Many QLink subscribers often wonder: Can I transfer my QLink number to another carrier? We’ll provide you with all the answers that you need.
QLink has gained over 2 million subscribers through various government programs that offer free and affordable connectivity. You might assume that you won’t be able to transfer your number.
Let’s find out!
QLink allows you to move your number to a different carrier.
You need to make a request that you want to transfer your number and account. You also want to transfer your benefit to continue enjoying it once you have moved to a different carrier.
Now that you know the basics, let’s delve deeper and discuss some of the things you need to be wary of when porting your QLink number.
Top Considerations to Transfer QLink SIM Card to New Phone
QLink Wireless is a telecommunications company that provides free wireless services to Lifeline-eligible customers.
You can port your number to another carrier if you are no longer eligible for the service. There are just some things you need to consider before doing so.
- You want to make sure that your QLink phone is unlocked
- Have your QLink account information handy for the transfer process
- Get your Porting Authorization Code to get the transfer process started
- Let your new carrier know you’re porting your number
- Check if you can transfer your QLink benefit to your new carrier
Once you have confirmed these details, you can transfer your number.
Full Steps: Can I Transfer My QLink Number To Another Carrier
Before starting the transfer process, ensure your new carrier has coverage in your area.
You’ll also want to check if your device is unlocked and compatible with your new network’s technology.
The process usually takes a few days to complete, so be patient.
You’ll need a few pieces of information to port your number:
- The number you want to be ported
- Your QLink account number and PIN
- The primary account owner’s full name
- Your billing address information
Once you have all these, you can proceed to port your number.
Follow the steps below to easily switch to a new network while keeping your QLink phone number.
Step #1: Choose a New Carrier You Want to Move to
If you’re considering porting your QLink number, one of the first things you must do is select which network to move.
There are a lot of factors why you want to move and continue to enjoy your benefits from QLink.
We know that QLink is an MVNO, which basically means that they’re hitching on another network’s signal. So, it makes sense if you decide to move to a new carrier that meets your mobile usage demands.
Here’s how to choose the carrier you want to move to:
- Look for a carrier where you can transfer your Lifeline or ACP benefits.
- Compare coverage areas and network performance in your area.
- Compare network features from different networks.
- Use online comparison tools for a more detailed look.
- Check the network’s reliability and flexibility of their contracts.
Tip: You’ll also need to look at their customer service to get the best of everything once you have moved networks.
Step #2: Prepare for the Transfer by Verifying Your Phone is Unlocked
Now that you have selected your new network, it’s time to prepare your transfer.
You want to make sure that your phone is unlocked so you can seamlessly move everything to your new network.
To do this, you need to reach out to QLink and get them to check your phone status and unlock it for you.
Here’s how to verify your phone’s unlock status:
- Get your QLink phone and insert a SIM card from a different carrier.
- If it works, you can proceed to the next step.
- Get your phone’s hardware information, like its IMEI number.
Note: Your account needs to be active for at least 12 months, and you don’t have an outstanding balance on your device with QLink.
Step #3: Initiate the Transfer Process with QLink
Now that your device is all sorted out, you can transfer your QLink number to your preferred carrier.
There’s only one way to initiate the transfer process, and that’s to call QLink.
Other networks give you the option to do this via your account page. However, in the case of QLink, you need to call them and let them know you’re moving.
Here are the steps on how you can start the process to transfer your number:
- Call QLink’s customer service hotline at 1-855-754-6543.
- Once you’re connected to a service representative, let them know you want to transfer.
- Provide them with your account information.
- Wait for them to give your number’s porting authorization code or PAC.
Tip: Save the PAC code as you will relay this to your new network so they can process the porting process of your number.
Step #4: Contact Your New Carrier to Transfer Your Number
After writing down and saving the PAC code that QLink provided you, it’s time to relay this to your carrier of choice.
You want to let them know you want to transfer your existing number to their network. If you have a PAC code, they won’t hesitate to help, as that’s permission to proceed.
Here’s how to grant permission to your new carrier to port your number:
- Go to your new carrier’s website.
- Find their menu on device and number transfers.
- Enter the QLink number you want to transfer.
- Fill in your QLink account details and device IMEI number.
- Select a plan you want to use with your new carrier.
Note: Most carriers will have BYOD or Bring Your Own Device sections on their websites to make the transfer process a lot easier.
Step #5: Transfer your QLink Benefit to Your New Carrier
As a current QLink subscriber, you’re likely a Lifeline or ACP beneficiary. The good news is that you can also transfer this benefit with your phone number.
This way, you don’t have to worry about your bills if you still rely on these programs.
You will be able to move these to other carriers, and they will honor it as long as you follow these steps. You want to locate your name and account in the list of beneficiaries so you can present this to your new carrier.
Here’s how to transfer your QLink benefit to your new carrier:
- Go to the NLAD website at forms.universalservice.org/portal/login.
- Log in using your username and password to access your account.
- Click on the Transfer NLAD Benefit button.
- Enter your details and consent from QLink.
- Select Confirm to transfer your benefit.
Note: It’s important that you only have one Lifeline or ACP benefit active so you can transfer it to the carrier of your choice.
Step #6: Activate Your SIM Card and Number on New Carrier
Finally, now that everything is in place, you will need to activate your SIM card with your new carrier.
As you go through these steps, your new carrier will take charge of moving your number to their network. This is all done in the background, and you’ll get a notification once completed.
The next time your new carrier contact’s you, it’s the home stretch, and all you need to do is activate the SIM with your number, and it’s done.
Here’s how to activate your SIM card with your new carrier:
- Wait for your SIM card to arrive.
- Switch off your phone.
- Insert your SIM card into your phone.
- Turn on your phone and wait for it to activate.
Tip: While waiting for your number to be ported out of QLink, you need to leave your account active so your new carrier can get it and move it to their systems.
By following these steps, you transfer your QLink number to a new carrier and your benefits.
There will be circumstances where you’ll decide that you’ll need to move carriers.
It does help to move your number so you don’t have to tell everyone you’ve changed it again.
Can I transfer my QLink number to another carrier? You absolutely can. It will take a couple of days to get everything in order, but once it’s locked in, you should have no issues with it on your new carrier.
You can always contact QLink customer support if you need help transferring your number. Don’t forget to coordinate with your new carrier as well.
Read Next: QLink Data Not Working? – (Quick Fix Guide!)
Kevin has over five years of experience working in various Tech startups and providing Technical solutions. He has contributed to many Tech publications and websites.