What can you do with a rooted Chromecast? We’ll talk about them here!
Using a Chromecast allows you to watch content from your other devices on your TV. It’s a versatile device, and rooting it opens more features to improve your viewing experience.
Rooting your Chromecast allows you to install custom ROMs or software to it. You will be able to install apps not in the app store, change network settings like DNS and even install a VPN to access blocked shows.
Let’s get to the details!
Know What Can You Do With a Rooted Chromecast
Rooting your Chromecast opens up many opportunities to level up your streaming experience.
Let’s explore the benefits and drawbacks you must be aware of.
Understanding Chromecast Rooting
Getting your Chromecast rooted gives you access to its system and configuration files.
Doing this allows you to customize and unlock features you otherwise won’t be able to access.
Advantages and Risks of Chromecast Rooting
When you root your Chromecast, it comes with advantages and challenges. It’s important that you know these before you decide to play around with your device’s system files.
Here’s what you need to know about the advantages and risks of rooting your Chromecast:
Advantages of rooting your Chromecast:
- Enhance your streaming experience by using custom ROMs.
- Configure advanced network settings like DNS servers and VPN.
- Expand the compatibility of your Chromecast with third-party apps.
- Boost your device’s performance by overclocking it.
- Backup or restore your Chromecast
Risks of rooting your Chromecast:
- Damage your device if you make a mistake rooting it.
- Expose your device to potential security risks and malware.
- Void your warranty and lose support and access to features.
What You Need to Know About Rooting and Custom ROMs
If you want to make changes to your Chromecast and root it will take some additional tools.
You’ll also need to choose between which custom ROM to use. A few of your choices include KyoCast, FlashCat Mod, PwnedCast, and others.
- Not all Chromecasts are compatible with custom ROMs.
- You will need some extra hardware and software tools.
- Each custom ROM comes with its own set of pros and cons.
Pro Tip: It’s best left to the pros to root your Chromecast than doing it yourself, especially if you don’t have any experience.
Enhanced Streaming Options with Rooted Chromecast
What you can do with a rooted Chromecast? One of the reasons why they choose to modify their device is to enhance their streaming experience.
A custom ROM can greatly improve video and audio quality and block ads. Let’s take a closer look into these:
Improved Video Quality and Enhanced Audio
Custom ROMs will increase the video resolution and bitrate of your Chromecast. This results in a much sharper and smoother picture.
Apart from improved video quality, they will also enhance your device’s audio output.
Here’s what you get with certain ROMs:
- Eureka-ROM boosts resolution from 720p to 1080p
- PwnedCast increases the bitrate from 6 Mbps to 12 Mbps
- Eureka-ROM enables Dolby Digital Plus passthrough
- KyoCast increases the volume by 25%
One of the more enticing reasons why you want to get your Chromecast is the capability to block ads.
Since they will interrupt your streaming, removing them allows you to watch your favorite content without interruption.
Advanced Network Settings
Now that you have unlimited access to your Chromecast’s files, you’re capable of configuring its advanced network settings with a rooted one.
You will be able to enjoy improved internet speeds, better security, and access to more content.
Custom DNS Configurations
An important setting you can start tweaking is your DNS settings. It will help you bypass some blocks and improve your connection to stream virtually any content easily.
Here are the benefits of changing your Chromecast’s DNS settings:
- Faster and more reliable connection compared to your default DNS settings
- Block ads and malware protecting your device
- Enhance your privacy by anonymizing your connection
To change your DNS settings on your rooted Chromecast, follow these steps:
- Open the Settings app on your Chromecast.
- Go to the Network option.
- Select Advanced.
- Choose DNS.
- Enter these DNS servers:
- Google Public DNS: 220.127.116.11 and 18.104.22.168
- Quad9 DNS: 22.214.171.124 and 126.96.36.199
- OpenDNS Home: 188.8.131.52 and 184.108.40.206
VPN Setup for Unlocking Content
If you’re looking for a more robust way of keeping your connection and activity private and secure, a rooted Chromecast also allows you to set up a VPN. Additionally, it also opens up content from other regions.
To set up a VPN on your rooted Chromecast, follow these steps:
- Open Google Play Store on your Chromecast.
- Download a VPN app such as AtlasVPN.
- Launch the AtlasVPN app.
- Select a server from a country you want to watch content from.
- Hit the Connect button.
You must root your Chromecast before performing these, as you’re not able to download VPN apps with an unrooted one.
VPN: A premium and reliable VPN service that doesn’t break the bank is AtlasVPN. It works even on rooted Chromecasts, allowing you to watch content from other countries.
Expanded App Compatibility
An additional benefit of a rooted Chromecast is expanded app compatibility. This means that you are able to enjoy access to apps that you otherwise won’t.
Access to Restricted Apps and Services
A known limitation of Chromecast is that it only supports apps with Google Cast.
There are a lot of apps that don’t use this, and you’re missing out on a lot of content. Rooting your Chromecast will enable you to install and enjoy these.
Here are the apps that you can get after rooting your Chromecast:
- HBO Max
- Hulu + Live TV
Using Third-Party App Stores
Another limitation of an unrooted Chromecast is that you can only get apps from Google Play Store.
And we all know you can’t get all the apps there. Having access to third-party app stores opens up a plethora of choices.
Here are some of the popular third-party apps:
- Aptiode – an alternative app store you can get from the Google Play Store
- F-Droid – an app store that offers free and open-source apps
- APKPure – an app store that allows you to download APK files to sideload.
Modify System Files and App Settings
One major complaint of most Chromecast users is its lack of customization and personalization. A rooted Chromecast allows you to change its settings, giving you more control.
Here are some of the settings that you can change:
- Change your Chromecast’s wallpaper
- Change the icons
- Switch fonts to your preference
- Use a different theme
Note: You can also change performance, battery, and security settings.
Overclocking and Performance Boosts
One of the top reasons why users root their Chromecast is to overclock it and boost its performance.
If you overclock your device, it increases the processor’s clock speed more than its default value. Doing this will improve the speed and enhance the experience.
- Your device can overheat and cause damage
- Overclocking can cause instability and app crashes
- Requires root access which will lose your warranty and support from Google
Note: Overclocking requires technical skills and knowledge, so we highly recommend getting help from a seasoned expert to guide you in attempting this.
Backup and Restore Capabilities of a Rooted Chromecast
An important thing you can do with a rooted Chromecast is the ability to back up and restore it. This will help you in case you have issues or modifications.
Here’s what you want to watch out for that will require restoring your backups:
- Bricking and boot looping that makes your device unusable
- Factory reset and data loss due to an error or malfunction
- Customization and experimentation that causes loss of data
Other Considerations with Rooting Your Chromecast
As we have established, rooting your Chromecast does come with a lot of advantages. It allows you to do things you normally won’t be able to do on your device.
Apart from the challenges we have described, there are also other considerations that you need to take into account.
- Need to research thoroughly before deciding to root your Chromecast
- Rooting poses security risks and malware, especially with third-party apps
- You’re going to lose your warranty and support when you root it
Explore Your Rooted Device
Since you now realize that rooting your Chromecast opens up many possibilities, it can surely be worth it.
As long as you’re aware of the risks and challenges and ready to take them on, by all means, work on getting your Chromecast rooted.
Important: Once you have full access to your device, we highly encourage you to explore the different available features.
What can you do with a rooted Chromecast? Apparently, there are a lot of things that you are able to do. Most importantly, it can enhance your streaming quality and access advanced network settings like a VPN.
If you want to know more about what your Chromecast can do, visit our blog!
Finn Wheatley holds a Master’s Degree in Computer Science from UCL, London. He helped small data science consultancy firms, helping large corporations to grow their data capabilities, deploy advanced machine learning-based analytics and troubleshoot tech-related issues. Check out more about him here.