HBO Max can work on many devices including PCs. Even so, HBO Max not working on Chrome is a common error that can be disturbing.
Many HBO Max users have complained over the application suddenly refusing to work. For some, the video won’t play while for others, the video could play and stop at some point.
If you are in such a situation, we have the perfect solution for you.
To solve HBO Max not working on Chrome, you have to update your Google Chrome browser. If the update does not work, clear cookies and cache to get the service working again.
The other steps you can take include uninstalling the application and installing it again.
To find out the main problem affecting your Chrome browser such that HBO won’t stream, keep on reading.
Reasons Why HBO Max Won’t Work on Chrome
To find a solution to the problem, you must first ask why won’t HBO Max work on Chrome.
Understanding why the problem is occurring is the only way to solve the problem.
Here are the top reasons why Chrome may refuse to stream HBO Max.
- Cookies and cache are blocking content.
- HBO Max won’t show on Chrome if you are using a program to mask your IP address.
- HBO won’t work if the browser is outdated
- The HBO Max site is blocked by an extension.
Solutions to HBO Max Not Working on Chrome
We know how frustrating this situation can be, especially if you only watch on PC.
There are several solutions that can get the situation back to normal.
To fix HBO Max not working on Google Chrome, you will have to follow these solutions step by step.
Solution #1 Update Chrome Browser
Before you look further for a solution, start by checking the browser update status.
An outdated Chrome browser may lack the necessary features to stream your video.
Remember that HBO Max offers a premium-quality streaming experience. Your browser should be tailored for both ultra HD and 4K streaming.
To solve the problem, all you have to do is check your browser update status. If it is not up-to-date, follow these steps to update it.
To update Google Chrome:
- Open Google Chrome on your computer
- Click on More at the top right corner of the browser
- Click on Help or About Google Chrome
- Click on Update Google Chrome
Note: If you do not find an option for Update Google Chrome, your browser is already updated.
Once the update is complete, relaunch your browser and try playing HBO Max once more.
Solution #2 Clear Cookies and Cache on Chrome Browser
Cookies and cache can affect the functioning of your browser. More so, when you are trying to stream high-quality video.
Some cookies on your browser may try to interrupt streaming services and end up affecting the functioning of HBO Max.
The solution to this problem is as simple as clearing your cookies and cache.
Only clear HBO cookies and cache to avoid messing up with access to other sites.
Steps to clear cookies and cache on Google Chrome:
- Open Google Chrome on your computer
- Click on More at the top right corner
- Click on More Tools
- Select clear Browsing Data
- Chose a time range within which you wish to clear browsing data
- To delete all data, Select All
- Check the box next to Cookies and other site data
- Also, select Cached Images and Files
- Click on Clear Data to complete the process
Note: After clearing the cache and cookies, you will have to restart your browser to incorporate the changes made.
If the site does not work, move on to the next option.
Solution #3 Turn off All VPN and Incognito Tabs
Watching HBO Max is not available globally. You can only Watch HBO Max if you are in the US, Canada, and some Caribbean countries.
For this reason, HBO strictly restricts the type of internet that has access to the site.
If you use any application that hides your IP, you may not be able to stream HBO Max.
In some situations, you may even download Chrome extensions that hide IP without knowing.
This could prevent access to HBO Max and leave you in trouble.
To solve this problem do the following
- Check to see if your VPN is On and Turn it Off
- If you have opened HBO Max in Incognito tabs close them
- Close any Other Incognito tabs on your browser
- Close any Chrome Extension that hides your identity
These solutions should get you back online in a short while.
Solution #4 Allow HBO Permission to Stream on Chrome
Chrome Site Permissions are part of the Google Chrome Security measures. These features control the sites which have permission to carry out certain tasks.
If Chrome flags a specific site as being a disruption, it may take away its permission. This is one of the most common causes of failed HBO Max on Google Chrome.
This can be corrected by restoring permission for HBO Max to stream on your Chrome browser.
Here are the steps to restore permission.
How to give HBO Max permission to stream
- Open Google Chrome on your PC
- Click on More Settings at the top right corner
- Select Privacy and Security
- Click on Site Settings
- Click on play.hbomax.com
- Select Reset Permission
- Go back and close all the tabs on Google Chrome
- Launch the browser a fresh and try watching anything on HBO Max
- This should resolve any problem resulting from permission denial
Note: You will not find play.hbomax.com unless you initially tried to watch HBO on your browser.
If you do not find the site already under sites, you can add it manually.
Solution #5 Uninstall and Install Google Chrome Again
The above solutions should get your Chrome browser streaming HBO Max again.
If this does not work, you should consider uninstalling the browser entirely.
However, before you try uninstalling the browser, check to see if HBO Max is working on the phone.
If HBO Max is not working on the phone, installing a new browser won’t change the situation. Only take this route if you are sure the browser is the problem.
Uninstall Google Chrome on Windows
- Close all Chrome Windows and Tabs
- Click on the Start Menu on Windows
- Chrome Will Appear among the recently opened applications
- Right Click on Chrome and Select Uninstall
- Confirm to uninstall by Clicking Unistal once more
Note: You will not find Chrome on recently opened programs unless it has been opened.
If this is the case, just type Chrome in the search box and it will show up.
Install Google Chrome on Windows
- Download the Chrome Installation file
- Once the file is downloaded, click Run or Save according to the prompt on your screen.
- Once the download is complete, double-click it to open the file
- You will be asked, “Do you want this application to make changes to your device?” Click Yes.
- Follow the prompt on the screen by accepting terms and giving permissions until installation is complete.
Once installation is complete, launch your browser and you will be able to watch HBO Max without a problem.
Uninstall Google Chrome on Mac
- Click on Chrome at the bottom of your computer screen in your Dock.
- Select Quit
- Open Application Finder
- Search and go to the Folder containing the Google Chrome application
- Hold and drag Google Chrome to Trash
- Delete your profile information including bookmarks by entering ~/Library/Application Support/Google/Chrome.
- Click Go
- Select all folders you want to delete and drag them to the Trash
Install Google Chrome on Mac
- Visit Google Chrome Page on any browser and download the Installation File
- Once downloaded, open a file called “googleChrome.dmg.”
- When the Window opens, find Chrome
- Drag Chrome to the Application Folder
- You may be required to enter an administrator password
- If you do not have a password, simply drag Chrome to any spot on your desktop.
Tip: Once you install Google Chrome on your PC, you can go back and edit settings such that you do not require a password to add it to the application folder.
With that, you will have solved HBO Max not working on Chrome.
The beauty of it all is that you do not need any technical assistance to solve the problem. The solutions above are simple and direct for anyone.
Start with the simple ones before going to complex issues.
Read Next: HBO Max Keeps Loading? – Here’s How to Fix
Kevin has over five years of experience working in various Tech startups and providing Technical solutions. He has contributed to many Tech publications and websites.