If you want to stop a routine that your smart home devices carry out automatically, you need to know how to cancel an Alexa routine.
It’s important to evaluate whether or not you still need these routines or if they’re working properly. You also need to explore other routines that may be more efficient.
Here’s how you do it!
To disable Alexa routine, navigate to the “Routines tab” on your Alexa app and open the routine you wish to cancel. Tap the toggle at the top of the screen to switch to disable.
Before we meticulously discuss the steps of canceling a routine, there are a few things you need to understand about Alexa routines.
What About Alexa Routines and Canceling Them
Alexa routines provide support and are subject to change at your discretion. There can be several reasons why you want to cancel them.
But before you do, consider the following.
- Check if you still need the routine
- Make sure the routine is still relevant
- The routine is working as intended
- Alternative routines that are more efficient
- You might still need the routine in the future
If you’re sure you want to cancel your Alexa routines, proceed to the section below. We’ll discuss the steps extensively to make sure you do it correctly.
Easy Steps on How to Cancel an Alexa Routine
Many people think that canceling an Alexa routine is difficult. But we’ll provide you with a step-by-step guide on how to cancel an Alexa routine.
Before you jump into the solutions, it’s best to try some basic troubleshooting first:
- Make sure your device is connected to the Internet
- Check if it is muted
- Restart your device
- Update your device’s software
- Reset it to factory settings
1. Open the Alexa App on Your Device
If you have an Alexa routine that you wish to cancel, one of the first things you need to do is go to the Alexa app on your device.
It’s the place to start so you can check on the routine and ultimately change or even cancel, depending on if you still find it useful.
The good thing about working with Alexa is that it’s available on both the iOS and Android platforms. It doesn’t matter what device you use, as you will be able to check your routines.
Here’s how to access the Alexa app on your device:
- If you don’t have the app, download it from the app store.
- Find it in your app drawer and tap on it to open it.
- Log in to the Alexa app using your Amazon account.
- Proceed to the app’s Home Screen to start the process.
Note: As you decide to cancel the Alexa routine, you need to think if you still need it or want to replace it entirely.
2. Navigate to the Routines Tab
Now that you can access the Alexa app on your device, you will be presented with multiple tabs.
Of course, each one of these has its purpose, but we’re specifically looking at the Routines tab.
All the routines you have set up that help manage your smart home system easier are found here. You will be able to manage or modify your existing routines to make them more efficient.
Here’s how to go to Alexa’s Routines tab on the app:
- On the Alexa app’s Home Screen, check the tabs at the bottom of the screen.
- Tap on the More tab found at the bottom right.
- Select the Routines option.
- Wait for the Routines page to appear on your screen.
Note: Your routines will be listed here so you can check them out and decide which ones to modify or cancel.
3. Choose the Routine You Want to Cancel
Once you’re on the app’s Routines page, you will be able to see all of them here.
They will be displayed as individual tiles where you can see the details, such as the triggers and actions for the routine.
You can scroll through all the routines you have set up to find the one you want to cancel.
Here’s how to select the routine you want to cancel:
- Tap on the Search icon at the top of the screen.
- Type your routine’s name or keyword to find it.
- After identifying your routine, tap on it to open it.
- Check the settings for the routine you want to cancel.
4. Edit Alexa Routines
Before you go ahead and cancel the routines you have set up so hard, consider checking them out and editing them.
Editing them gives you a chance to make changes to the routines before permanently removing them from the system.
If you can improve it, it’s worth trying to modify it rather than removing it and creating a new one from scratch.
Look at the triggers and actions closely and determine if you can still edit to make them better.
Here’s how to edit routines on Alexa:
- On the Routines tab, select the routine you want to modify.
- Tap on the trigger section and choose how to start the routine.
- Move to the actions section and add or remove them.
- Adjust the time settings to set the timing of your actions.
- Select the Add Condition button to set these up.
Note: After making changes to the routine, you can tap on Save to apply them.
5. How to Delete Routines on Alexa
Canceling your routine is a permanent affair. Once you delete it, you won’t be able to retrieve it unless you create a new one from scratch.
That’s why it’s important that you take a hard look at the routine and really consider why you want to cancel it.
We highly recommend that you only delete a certain routine if you have no more use for it.
If you won’t need it in the future, you can cancel and delete it to clear up your smart home system.
Here’s how to delete routines on the Alexa app:
- On the Routines tab, choose the routine you want to delete.
- Tap on it to open the routine settings.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the screen.
- Tap on the Delete Routines option.
- Confirm the removal of the routine.
Note: Once a routine is removed, you won't be able to recover it. All triggers, actions, and conditions will be deleted.
6. Verify That The Routine is Canceled
The process doesn’t end after you cancel the routine. Since your routines are part of a much larger smart home ecosystem, you want to confirm that it’s truly deleted.
There are instances when the routines seem to come back even after removing them.
If this is the case, your routine was not completely removed, so you need to verify that it won’t respond to any triggers you have previously set.
Here are the steps to confirm that your routine is canceled:
- Open the Routines tab on your Alexa app.
- Find the canceled routine from the list.
- Confirm that the routine card says Disabled.
- Test the routine by performing its triggers.
- Make sure that it’s not responding to the triggers.
Note: If the routine continues to run even though it's set to cancel, check for conflicts or issues with the app or devices.
By following these steps, you can successfully cancel Alexa routines that are irrelevant to your smart home setup.
If you run into issues as you cancel your routines, please contact Amazon customer support for assistance.
Now that you know the exact steps on how to cancel an Alexa routine, you should be able to clean up your setup and organize your commands and devices.
Canceling your routines is quick and easy and should not take you more than 15 minutes.
Read Next: Can Alexa Play Songs From Youtube?
Finn Wheatley holds a Master’s Degree in Computer Science from UCL, London. He helped small data science consultancy firms, helping large corporations to grow their data capabilities, deploy advanced machine learning-based analytics and troubleshoot tech-related issues.