Your HBO Max keeps loading and it has become quite bothersome. Worry no more!
In this guide, we’ll learn all about the buffering/loading problem with your HBO Max app mainly, and learn some workarounds about the web version.
Keep reading and make sure to pay attention to what’s to come to properly understand and handle the problem.
To fix when HBO Max keeps loading on your device (web version or app), reboot your device and reconnect it to the WiFi. To fix HBO max app problems, update the platform to the latest version, change the output quality and reinstall the app.
To properly understand what could be causing your HBO Max to load, keep reading!
If you’re having loading issues (otherwise called “buffering”) on your HBO Max app, then it would most certainly be caused by Internet/Connectivity Issues on your device.
If it’s not that, then it would be a fault with the application itself or problems with HBO Max’s host from the headquarters.
Let’s summarize all of the possible scenarios where HBO Max would buffer:
- An issue with the Network Device in your setup
- Host Problems with HBO Max
- A problem with the Application’ Software
- Problematic Stream or video file in HBO Max
These are the possibilities behind the endless loading on the HBO GO app and to fix the problem as soon as possible you might need help.
No matter what the cause of the problem is, we’ll figure everything out in the upcoming guide, so make sure to keep reading!
After going through the possible causes for your newly occurred problem with HBO Max, it’s time to troubleshoot!
Make sure to follow the chronological order of our solutions in order to achieve the best troubleshooting results and outcomes possible!
As the title of the solution suggests, the first step should be to Reboot your streaming device.
Chances are that a problem has occurred with the device and as a result of that, HBO Max keeps loading without a proper reason or explanation for the problem.
- This also helps if you’re having issues with the web version of HBO Max
Along with rebooting your device, you’ll also restart the HBO Max app itself, which could also be the cause of the problem.
Let’s reboot your device in the instructions below:
- From the home screen of the HBO Max app, press the “Exit” button.
- Wait for the app to shut down.
- Navigate to the Power Menu of your device.
- Press the “Restart” option.
- Wait for your device to shut down and then reboot.
- Launch the HBO Max app.
Once your device has been rebooted, wait for it to connect with WiFi and then launch the HBO Max app. At this point, turn on a stream and check if the app loads normally now.
Note: Make sure to not unplug your device while it is still rebooting.
Chances are that there is a problem with the WiFi connection on your streaming device.
If the WiFi is too slow, the chances for HBO Max movies and TV shows to load longer and buffer are much more likely.
If using the web HBO Max version, delete the cookies and cache of your browser. To settle this problem, you should reconnect the device to the WiFi.
Follow these steps:
- On the device that you stream the HBO Max app, navigate to Settings.
- Head to WiFi.
- Check the network you’re currently connected to.
- Enter the connection settings.
- Press “Disconnect”.
- Wait for 15-30 seconds.
- Select the same network you were connected to.
- Press “Connect” and enter the password.
- Wait for your device to connect.
Once your device got reconnected to the same WiFi network, you should launch the HBO Max app and then attempt to stream.
Tip: If you’re experiencing network-related issues, perform a Hard Reset on the router.
Since changing the resolution quality of a specific TV show or movie you’re currently watching is not possible, you’ll have to adjust the global resolution setting.
- HBO Max automatically adjusts the video’s quality based on your connection!
If for instance, we say that your internet speeds are below average for full HD streaming, the quality of the media you’re watching will drop to SD and the other way around.
Here’s how to change the output resolution of your HBO Max:
- From the home screen of your HBO Max, head to Settings.
- Press Device Settings.
- Choose “Video Display” and wait for the tab to load.
- Select “Video Output Resolution”.
- Select an Aspect Ratio and Resolution Quality.
Do not drastically drop the resolution setting but try with a single step at a time. Lower the resolution with one set, test and then repeat the same if the buffering/loading persists.
Note: If the issue persists on low resolutions, revert to your regular setting.
Chances are that the loading problem you’re experiencing has something to do with the media you have played.
What you should do in this solution, is attempt streaming multiple different TV shows/movies to determine if the same problem applies there as well.
- Make sure that the different media you test are NOT related to each other
Launch HBO Max, head to the home screen and begin testing different media. Make sure to try out at least several movies and TV shows until you’ve made certain whether the loading problem persists or not.
Before making sure of that point, keep testing with different pieces of media.
Alert: Playing the same show but different episodes will still cause loading to occur.
If HBO Max keeps loading even when re-adjusting the resolution, you should Update the app.
Running an outdated version of any application is never a good thing, since plenty of the existing bugs and software issues may still be active in this version.
Let’s learn how to update your HBO Max in easy steps:
- On your device, launch the App Store.
- Head to the Settings of the app store.
- Press “Manage Installed Platforms/Applications”.
- Wait to be redirected.
- On the following page, scroll down.
- Pinpoint the HBO Max app from the list.
- Highlight the app and hit the “Functions” button.
- Choose “Check for Updates” and wait for the checker to conclude.
- If an update is available, press the “Update” button to begin the process.
Once the update has been started, it may take up to 2-3 minutes based on your device’s performance.
Alert: Make sure to not cancel the update or it may result in corrupted data with HBO.
If nothing worked out so far, then we strongly suggest reinstalling the HBO Max app.
- Keep in mind that this solution will only work for the HBO Max application
Reinstalling means uninstalling and then downloading the app again, onto your streaming device.
This will help with corrupted software data and many other settings-related problems that the platform has run into.
Here’s how to universally reinstall the app:
- Head to the Settings of your device.
- Gain access to the Storage Section.
- Go to the Applications Tab.
- Tap the search field and write “HBO Max”.
- Wait for results in the app search to appear.
- Highlight the HBO Max app.
- Press “Uninstall” when the functions tab appears.
- Wait for the app to be removed from your device.
- Launch the App Store of your streaming device.
- Download the HBO Max again.
- Once it is installed, sign back into your account.
- Attempt the streaming.
Remember that uninstalling HBO Max will erase the settings configuration that the platform had.
This means that any resolution, streaming and even subtitle settings, will be reverted back to their default state.
Tip: You could take a screenshot of your old settings config to re-apply them again.
Thus, to fix when HBO Max keeps loading, restart the app and then reboot your streaming device, after updating the HBO Max app. After this is done, troubleshoot your streaming device’s connection and reinstall the HBO Max platform.
If the buffering problem still persists, contact HBO Max for more troubleshooting info.
Read Next: Teleparty HBO Max Not Working?
Kevin has over five years of experience working in various Tech startups and providing Technical solutions. He has contributed to many Tech publications and websites.