Wondering why EE 5G not working? So, keep reading this guide since we’re here to help!
When your mobile device is experiencing issues while attempting to connect with EE’s 5G network, there are many possible reasons to inspect individually.
This guide will uncover all possible causes for the 5G problem on EE and provide you with working top-tier solutions.
If your device is not connecting with EE’s 5G, first, check if your device supports 5G and whether EE 5G covers your area of residence. Next, update the mobile device’s firmware, reinsert the EE SIM card, and reset the network settings of the EE unit.
Let’s inspect the issue further!
Why is 5G Not Working EE?
Here’s what could prevent the 5G feature from your EE plan from working:
What are the Requirements for Using EE 5G?
To use a 5G service on your mobile device, you must meet these requirements:
- You need a 5G-compatible smartphone
- The EE mobile plan must support “5G.”
- You must be located in a 5G cover area.
If either of these requirements is not met, you cannot connect with the high-speed network EE provides.
So, if you meet the requirements, but the 5G on your EE mobile is not working, let’s review some working solutions to address the problem…
EE 5G Not Working – 6 Working Ways to Fix!
Tip: Follow our solutions in a consecutive order!
1. Set the Preferred Network Type to “5G”
Selecting “5G” as the preferred network type might be necessary on your 5G-supported mobile device.
Whether you’re on any Android-powered mobile device or Apple’s iPhone, the device is typically set to use “4G” by default, so you must manually switch to 5G to start using the service.
Alert: You cannot select “5G” if the mobile device does not support the network!
How to Set Preferred Network Type On Android?
- Open the “Settings” app on your Android mobile device.
- Navigate to “Network & Internet” from the list of options.
- Select “SIM” and then go to “Preferred Network Type”.
- Choose “5G” in the available network type configuration.
- Save the changes and exit the network options menu.
How to Set Preferred Network Type On Apple iOS?
- Open the “Settings” app on your iPhone or iPad device.
- Press “Mobile Data” and go to “Mobile Data Options”.
- Select “Voice & Data” and wait for the section to load.
- From the drop-down menu, select the “5G” option.
- Wait for the SIM indicator at the top to change to “5G”.
Remember: Using 5G always consumes a high amount of device battery!
2. Enable & Disable Airplane Mode!
A typical resolution to issues with the EE 5G feature is to toggle the Airplane mode ON and OFF.
If you’ve verified that you’re in a 5G-covered area and your mobile device supports the high-speed network, enabling the Airplane Mode will refresh the networking mobile services!
Here’s how to reset the mobile data of the device using the “Airplane” mode:
- Open the “Settings” app on your iOS or Android device.
- Next, locate the “Airplane” icon on the drop-down menu.
- Enter the “Airplane” tab and press the activation slider.
- Wait for 30 seconds and press the activation slider again.
- Wait for the mobile device to pick up a cellular connection.
Also, remember that the Airplane mode suppresses all mobile device cellular and mobile data functionalities while the feature is activated.
Hence, for the time being, while the Airplane mode is active, neither will you be able to use cellular data, nor will you be able to call or receive calls!
Tip: If you cannot find the Airplane mode manually, use the search field in the settings!
3. Check EE Coverage & Network Status!
It is likely that your EE SIM card is unable to connect with the 5G network due to an ongoing service outage or maintenance with the network.
A quick and efficient way to identify lasting issues with the service is by accessing the EE Status Checker through a browser device.
To use the EE status checker, your device must have an active internet connection!
How to Check EE Network Coverage?
The “Network Coverage” checker will provide data on whether 5G is available in your area!
- Open a web browser on your computer or mobile device.
- After that, Navigate to coverage.ee.co.uk/coverage/ee.
- Insert your postcode and select the type of mobile device.
- Tap on “Check Coverage” beneath the device selector tab.
- Select the “Submit” button at the bottom of the tab and wait.
How to Check EE Network Status?
The “Network Status” checker will provide data on whether there’s an ongoing outage!
- Open a web browser on your Apple iOS or Android device.
- Go to “coverage.ee.co.uk/coverage/ee” and input your data.
- Select the “Check Status” button at the bottom of the page.
- Press the “Submit” button and wait for relative data to load.
- Check if there’s an ongoing outage on the appointed postcode.
The network coverage check provides information on which areas the EE service is available, but remember that the coverage could vary based on your mobile device.
On the other hand, the network status provides information about ongoing outages and network maintenance.
Note: If a 5G network does not support your area of residence, you cannot use it!
4. Reinsert the EE SIM Card Chip!
Chances are that your mobile device has encountered a temporal functionality complication, leading to issues with the coverage and the 5G feature.
To address non-lasting problems with the EE SIM card, it is advised to remove the SIM from your device’s tray for 10-15 seconds.
Here’s how to typically eject a SIM card from a mobile device:
- Insert a paperclip or a SIM ejector into the tray’s pinhole.
- Once the tray pops out, pull out the holder from the device.
- Gently eject the EE SIM card from the mobile device’s tray.
- Clean the SIM tray and SIM from any dust or obstructions.
- Install the EE SIM back into the tray and put it back in.
- Wait for the mobile device to recognise the SIM card.
It is advised to reboot the mobile device after reinserting the SIM card.
This specifically applies to Android devices that have multiple SIM nests, as this causes the system to perform a new search for SIM cards that haven’t been detected.
Notice: When you re-insert the SIM card, you’ll be prompted to insert the EE SIM PIN code, which is “1111” by default.
5. Configure the EE APN Settings!
Another possibility is that the APN settings of your mobile device haven’t been set according to EE’s requirements.
When the Access Point Name (APN) settings are misconfigured, your EE mobile will not be able to connect with the network or use any of the promised network services.
This step will uncover the correct settings configuration of the EE network to achieve optimised cellular and mobile data connectivity.
To access the APN settings on the mobile, go to Settings, enter Mobile Data, and tap on Mobile Data Settings.
Note: On some Androids, you must go into “Network & Internet” and select “Create a New APN” to begin the configuration.
What is the Correct EE APN Configuration?
- Name: EE internet
- APN: everywhere
- Proxy: (empty)
- Port: (empty)
- Username: eesecure
- Password: secure
- Server: (empty)
- MMSC: https://mms/
- MMS proxy: 220.127.116.11
- MMS port: 8080
- MCC: 234
- MNC: 30
- Authentication type: (empty)
Note: You can find the APN settings on your phone in the “Network Settings” tab!
6. Update the EE Mobile’s Firmware!
Remember that 5G is only available for mobile devices updated to the latest firmware version available of their operating system.
Hence, the next step is to update the mobile device software and check if the “5G” option will become available in the network configuration menu.
Verify that the mobile device is connected to the internet before updating!
How to Update an Android Phone?
- Open the “Settings” app on your Android-powered device.
- Afterwards, go to the “Firmware” or “Software Update” tab.
- Next, press the “Check for Updates” button for 10 seconds.
- After an update is validated, press the “Update” button again.
- Now, wait until the Android device finalises the system update.
How to Update an iOS Phone?
- Open the “Settings” app on your iOS device.
- Next, go to the “General” tab from the settings.
- Press on the “Software Update” tab at the top.
- Wait until the automatic checker displays updates.
- Press the “Install Now” button to start the update.
Note: Some devices may have “Automatic Software Updates” enabled by default!
7. Reset the Device Network Settings!
Resetting the network settings of the mobile device is an excellent way to address cellular or mobile data connectivity issues.
Remember that restoring the network settings to default will erase all remembered Bluetooth, Wi-Fi connections, and cellular data configurations.
How to Reset Network Settings On Android Device?
- Open the “Settings” app on your Android-powered device.
- Next, scroll all the way down and locate the “Reset” section.
- Once in the reset settings, select the “Network Reset” option.
- Then, follow the on-screen instructions to finalise the reset.
How to Reset Network Settings On Apple iOS Device?
- Open the “Settings” app on your Apple iOS device.
- Access the “General” tab and scroll all the way down.
- Press on “Transfer or Reset [Device]” at the bottom.
- Finally, select the “Network Data” reset option below.
Tip: If the network reset didn’t help, restore the device’s system to factory defaults!
Hence, to fix whenever EE 5G not working, reboot the mobile device and reinsert the EE SIM card from the SIM tray.
If the issue is still there, check if you’re in a 5G-covered area, verify that the device supports 5G, and reset the network settings of the device’s system.
Follow our blog for more helpful tips and technical resolutions!
Kevin has over five years of experience working in various Tech startups and providing Technical solutions. He has contributed to many Tech publications and websites.