Wondering how to update firmware on Arris router? Stay with us, because we’re about to review the complete guide in detailed steps for updating the firmware on an Arris router!
In order to upload the latest firmware on your Arris router, you must sign into the device’s web GUI and check the current firmware.
After that, download the latest firmware package on your PC/laptop and upload it from the router’s control panel.
Let’s review the benefits of updating an Arris router first!
Why Should I Update Arris Router?
It is mandatory for a lot of people that their WiFi connection and network in general never shut off or go through outages.
To ensure that your Arris router is working fine and eliminate the possibility of compatibility issues down the road, it’s highly recommended to update asap!
Here are some reasons why you should update your Arris router:
- All Bugs Will Be Fixed
Keeping your Arris router updated to the latest firmware version always guarantees the best compatibility and consistency of your internet.
Any existing flaws, faults, or errors in the router’s program will be fixed after updating your router’s firmware!
- Access to New Features
With newer router firmware versions, you will gain access to new functionality features, specific to the new firmware of your router.
Thus, not updating your router for too long will make your device fall behind on important features.
- Increased Security
Updating the firmware also keeps your router’s system secure. New security technologies will be added to your routers, protecting the system and your network from malicious intent.
- Optimized Performance
Needless to say, updating your firmware also provides better performance in both the software and hardware section of the router.
You may reach faster internet speeds, fewer outages, and avoid hardware problems with your Arris router!
Info: You can read more about the firmware of your Arris router in the user manual!
How to Update Firmware on Arris Router?
Notice: You must use a computer or a laptop to update the firmware of your Arris router.
1. Sign In to your Arris Router!
In order to manage any of the settings your Arris router has, you must first sign in to the admin menu.
The admin menu (GUI) of the router, allows for optimized and advanced configuration of the internal software settings, including the firmware of the device!
- To sign in to your Arris router, you must be in possession of the login credentials
Default Arris Router Login Credentials:
- Username – “admin”
- Password – “password”
Note: If you’ve altered the default credentials in the past, you must use the new values of the username and password to sign in to your router!
How to Sign In Your Arris Router:
- Launch a browser window or a tab.
- Insert “192.168.0.1” in the search field (the default gateway).
- Press “Enter” and wait to be redirected to the router’s login page.
- Insert the router credentials in the login page (username and password).
- Press “Sign In” to access the GUI of your Arris router.
Info: Your device does not have to be connected via Ethernet to the router while signing in.
Just make sure you’re on the router’s WiFi network before attempting to log in.
2. Download the Latest Firmware
Once we’re signed in to your router’s interface, it’s time to download the latest Arris router firmware.
The updated files are available on the Arris support page and downloading them requires an active internet connection.
Note: To ensure that you’re downloading the latest firmware, check what software is your Arris router running currently!
How to Check Current Firmware:
- Make sure that your Arris router is on.
- From the home page of the GUI, go to “System Information”.
- Scroll down and check the version of the firmware.
Notice: Type down the current firmware of the Arris router to compare it when you’re downloading the new firmware!
How to Download the Newest Arris Firmware:
- Go to arris.com/support and scroll down.
- Press “Software and Firmware” below.
- Once prompted, log in with your Arris account.
- Browse the firmware list and download the firmware.
- Create a folder on the desktop of your computer.
- Name the folder “Arris Update” for easier recognition.
- Download and save the latest firmware in the folder.
- You would be left with a file inside of the folder.
Note: Judging by the date, downloading the latest Arris firmware posted by the developers!
3. Upload the New Firmware
Now that we have the newest Arris firmware installed on your PC or laptop, it’s time to upload the firmware to the router.
Assuming you’re still keeping the GUI of the router opened, to upload the firmware we must access a specific tab in the Arris configuration tab.
Follow these steps to upload the firmware of the router:
- Go to the Setup page in the GUI of your Arris router.
- Press on the “Status” button, on the left.
- Choose “Browse” and start going through your PC/laptop.
- Navigate to the “Arris Update” folder that we’ve created.
- Note: Ensure that there are no other files in the folder.
- Select the firmware update file from the folder.
Info: When you click on the “Browse” button, a version of your system folder will open, allowing you to navigate through the folders.
You must go directly to the folder where you’ve downloaded the firmware, in order to upload.
4. Wait For Firmware Installation!
Once the firmware is uploaded, the installation will start automatically.
It is mandatory not to shut down or reboot your router while the installation is still going or it will be canceled and the software of your router may get corrupted!
- How Long Does Arris Firmware Update Last?
We can’t tell for sure how long your router will update, as it is based on internet/performance speed and the size of the update file.
However, most users reported that the firmware update can take up to 10 minutes to be uploaded and installed.
- How to Check If the Firmware is Installed?
You will be able to check when the firmware has finished installing in the firmware version section of your Arris router’s GUI.
The system info on the firmware should be updated, if your router has finalized uploading the update from your PC/laptop.
5. Reboot your Router
To finalize the update, we must reboot your Arris router.
Some Arris models may restart automatically or by themselves once the updates are finished, but for other routers, you must do it manually.
Alert: Only restart your Arris router once the firmware info in the GUI has been updated.
How to Reboot Arris Router:
- Unplug the power cord of the Arris router.
- Wait for 30-60 seconds while the router is off.
- Reconnect the power cable and turn on the router.
That was how to update firmware on router Arris, in easy steps, and let’s next discuss some possible failures during the update and how to address them.
Arris Router Failed to Update?
It is not uncommon when your Arris router fails to initialize the update from the first try.
We’ll review a handful of solutions to attempt in case the update failed to go through the first time.
- Re-upload the update to your Arris router
- Download the firmware again and upload it
- Hard reset your Arris router (power unplug)
- Reboot your PC or laptop (Shutdown, not restart)
- Use a different browser to access the Arris GUI
- Double-check if your device is connected to the router
Alert: Make sure you’re downloading the update file in the correct format on your PC/laptop.
Otherwise, your Arris router will be unable to read the software file and fail to update!
Arris Still Won’t Update?
If your router won’t update regardless, then it’s best to contact Arris Customer Support.
You’ll either have to either live chat with a representative by pressing the “Live Chat” button or call an agent by copying the contact info from the “Call “page.
Note: Live chat with Arris is available Monday - Sunday 6:00 AM - 11:00 PM MDT!
Now that we know how to update firmware on Arris router, we’ve learned that the only way is to access the router’s GUI first and download the latest update file.
After that, upload the firmware file through the router’s GUI to start the automatic installation.
Kevin has over five years of experience working in various Tech startups and providing Technical solutions. He has contributed to many Tech publications and websites.