Want to know how to watch Xfinity on Roku away from home? We’ll show you how to make it work.
You can watch Xfinity content on your Roku. However, certain limitations can prevent you from doing this, especially if you’re not connected to your Xfinity WiFi.
To watch Xfinity on Roku when you’re not at home, you need to authorize your Roku. You’ll then need to access your Xfinity Stream account on your phone and cast it to your Roku.
Let’s get to it!
Watching Xfinity on any device, including your Roku, can be challenging if you’re not at home. The good news is that there are multiple ways how you can bypass the restrictions.
Can I stream Xfinity on Roku away from home? Your Xfinity service comes with a streaming app that allows you to watch live TV and on-demand content from your subscription.
However, some limitations can prevent you from watching when you’re not at home.
Let’s find out what these restrictions are:
- The app only works on devices connected to your Xfinity home WiFi network.
- If you’re able to watch when you’re away from home, the library is limited.
- The app does not support offline viewing or content downloads.
Note: These restrictions are present to protect the rights of the content providers to avoid unauthorized access.
To watch Xfinity content on your Roku, you will need to install the app on your device. You will be able to watch some shows and content, but there will still be some limitations.
Here’s how to get the Xfinity Stream app on Roku’s Channel Store:
- Press the Home button on your Roku remote.
- Go to the Main Menu.
- Scroll down and choose Streaming Channels.
- Select Search Channels.
- Type in Xfinity Stream.
- Select Add Channel, then confirm.
Note: Wait for the download and install to complete, and check if there are limits to what you can watch on your Roku.
To access the Xfinity Stream app on your Roku, you will need to authorize it with your account.
Doing this will link your account to your device, allowing you to launch the app and watch content even when you’re away from home.
To authorize your Roku, follow these steps:
- Ensure that your Roku is connected to the same WiFi as your phone or computer.
- Open the Xfinity Stream app on your Roku.
- Wait for the six-digit code to appear on the welcome screen.
- On a phone or computer, go to xfinity.com/authorize.
- Enter the code in the input box.
- Log in with your Xfinity ID and password.
- Accept the terms and conditions.
- Wait for the confirmation message to appear.
Tip: The authorization code expires after 10 minutes, so you need to enter it within that timeframe.
If you’re having issues with the Xfinity Stream app, a workaround that you can do is to access Xfinity Stream via a browser. Now, this step won’t require any app authorizations but does not work for all.
Here’s how you do it:
- Open a third-party web browser on your Roku.
- On the browser, go to xfinity.com/stream.
- Sign in using your Xfinity ID and password.
- Browse for the content you want to watch.
- Select it and start watching.
Pro Tip: Some web browsers you can download on your Roku include Web Browser X, POPRISM Web Browser, and TV Web Browser.
Even if you’re away, an alternate method is to cast from your phone to your Roku. You’re essentially mirroring your phone as a media player to your Roku. This way, you’re still able to watch content on the big screen.
To cast Xfinity Stream from your phone to Roku, follow these steps:
- Launch the Xfinity Stream app on your phone.
- Log in with your Xfinity ID and password if it asks you to.
- Search for the content you want to watch.
- Select on it and start watching it.
- Tap on the Cast icon on the top-right corner of the screen.
- Choose your Roku from the list of devices.
Note: You want to ensure that your phone has the latest version of the Xfinity Stream app.
If you’re abroad and brought your Roku, you can still watch content from the Xfinity Stream app.
You will need to use a VPN service to bypass the geo-blocks, but it’s an effective way to watch Xfinity on your Roku when you’re not at home.
- Open the VPN app of your choice on your phone or computer.
- Connect to a server in the US.
- Launch the Xfinity Stream app.
- Search for the content you want to watch.
- Open it to start watching it.
- Cast or mirror it to your Roku.
Tip: You can check out our recommended VPN service towards the end of the article.
A Slingbox is a device you connect to your Xfinity box and stream it to the internet. You can then access this stream wherever you are so you can watch content from your Xfinity subscription.
To watch Xfinity on your Roku via Slingbox, follow these steps:
- Get a Slingbox device such as the Slingbox M2 or Slingbox 500.
- Set up the Slingbox and connect it to the Xfinity box in your home.
- Download the Slingplayer app on your phone.
- Whenever you’re away from home, launch the Slingplayer app.
- Connect to your Slingbox device in your home.
- You now have access to the Xfinity box in your home.
- Search for the content you want to watch and play it on your phone.
- Cast or mirror your phone to your Roku.
Tip: If you have a Slingbox at home, you need a fast and reliable connection at home, especially in terms of upload speeds.
Since your access to your Xfinity content library is limited when you’re away from home, a method you can use is to access a computer in your home remotely.
You leave a computer turned on at home, and you can connect to it whenever you’re away.
- Before you leave, enable the remote desktop app on your computer.
- On your phone, launch the remote desktop app.
- Sign in with your account credentials.
- Find the computer you want to connect to.
- Once connected, open the Xfinity Stream website on a browser.
- Sign in with your Xfinity ID and password.
- Choose the content you want to watch.
- Once it starts playing, cast or mirror it to your Roku.
Some remote desktop apps you can install on your computer include TeamViewer, Chrome Remote Desktop, or Microsoft Remote Desktop.
Note: Before leaving, you want to ensure that your computer has remote desktop enabled, allowing you to access it with your phone.
A method that doesn’t necessarily require a Roku device but allows you to watch Xfinity content while you’re not at home is with Xfinity Flex.
Instead of a Roku, you’re going to use Xfinity Flex, which is Xfinity’s streaming device.
- Set up your Xfinity Flex and activate it before you leave.
- Whenever you’re not at home, connect your Xfinity Flex to a TV.
- Turn it on and connect it to a WiFi network.
- Sign in to your Xfinity ID and password.
- Choose the content you want to watch and start playing it.
Note: Xfinity Flex is free if you’re an Xfinity internet customer, you only need to check your eligibility if you can get one.
Before you go about using any of the methods above, it’s important that you fully understand the different factors that can affect your experience.
- Bypassing restrictions using a VPN or Slingbox.
- Use reputable and trustworthy services to protect your data
- Streaming video from Xfinity on Roku away from home must be done responsibly.
- Limit your data usage and performance so you don’t affect others.
- Use these methods for non-commercial purposes.
If you have any questions, it’s best to contact Xfinity Support to know the safest methods to watch their content on Roku when you’re away from home.
Read Next: How to Fix Xfinity XRE-10000 Error Easily?
How to watch Xfinity on Roku away from home? There are many ways to do it, and the most effective one is to authorize your Roku from your Xfinity account.
A reputable VPN like AtlasVPN will be the best option to watch whenever you’re not home.
Kevin has over five years of experience working in various Tech startups and providing Technical solutions. He has contributed to many Tech publications and websites.