for your case while others may fail.
Solution #1 Slide and Hold Power Button
The first case is where your kindle gets stuck on the homepage. With this error, you may see a message on your screen saying “Slide and Release the power to wake”
If you see such a message or something similar, your kindle does not need complicated steps. For this error, you can simply follow the instructions to wake your device.
Unfortunately, most times people are in a hurry. If you slide and release the power button instantly, you may not get results.
How to use the power button slide to unfreeze kindle
- Slide the Power Switch and hold it
- Wait until the Power Light blinks
- Release the Power button and wait for a few seconds
- After about 10 seconds, repeat the same process again
- Your kindle will enter Reboot Mode
- Let it reboot and the error should be cleared
Note: You have to do the procedure twice to get the desired results.
If you do it only once your device will not start.
Solution #2: Plug Into Power Source
The second situation is where your kindle gets stuck on the start page while you are actively reading. This often happens due to power issues.
If you try starting your kindle and it won’t start completely, chances are that you have run out of power.
This problem can be solved by restarting your kindle reader while plugging into a power source. If you try restarting it without connecting to the power source it will not work.
How to restart a device with power problems
- Plug your kindle into the Power Source
- Press and hold the Power button for about 10 seconds
- Let the device Reboot and try operating it
- If the battery is too low the device may freeze again
- Give it a few minutes to charge then try the steps above again
Note: If the device still freezes even after charging for about 10 minutes, chances are that the battery is damaged.
In this case, you will have to either get a new device or repair the one you are using.
Solution #3 Reboot Kindle that Keeps Freezing
This solution applies to kindle books that keep on freezing and unfreezing. This usually happens due to bugs or technical glitches.
Your device may work well for a minute and then freeze. Such a device gives you a chance to restart things and clear the error.
If rebooting the device does not help, you might have to either apply a hard reset or a soft reset.
How to reboot a kindle that freezes regularly
- When the device unfreezes, tap on the Home button
- Tap on Menu and select Settings
- Press the Menu button again
- Under the options provided Select Restart
- Give your device 1 to 2 minutes to complete the reboot process and proceed using
If your device still continues to freeze and unfreeze after a reboot, you should perform a soft or hard reset.
Check the steps below for complete resetting of your Amazon kindle.
Solution #4 Soft Reset Your Kindle
The soft reset option comes to play when your device is completely unresponsive.
This is where you try pressing all the buttons including the power button but no response.
If this is the case, you can perform a soft reset. This simply means restarting your device from the power button.
How to soft reset the kindle reader
- Press and hold the Power button until the dialogue box appears
- When you see a dialogue box or your screen turns blank, keep holding the Power button for about 40 seconds
- Release the Power button and let your device complete a reboot process
- Wait until the charge indicator light turns on and try using the device
If the device still suffers from freezing after this, you only have the option of hard resetting.
Note: Sometimes you may have to hold the power button for a very long time until a blank screen appears.
If it does not happen on the first try, give it a second and third try. You might also try again with your device plugged into a source of power.
Solution #5 Hard Reset Your Device
If all the above options fail, you might have to reset your kindle. This is not an option you should take unless completely necessary.
Hard reset will wipe out all your data including passwords and settings. Only opt for this option if you are absolutely sure that you have no other way out.
When most people say reset won’t work, they simply mean resetting the device using the power button.
While the power button may fail, the hard reset button cannot fail. It will surely reset the device unless it has a hardware problem that needs to be repaired.
How to hard reset a frozen kindle device
- Disconnect your kindle device from any connected power source and turn it on.
- Flip your kindle to the back and firmly place the tip of your fingers on the back cover of your device.
- Push with your fingers to slide the cover to the right until it comes out.
- On the back of your kindle locate a small Reset button
- Using a paper clip, needle, or any other sharp object, press and hold the Reset button
- Wait until your Kindle Book powers down and the screen flashes several times.
- The device will then reboot and you will be able to access it for use
Note: These steps restore the factory settings for your kindle device.
You will have to start setting up your kindle resources from scratch.
That solves the problem of the kindle frozen reset not working.
Even if your kindle is frozen and the power button won’t respond, there is something you can do about it.
You must locate the actual hard reset button to restore factory settings. If this fails, your only option is to get a replacement.
Finn Wheatley holds a Master’s Degree in Computer Science from UCL, London. He helped small data science consultancy firms, helping large corporations to grow their data capabilities, deploy advanced machine learning-based analytics and troubleshoot tech-related issues.