Knowing how to activate CenturyLink modem without a computer can save you a ton of money.
While most devices need to be activated via a computer, not a lot support activation through a mobile app. Fortunately, CenturyLink offers this convenience.
Follow these steps.
To activate your CenturyLink modem without computer access, you only need to download the app on your phone. After setting up your modem, simply scan your modem’s barcode on the app and wait for it to activate.
Let us review the important steps for setting up your CenturyLink modem without a computer.
Can you Activate Your CenturyLink Modem Without a Computer
The first thing you should do to set up your CenturyLink modem is to order the service.
Once you receive the device, it’s time to start the setup. Take note that this isn’t always guaranteed to work. Make sure you follow the steps to increase your chances.
Here’s what you need to do before you proceed with the process:
- Get the latest CenturyLink app on your phone
- Follow the instructions carefully
- Use the app to activate your CenturyLink modem
- Set up your WiFi using the app
There are no additional steps to complete the CenturyLink modem setup. If you feel you can’t do it by yourself, you can always ask the help of a professional. But if you’re up for it, proceed to the steps below.
Complete Guide on How to Activate Centurylink Modem Without a Computer
Owning a modem is an excellent way to get the most out of your Internet connection.
If you know how to set up CenturyLink modem without a computer, you can have the best connection possible.
Installing the modem is a simple process. You can do it at home in just a few minutes. Follow the step-by-step guide to get your CenturyLink modem up quickly.
1. Unbox Your CenturyLink Modem
Before you start setting up your CenturyLink modem, you need to place an order for the product.
While waiting, you can check the status on your email, MyCenturyLink account, or the Service Appointment tools.
Next, check your email for confirmation and save it for later. If you ordered a modem, you should receive a separate confirmation.
The email will include details such as:
- Your order number
- Service activation date
- Installation date, if relevant
- A link to track your order status
- Your estimated charges
Note: CenturyLink has two types of modems, so don’t worry if what you receive looks different. The setup process is still the same.
2. Get the CenturyLink App on Your Phone
If you want to activate CenturyLink modem without a computer, you’ll need a way to do it.
The best way to do this is to use the CenturyLink companion app. It will have everything you need, including the tools to activate your newly bought modem.
Activating your modem means that you’re allowing the system to verify the hardware with your account.
Once CenturyLink can confirm that, they will start your service and have internet for your home.
Here’s how to get the app on your mobile phone:
- On your smartphone or tablet, launch the app store.
- Look for the search section and type in My CenturyLink.
- Tap on the app in the search results.
- Select Install to download it to your device.
Note: You can get the My CenturyLink app on iOS and Android platforms.
3. Plug In Your Modem’s Power Cord
Now that you have everything ready, we can start setting up your modem and activating it.
To do that, we’re going to need to power it up. All the accessories you need for your CenturyLink modem to work are included in the box.
So you don’t have to worry about where to source cables and wires.
Here’s how to power up your modem:
- Get your modem’s power cord from the box.
- Take the AC adapter and plug it into a wall outlet.
- Take the other end and plug it into the Power port of your modem.
- Wait for the Power light to illuminate.
Tip: Before you proceed to the next step, wait for the light to turn solid green.
4. Plug the Green Network Cable to Your Modem
It’s time to get all your network cables sorted so your modem can connect to CenturyLink’s internet.
It’s important to verify that your modem is powered up so you can instantly tell if it can connect to the internet.
You’ll know within a couple of minutes if everything is working perfectly or if you need to troubleshoot the connections.
If there’s a problem with the modem, like a defect, you can have it replaced immediately.
Here’s how to set up your modem’s network connections:
- Get the green phone cable from the box.
- Plug one end of the green cord into the green port of your modem.
- With the other end, plug it into your phone jack.
- Once plugged in, check the indicator lights if they start to flash.
- Wait for the Internet light to turn green.
Note: The connection process can take between 2 to 5 minutes, depending on the network.
5. : Activate Your Modem Using the App
With everything plugged in and ready to go, it’s time to activate your modem. For most modems, this step will usually entail you logging in to the dashboard on a computer.
It’s also possible to do this on your phone, but the interface isn’t optimized and can get clunky.
However, in the case of your CenturyLink modem, it comes with a companion app that will make your life a lot easier.
The app will have all the functions you need, including activating your device.
Here are the steps on how to activate your CenturyLink modem:
- Locate your modem’s serial number barcode.
- Open the CenturyLink app on your phone.
- Go to the barcode scanner feature.
- Align the red line on the scanner to your modem’s barcode.
- Wait for the app to recognize your modem and activate it.
Note: Make sure to connect your phone to the internet before attempting to activate it.
6. Set Up Your WiFi
Now that you’re done activating your CenturyLink modem, it’s no time to turn it on and set up your WiFi.
Since you used the CenturyLink mobile app to activate your modem, the good news is that you can do all this on the same app.
You won’t even need access to a computer to set up your WiFi and change your network name and password.
With access to your network settings on the app, you can easily change it without having to do it on a computer.
Here are the steps on how to set up the WiFi on your CenturyLink modem:
- On the CenturyLink app, tap on Personalize WiFi.
- Type your desired Network Name.
- Enter the password you want for your WiFi network.
- Tap the Save button.
Note: You can also use the app to pay your bills and configure your network if you want to change its other settings.
It’s possible to set up and activate your CenturyLink modem even if you don’t have access to a computer. If you run into issues activating your modem, contact CenturyLink customer support for assistance.
If you want to know how to activate CenturyLink modem without a computer, the app has you covered.
Everything you need is on the app, so you don’t have to worry about using a computer or laptop to change your network configurations.
Read Next: Can I Use My Own Router with CenturyLink?
Finn Wheatley holds a Master’s Degree in Computer Science from UCL, London. He helped small data science consultancy firms, helping large corporations to grow their data capabilities, deploy advanced machine learning-based analytics and troubleshoot tech-related issues.