If your Canon MG2522 printer not detected, this is most likely a fault related to the software of the printer. There are plenty of things we should look into so let’s start right away!
The MG2522 Pixma Canon router may not be detected by the system if the device is running on outdated driver software.
It is also possible that the USB connection between the printer and your computer is not reliable.
Let’s look into this problem in detail!
Why Is Canon Pixma MG2522 Printer Not Detected?
The only possibility for your Canon Pixma MG2522 to print is through a USB connection to your PC or laptop.
Only then when the printer is recognized by the system prompt, you’ll be able to print particular files installed on your device.
Alert: Canon MG255 does not support wireless connectivity and must be connected to a USB port on your device!
How to Connect the MG2522 Printer Correctly? (Windows)
- Make sure your printer is plugged in/turned on.
- Connect the printer via USB to your PC/laptop.
- Wait for the driver’s automatic file detection.
- Enter the Canon driver software next.
- Wait for the setup wizard to show up.
- Press on the “Add a Printer” option.
- Follow the remaining instructions.
How to Connect the MG2522 Printer Correctly? (Linux)
- Connect the printer to the Linux device.
- Pair your Linux device with the internet.
- Open a terminal on your Linux.
- Type “sudo apt-get install cups-backend-bjnp”
- Open a web browser on your device.
- Type “http://localhost:631” in your browser.
- Click on “Administration > “Add Printer”
- Select “Canon CUPS+Gutenprint v5.3.3” as the model.
- Select “Add Printer” to finalize the setup.
Note: Once the printer is added to your Windows/Linux device, the “Print” button within the Canon software will become available!
7 Ways to Fix When Canon MG2522 Printer Not Detected!
To reach the solution faster, follow each of our steps and instructions chronologically!
1. Inspect the USB Connection!
What’ ‘is standard for the Canon MG2522 printer is that it connects to all computer devices identically – through USB.
If the cable is situated/connected improperly, it could cause your printer to unpair from the connected PC/laptop.
Here’s how to inspect the USB cable of your Canon printer:
- Unplug the cable from both ends.
- Blow out any debris stuck in the cable.
- Check the USB ports of the devices for damages.
- Plug the USB back into your printer/device.
Notice: Making sure there are no damages inflicted on the cable itself and the USB ports on your device is necessary.
2. Restart the Printer/Computer
Perhaps, there’s a temporal software fault on either your printer or computer.
To address this problem, we must reboot both of the devices and refresh their system (cache) to fix the problem with your printer.
How to Restart Canon MG2522 Printer:
- Unplug the printer from power.
- Hold the power button.
- Wait for about 5 minutes.
- Reconnect the power cable.
- Turn on the Canon printer.
Info: The power button of your MG2522 printer is located on the left-hand side
How to Restart PC/Laptop Device:
- Open the Windows/Linux start menu.
- Press on the power icon indicator.
- Select “Reboot” from the power menu.
- Wait for your device to be relaunched.
- Check if the printer is detected.
Info: Relaunch the Canon driver software once your PC/laptop has rebooted.
3. Update the Printer Driver!
If your Canon’s drivers are falling behind on firmware, this could cause a variety of problems with the device.
The only way to check if a new update for your Canon Pixma printer has come out is through the official Canon website.
How to Update Printer Driver On Windows:
- Go to Canon’s Driver page through a browser.
- Select the latest available driver version.
- Wait for the “.exe” file to be downloaded.
- Run the executable file and press “Start”.
- Complete the instructions in the prompt.
- Restart your Windows device to finalize.
How to Update Printer Driver On Linux:
- Open a web browser on your Linux-support device.
- Go to Canon’s Driver Version list for desktop.
- Download the latest driver (64 or 32-bit).
- Extra the downloaded file into a directory.
- Navigate to the directory where the driver is.
- Open a terminal and type “sudo ./install.sh”
- Wait for the installation process to finish.
- Restart your system to use the driver.
Info: Check whether your system is 32 or 64-bit, by launching a terminal for Linux and typing “uname-m” and going to Settings > System > “About” on your Windows device.
4. Clear the Print Queue!
If you’ve been able to print through your Canon printer in the past but it is no longer detected by the system, check the print queue.
If you’ve been piling up requests that your Canon MG2522 printer cannot respond to, it is likely that the device will disconnect from the driver.
- The print queue piles up when your printer is no longer able to execute them!
How to Clear Canon Printer Queue (on Windows):
- Go to “Start” on your Windows device.
- Access the Control Panel through the icon.
- Press on “Devices and Printers” next.
- Locate your Canon printer from the list.
- Select “See what’s printing” and wait.
- Press “Cancel All Documents” finally.
How to Clear Canon Printer Queue (on Linux):
- Open a terminal on your Linux device.
- Type “Ipq” to display the queue of prints.
- Wait for a list of all the prints all the way.
- Type “iprm jobnumber” where “jobnumber” is the name of the print job.
- Repeat step #4 until all prints in the list are cleared.
- Type “Ipq” again, to check if the list is now empty.
Important: Print One Badge at a Time!
The more print jobs you queue up on your Canon printer, the more it is likely that the device will crash.
Make sure to only print one badge of documents at a time to keep your printer clean!
5. Deactivate Firewall/Anti-Malware
An active firewall or anti-malware (antivirus) service may be restricting your system to recognize the printer.
To make sure there are no local system restrictions, it’s best to temporarily shut down the services meant for your network and OS protection.
How to Disable Windows Firewall?
- Open the control panel on your Windows device.
- Navigate to the “System and Security” tab.
- Press on the “Windows Firewall” option.
- Press “Turn Windows Firewall on or off”.
- Select “Turn off Windows Firewall”.
- Click “OK” to save the changes made.
Info: You’ll receive a prompt asking you to confirm the disabling of the Windows firewall.
How to Disable “iptables” Linux Firewall?
- Open a terminal window on your Linux device.
- Switch to the root user, by typing “`su`”.
- Do “service iptables stop” to kill the firewall.
Tip: Typing “chkconfig iptables off” will prevent the firewall from starting up automatically.
Also inserting “yum remove iptables” will completely uninstall the firewall package from your system.
6. Use a Different USB Cable
If your Canon printer is still not recognized by the system, perhaps the USB cable is faulty.
If the cable was used for a continuous amount of time, it’s likely that its ports got worn out and it can no longer support the connection between your printer and computer.
- Connect an alternative USB cable with your Canon Pixma MG2522 and the device!
How to Test the USB?
If possible, test the current USB cable to determine if it’s really faulty.
Try connecting an alternative electrical appliance to your computer, using the same USB cable, and determine if the system will recognize the device or not.
Notice: If the USB works with other devices, the problem is probably with your printer…
7. System Reset the Printer!
Next, we will system reset your Canon MG2522 Pixma printer to clear any software faults that are impacting the device’s ability to perform print jobs.
Once the reset is complete, the printer will return back to factory defaults and any custom configurations will be erased.
Here’s how to system reset your MG2522 printer:
- Make sure that the printer is turned on.
- Press and hold the “Stop” button.
- Keep holding the button for 5 seconds.
- Press and hold “Power” on your printer too.
- Keep holding both buttons for 10 seconds more.
- Wait for the printer to finish resetting.
Info: Your printer will notify you whenever the reset has been finalized, by multiple LED light flashes.
We’ve learned that when the Canon MG2522 printer not detected, it’s mandatory to check if the USB connection is correct.
After that, we deal with the printer’s software faults, by clearing the print queue, updating the driver, and resetting the printer’s system.
Read Next: How Do I Connect My Canon MP499 Printer to WiFi?
Kevin has over five years of experience working in various Tech startups and providing Technical solutions. He has contributed to many Tech publications and websites.