Alcatel hotspot not working is a problem you will likely encounter with your wireless internet during your subscription.
Like any other tech gadget, your Alcatel hotspot might malfunction and cause connectivity issues when least expected.
Fortunately, we have proven tips to fix your device and get you back online within minutes.
Simply press and hold the reset button for 3 seconds or the Power and WPS buttons simultaneously for 5-10 seconds. Your hotspot will be restored to factory defaults and all connectivity hitches will be resolved.
This fix guide explains possible reasons your Alcatel hotspot is not working and the different ways to resolve the issue to restore your connection.
Why is My Alcatel Hotspot Not Working?
Your Alcatel hotspot may stop working due to poor network coverage, expired subscription, outdated firmware, or minor bugs.
Below is an overview of the most common causes of this problem:
1. Usurped Data Balance
Depending on the purchased data plan, your Alcatel mobile hotspot might stop working if you exceed the allocated data allowance.
2. Exceeded Device Limit
Most Alcatel mobile hotspots can only support up to 16 connected devices at a time. You cannot add additional devices to the hotspot unless you disconnect the gadgets you are currently not using.
3. Outdated Software
Your Alcatel hotspot has an operating system that allows you to configure and operate the devices per your preferences.
You may have to update the software regularly to prevent compatibility and connectivity issues in the future.
4. Drained Battery
Extremely low or depleted battery power can cause the hotspot to malfunction and stop working.
How to Fix Alcatel Mobile Hotspot Not Working?
Now that you know the reasons Alcatel hotspot not working, troubleshooting and fixing the issue shouldn’t be a problem.
Follow these proven tips to fix your Alcatel mobile hotspot and restore your wireless connection.
Solution #1 Reboot Your Alcatel Hotspot
One of the quickest ways to fix an Alcatel mobile hotspot that is not working is to reboot the device.
Like most electrical gadgets, your hotspot might build up electrostatic charges, leading to minor bugs and glitches.
A simple restart will refresh the system and clear software clutter.
You only need to:
- Locate the Power button on the side panel
- Press and hold the Power button for 3 seconds to turn off the hotspot
- Wait for at least 10 seconds
- Press and hold the Power button for 3 seconds to turn the device on
- Wait for the hotspot to reboot, and try to connect your gadgets
Note: Some hotspot models require you to press the Power button for 10 seconds to reboot the device
Solution #2 Check Your Data Balance
If a reboot does not solve the issue, check your data balance. Alcatel hotspots work using various data plans provided by T-Mobile.
Depending on the purchased subscription, these data plans could be unlimited or have different monthly limits.
Follow these steps to check your data balance:
- Go to the T-Mobile website
- Log in to your T-Mobile account
- Click the Information tab
- Click Statistics to confirm your data consumption and balance
- Purchase a new data plan if you’ve exceeded the allocated limit
Solution #3 Check Device Limit
The latest Alcatel mobile hotspots allow you to create a wireless Wi-Fi zone for up to 16 connected devices.
Older versions only support 5-10 gadgets at a time.
Whether you’re using an old or new model, DON’T exceed the limit lest your hotspot will not add new connections.
Check the user manual of your Alcatel hotspot to find out the device limit. If you establish that you’ve exceeded the limit, jump to Solution #6 to remove some devices from the network.
Alternatively, if you can connect to your hotspot but cannot access the internet, change the password to lock out freeloaders.
Here’s how to change the password to your Alcatel hotspot:
- Connect your smartphone to your Alcatel hotspot
- Launch any web browser on your smartphone
- Enter 192.168.1.1 to access the admin site
- Enter your login credentials
- Swap right until you reach the Settings page
- Tap Wi-Fi settings
- Change the SSID or network name (optional)
- Change the key to your desired Wi-Fi password
- Tap the Save button to apply changes
Note: Every new device will have to enter the new password to connect to your Alcatel hotspot
Solution #4 Check Network Coverage
Your Alcatel hotspot might stop working because of weak signals or poor network range.
Even though T-Mobile has good coverage throughout the country, some remote areas might experience network issues.
The good news is that checking your hotspot for network issues is easy. Your device has network indicators that show signal strength and quality.
Ideally, the mobile hotspot must have at least two signal bars to rule out the possibility of poor network coverage.
You can also check the network bars on your phone to confirm signal strength.
To avoid network issues, check the T-Mobile website to confirm coverage areas.
You can also move your hotspot around while monitoring the network indicators for changes.
Solution #5 Restart Your Device
Sometimes, the problem might emanate from your smartphone, tablet, or laptop rather than the mobile hotspot.
Restarting your phone or tablet can help troubleshoot and fix connectivity issues.
To restart your device:
- Locate the power button
- Press the power button until your device turns off
- Wait for 10-30 seconds
- Press the power button to turn on your device
- Try to connect your device to your mobile hotspot
Solution #6 Forget and Rejoin Network
Your smartphone or tablet usually saves the info of all connected wireless networks.
However, the network profile might change if you modify your hotspot password, leading to connectivity issues.
Forgetting and rejoining the hotspot network can help resolve the issue:
Here are the steps to forget a network on an Android:
- Open the Settings app
- Go to Wireless and Networks
- Tap on Wi-Fi
- Tap the Wi-Fi name of the connected network
- Tap Forget at the bottom of the screen
- Tap Forget again to confirm your selection
- Go back to Wi-Fi settings
- Tap the Wi-Fi hotspot name you want to rejoin
- Enter the password to connect
Follow these steps to forget a network on an iOS device:
- Open the Settings app
- Go to Wi-Fi
- Tap the Mobile Hotspot name you want to forget
- Tap Forget this Network
- Tap Forget to confirm
- Go back to Wi-Fi settings
- Tap the Mobile Hotspot you want to reconnect
- Enter the hotspot password to connect
Solution #7 Update Hotspot Firmware
Your Alcatel hotspot might malfunction and stop working because of outdated software. Updating the hotspot firmware can help resolve the issue.
Here are the steps:
- Note your Alcatel hotspot model number
- Launch your preferred browser
- Go to Alcatel’s official website
- Go to the software downloads web page
- Enter your hotspot model number to check for updates
- Download the latest updates to your computer
- Connect your hotspot to your PC via USB
- Double-click the firmware setup files to update your hotspot firmware
Solution #8 Reset Your Alcatel Hotspot
If all else fails, consider resetting your Alcatel mobile hotspot. Performing a reset will restore the device to factory defaults, allowing you to set it up afresh.
Since most Alcatel mobile hotspots have a reset button, the process is much easier than you think.
Here are the steps:
- Locate the recessed reset button
- Using a pin, press and hold the reset button for 3 seconds
- Wait for the LED indicator lights to blink before releasing the button
- Allow the device to reboot
Pro Tip – If the reset button is unresponsive, press and hold the Power and WPS button simultaneously for 10 seconds to reset your hotspot
Read Next: How to Block Numbers on Alcatel Flip Phone?
Kevin has over five years of experience working in various Tech startups and providing Technical solutions. He has contributed to many Tech publications and websites.