If you’re wondering what the Frontier router red squiggly line means, continue reading this guide!
All status lights visible on the Frontier router have a detailed meaning and a reason to occur.
To identify any issues with the condition of the Frontier router, the first step is to understand what the red squiggly line means.
This is why, in this chronological guide, we’ll cover everything…
The red squiggly line seen on the Frontier router could result from an ONT malfunction or a Frontier outage in your area of residence. To address the issue, conduct a power cycle, then reconnect the service cable from the back panel, and finally, reinstall your services!
Keep reading to identify more working solutions to resolve the red squiggly line!
What Does the Red Squiggly Line on Frontier Router Mean?
Frontier delivers a fiber-optic internet service to its users through a provided ONT device.
The red squiggly line on the Frontier router indicates a failed link with the optic network terminal (ONT); therefore, the network is temporarily suspended.
You could also order a standard internet service from Frontier, where a compatible modem and a router will be delivered once you’ve signed up for a subscription.
The red squiggly line represents a small wave-like icon, and it will typically stay red for the time it is on.
The red indicator will remain until the connection issue is addressed and fixed.
Why Does The Red Squiggly Line Appear?
The primary cause for the red squiggly line is an issue with the ONT, which typically either goes away by itself or may require professional care.
There are plenty of solutions that you can try at home that could cause the squiggly line to go away, so let’s proceed with the troubleshooting…
How to Fix the Frontier Router Red Squiggly Line Easily?
Tip: Follow our steps in a consecutive order!
1. Check for Nearby Frontier Outages
One possibility is that a nearby outage has caused the Frontier service to stop temporarily, and therefore, the router is identifying the outage through the red squiggly line.
This is a common issue, and it has been proven that the red line typically indicates an ongoing Fortnier outage!
Here’s how to check if there’s a Frontier outage in your area or close to you:
- Navigate to frontier.com through a compatible browser.
- Once on the website, sign in with your user credentials.
- Head to the Help Center and press on the “Internet” tab.
- Select “Troubleshooting” > “Check for service outages.”
- Insert your current whereabouts and press on “Search.”
- Wait for the outage checker tool to show relevant results.
- Check if there’s an ongoing Frontier outage in your area.
Remember that the outage table will include information about Frontier outages reported in the last 24 hours.
Thus, you can also see if there were any outages yesterday that could have led to the service disruption on your end.
Note: Frontier outages are typically resolved in 2-3 hours!
2. Reset the ONT (Optical Network Terminal)
With a fiber-optic subscription, you don’t have a modem but an ONT device that connects with the provider’s server.
If the ONT suddenly stops working, the Frontier router will indicate the problem by enabling the red squiggly line you’re seeing on the router.
Where is the Frontier ONT Located?
Unlike a standard internet service, fiber-optic providers install the ONT outside your home, and the installation of the ONT is more complex and unique.
Compared to the standard modem setup, extra cable harnesses must be set outside, so let’s learn more about them…
Here are the most common places to locate your Frontier ONT:
- On the inside of your garage.
- On the outside of your garage.
- Inside a closet in your home.
The ONT is a small box, typically installed in a panel by the Frontier technicians.
Once you’ve found the ONT, ensure not to unplug or manage any of the wires set up by the technicians.
How to Reset a Frontier ONT (Fiber Network Subscription)
No external splitter will exist if you’ve only signed up for internet service.
- Open the ONT terminal panel door.
- Next, locate the battery lead cable.
- Gently unplug the battery’s cable.
- After that, wait for up to 5 minutes.
- Reconnect the battery lead of the unit.
How to Reset a Frontier Modem (Standard Internet Subscription)
If the ONT has an installed splitter device, it is reset differently.
- Locate the power button on the Frontier modem.
- Hold the power button until the device powers off.
- Disconnect the power cable out of the modem.
- Wait for 60 seconds while the cable is unplugged.
- Re-attach the adapter back into the electrical outlet.
Alert: Remember that your Frontier service will temporarily stop while the ONT is unplugged.
3. Power Reset the Frontier Router
You must conduct the power cycle process to address any underlying issues with the Frontier router.
It’s an advanced way to resolve any hardware/software issues with the router and cause the red squiggly line to disappear after plugging the device back in.
Follow these steps to power reset the Frontier router in easy steps:
- Locate the power button on the back of the router.
- Next, hold the power button for about 30 seconds.
- Disconnect the power cable from the router device.
- Wait for 5 minutes after disconnecting the power.
- Re-attach the adapter to the Frontier router and test.
Note: The power cycle is an effective method for reducing the hardware router temperatures!
4. Reinstall the WiFi Router Service
Whether using the standard Frontier internet subscription or the fiber-network option, the router must be connected with a service cable for the Wi-Fi to work.
The red squiggly line could show up due to a failed service connection with your modem or ONT based on your Frontier service.
Follow these instructions to reinstall the router’s service connection in easy steps:
- Unplug the power cable out of the Frontier router.
- Locate the coaxial port on the router’s back panel.
- Unplug the Ethernet/coaxial cable from the device.
- Wait for 2 minutes while the service is unplugged.
- Reconnect the service cable and the power adapter.
- Finally, wait until the router device turns on and test.
- If you’re on a fiber-optic service, the router uses an Ethernet to plug into the ONT.
- If you’re on a standard service, the router uses coax to connect with a service outlet.
Note: The router may take up to 60 seconds to re-launch all network services after the reset!
5. Re-Activate the Frontier Subscription
There’s a chance that your Frontier subscription has been temporarily suspended due to not resuming your subscription on time.
If you’ve accidentally missed a billing cycle or encountered issues setting up the payment information, the red squiggly line might come on.
If applicable, the Frontier’s term commitment will automatically renew at the start date!
Follow these instructions to renew your Frontier Internet service subscription:
- First, navigate to the official Frontier website.
- When prompted, sign in with your user details.
- Then, head to the “Resources” page on the site.
- Press “Subscription” and view the information.
- Follow the on-screen steps to finalize the payment.
How to View Frontier Billing Cycle End Date?
The end date of the Frontier billing cycle is the date you’ve signed up for the subscription plan.
Hence, if you ordered the Frontier equipment on the 13th of the last month, payment must be completed by any means necessary on this month’s 13th in order to avoid account suspension.
Can’t Complete Payment On Frontier Website?
If the Frontier auto-renewal isn’t re-activating the subscription, there could be an underlying fault with the payment details or your financial account.
Here are some essential things to check if Frontier doesn’t renew your plan:
- Check if you have enough funds in your banking account.
- Verify that the payment information is valid and correct.
- Verify that your associated personal info is also correct.
Note: All updated Frontier information will be automatically used for the next month’s payment!
Need More Help?
If you couldn’t resolve the red squiggly line appearing on the Frontier router, perhaps it’s time to reach out for qualified assistance offered by Frontier.
So, dial “855-981-4544” to get in touch with a representative of the Frontier support team and report your issue. Best of luck!
Hence, to fix the Frontier router red squiggly line, power cycle the router and check if the ONT’s installation is correct.
Moreover, check for a Frontier service outage in your area and verify that you have an active subscription to regain access to your Frontier service.
Follow us for more helpful content and technical tips!
Finn Wheatley holds a Master’s Degree in Computer Science from UCL, London. He helped small data science consultancy firms, helping large corporations to grow their data capabilities, deploy advanced machine learning-based analytics and troubleshoot tech-related issues. Check out more about him here.