Is your British Gas smart meter not showing gas readings? You’re not alone.
Many customers have reported this problem and wondering if they’re paying the right amount. This is caused by your gas supply getting interrupted or faulty power with your smart meter.
To fix your British Gas smart meter to show gas usage, you want to move it closer to your electricity meter so they communicate better. You want to check your British Gas account for your actual usage.
Now, let’s move on to the full solutions.
British Gas Smart Meter Not Showing Gas – 8 Easy Fixes to Do
Fortunately, when you get this problem with your British Gas meter, it does not really cause for alarm as you’ll be able to fix it in no time.
It’s important that you’re able to see your actual gas usage so you’re not in the dark with your bills.
#1: Ensure that Your Gas Supply is Working
Why is my British gas smart meter not showing gas usage? One of the first things you need to look at is to make sure that your gas supply is working and delivering gas to your home.
There are times when it’s going to be interrupted or cut off due to maintenance activities, a system fault, or a safety issue.
To check if it’s working or not, follow these steps:
- Check your gas meter near your boiler.
- Look for any signs of leaks, like a rotten egg smell or a hissing sound.
- Turn on one of your gas appliances to check if it’s working.
- If you detect any issues with your gas supply, switch it off immediately.
Pro Tip: Do not use electrical switches or naked flames in your home until the issue is fixed.
If there’s no issue with your supply and it’s working fine, we recommend you proceed to the next solution below.
#2: Check to See If Your Smart Meter is Switched On
If your British Gas smart meter not showing gas readings, a likely cause is that it’s accidentally turned off.
Sleep mode is also another thing you want to look out for, and this will prevent your meter from displaying your gas usage.
To check if your smart meter is switched on, follow these steps:
- Look at the screen of your smart meter display unit.
- If the screen is blank, your smart meter is off or in sleep mode.
- Press any button on the display unit to turn it on.
- If the screen shows your usage, your smart meter is working fine.
However, if the screen does not light up and show your gas usage, you need to proceed to more advanced steps below.
#3: Verify Your Smart Meter’s Connection to the Wall Outlet
Power issues can plague your British Gas smart meter, which causes this issue where your display is not working.
You want to check if there’s a loose or faulty connection to the power source, as it affects the performance and accuracy of your meter.
Here’s how to verify your smart meter’s power status:
- Unplug your smart meter unit from the wall outlet.
- Check the plug and cable for any damage or signs of wear and tear.
- Make sure that the plug is inserted into the outlet firmly and securely.
- If you find any damage to the plug and cable, get it replaced quickly.
Note: If you do not find any damage or wear and tear, plug it back into the wall to check if it’s working or not after refreshing the power.
#4: Get Your Smart Meter Batteries Replaced
Your smart meter display unit runs on batteries, which power out over time. This causes your meter to stop showing your usage or, worse, show incorrect readings.
Getting the batteries replaced will resolve this issue so you always get accurate readings.
Here’s how to replace your smart meter batteries:
- Turn off your smart meter by unplugging it or turning the breaker off.
- Locate the battery compartment on your smart meter.
- Remove the old batteries.
- Insert the new batteries.
- Close the compartment.
- Switch On the electricity supply to your meter.
You’re going to need to contact British Gas at 0333 202 9802 to request a battery replacement. They will send you a new set of batteries with instructions, which you need to replace right away.
Tip: If you’re not comfortable with handling electrical components, book an appointment with a British Gas Engineer to come to your home.
#5: Move Your Smart Meter Closer to Your Electricity Meter
Your smart meter display unit communicates with your electricity meter wirelessly. This is disrupted by obstacles like walls, furniture, or other devices.
When this happens, you want to mitigate this by moving them closer to each other.
Here’s the right way to move your smart meter close to your electricity meter:
- Locate your electricity meter in your home.
- Unplug your smart meter from the wall outlet and take it with you.
- Move it closer to your electricity meter.
- Look for a place where you’ll be able to plug in your smart meter.
- Plug in your smart meter and check the screen.
Note: This communication is also affected by interference, so avoid placing your smart meter near metal objects, electrical appliances, or other wireless devices.
#6: Check Your British Gas Account for Your Actual Usage
If you’re unsure why is my gas not showing on my smart meter British Gas, it helps to compare it with your reading on the app or online portal.
Sometimes, there’s a delay between your smart meter’s display and what’s shown on your account. This happens if you have low gas usage or an issue with data transmissions.
- Log in to your British Gas account online or through the app.
- Go to the Energy Usage section.
- Select the Gas option.
- You will see a graph of your usage.
- Compare your reading with the data on your smart meter.
- Do this over a span of a week.
Note: If you notice a discrepancy over a few weeks, we recommend that you contact British Gas Support to report the issue.
#7: Reset Your Smart Meter’s Settings
Your smart meter is also prone to bugs or glitches that affect how it works. There are cases when these issues cause it to stop displaying your gas usage accurately or, worse, show incorrect readings.
You want to reset the settings to fix this problem and restore its function.
To reset your smart meter settings, here’s how you do it:
- Press and hold the Power button on your smart meter.
- Hold it for at least 10 seconds.
- Release the button and wait for the screen to go blank.
- Press the Power button again to switch your smart meter On.
- Wait for several minutes for your smart meter to reconnect to your electricity meter.
Tip: The reconnection can take between 2 to 10 minutes, so please be patient throughout this process before you report any issues to British Gas.
#8: Check if Your Smart Meter is Working in Smart Mode
If none of the steps above resolves the issue with your smart meter, it means that it’s likely set to non-smart mode.
This is a setting that stops it from syncing your usage data with your British Gas account.
This happens when there’s a network issue or a technical fault that changes the settings in your meter.
- Check the display unit of your smart meter.
- Check for messages that say “Non-smart mode” or “No network.”
- If this is the case, your smart meter is not in smart mode.
- Contact British Gas on 0333 202 9802 and ask them to reconnect your smart meter.
Note: If you do not see any of these messages, it means that your smart meter is in smart mode, and you’re going to need to get a British Gas engineer to look into it for a more technical solution on their end.
Thus, when your British Gas smart meter is not showing gas, it means there’s something wrong with the connection or your supply. You want to ensure your gas supply is working so the readings continue to go up.
You also want to check your meter’s power status. For more relevant information and troubleshooting guides about your British Gas account, go to our blog!
Read Next: British Gas Top Up Not Working? Fix Guide
Finn Wheatley holds a Master’s Degree in Computer Science from UCL, London. He helped small data science consultancy firms, helping large corporations to grow their data capabilities, deploy advanced machine learning-based analytics and troubleshoot tech-related issues.