Wondering why Virgin Mobile can’t make outgoing calls? Well, you’re not the only one!
If you can receive calls but cannot send any, the issue is likely with the SIM card or the APN settings of the mobile device.
In this guide, we will review all possibilities for the malfunction and accompany each cause with a proven troubleshooting resolution!
When Virgin cannot make outgoing calls, reinsert the Virgin SIM card from your device’s SIM tray and update the firmware and APN settings of the device. Next, identify if the carrier settings are misconfigured and reset your network configuration.
Let’s continue the investigation!
Can’t Make Outgoing Calls Virgin Mobile – Explained!
Here’s what could prevent your Virgin SIM card from performing outgoing calls:
The first step before the troubleshooting is to check for ongoing Virgin media outages!
How to Check for a Virgin Service Outage?
When you can’t make outgoing calls on your Virgin services, it’s likely that there’s a service outage so you must check this first.
Luckily, you can check for outages anytime and only need to access the Virgin Outage Identificator.
Here’s how to determine if the Virgin mobile service is temporarily impacted:
- Navigate to virginmedia.com/help/service-status.
- Next, press the purple “Check service status” button.
- Wait for the outage checker to display relative results.
Info: When ready, all results of reported outages related to the Virgin Mobile or Broadband service in the last 24 hours will be organised in a table.
How to Fix When Virgin Mobile Can’t Make Outgoing Calls?
Tip: Follow our steps chronologically to improve the efficiency of the troubleshooting!
1. Reboot the Mobile Device!
The first possible resolution to the issue with the Virgin Mobile service is to reboot the mobile device’s system.
If your Virgin mobile has encountered a temporal functionality complication, shutting down the system and powering off the mobile device for several seconds is advised.
How to Reboot Android-Operated Mobile Device?
Hold the “power” button on one of the side panels on the Android device for 3 seconds and select the “Reboot” or “Restart” option.
How to Reboot iOS-Operated Mobile Device?
Hold the “power” button on the left side panel of the iPhone and slide the “power off” button to shut down your Apple device.
Info: If the power button on your iPhone brings up Siri instead, go to Settings > General > “Shut Down” to power off the system.
2. Deactivate the Airplane Mode!
With Airplane Mode activated, your device can neither send nor receive calls made via cellular.
This type of DND mode suppresses all external communications of the mobile device until it is toggled off or you’ve gotten off the plane after the feature’s automatic activation.
If the Airplane Mode has been activated automatically, it will turn off itself.
Here’s how to check if the airplane mode is enabled on your mobile device:
- Open the “Settings” app on your mobile device.
- Scroll down and press on the “Airplane” section.
- Press the activation slider to turn off the feature.
Alert: Do not reactivate the Airplane mode or similar DND features until the issue is resolved!
3. Move Into a Cellular-Covered Area
One of the reasons you’re unable to request outgoing calls through your Virgin-powered device is that there is no cellular coverage in your current location.
Many things could obstruct cellular signals, and it’s best to monitor the cellular tracker of the mobile device.
The SIM indicator at the top-right or top-left part of the display consists of bars corresponding to the signal quality your device receives.
If the SIM indicator is at one bar, it is highly likely that the cellular coverage is insufficient to perform an outgoing call through the Virgin SIM card.
Two coverage bars are recommended for optimal cellular performance!
Hence, strive to improve cellular coverage by moving into areas where the interference is weaker, and you’re closer to a cellular/radio tower!
Tips to Improve Cellular Coverage On Mobile?
Here are some practical ways to improve the cellular coverage of your mobile device:
- Move to a different location or go outside to test.
- Move out from tunnels and underground places.
- Set the phone’s roaming to “3G” and attempt to call.
- Remove your phone’s case and other obstructions.
- Get as high as possible if you’re in a forest or field.
Check where the closest radio tower is online if your mobile device has reliable service.
This will provide a general idea of where the phone must be pointed to receive as good a cellular signal and coverage as possible from that location.
Tip: Track the cellular’s performance by looking at the indicator at the top of the home screen!
4. Reinsert the Virgin Mobile SIM Card!
To address temporal issues with the Virgin SIM card, taking it out from the mobile device and placing it back in is an advised course of action.
If there is a communication issue or problems with recognising the Virgin SIM, reinserting it is the best way to resolve the complication.
All you need to eject the SIM card is a SIM tool, a pin, or a paper clip!
Follow these steps to reinsert the Virgin SIM card on any mobile device:
- Insert the SIM tool into the pinhole of the tray.
- Once the tray pops out, remove the Virgin SIM.
- While waiting for 60 seconds, clean the SIM tray.
- Next, place the Virgin SIM card back into the tray.
- Info: Use the SIM card’s cut corner for orientation.
- Embed the SIM card properly and push the tray.
Note: Verify that the SIM tray has clicked into your mobile device and is secured!
5. Correct the Mobile Device’s APN Settings
Incorrect APN settings configuration could lead to issues with the mobile data of the mobile device, including issues with outgoing and incoming calls.
To verify that the APN configuration of the device is correct, you must change the network settings according to Virgin’s requirements.
- To adjust the Android APN, go to Settings > “Cellular” > “New APN”.
- To adjust the iOS APN, go to Settings > Mobile Data > “ Mobile Data Network.
|The Correct Virgin Mobile APN Configuration!|
|MMS protocol||WAP 2.0|
Some of the fields in the APN configuration page of the mobile device will be left empty as they are not required for communicating with the network.
Note: Verify that the changes completed to the APN configuration are saved before exiting!
6. Reset the System’s Network Settings!
A proven resolution to cellular issues on your end is to reset the network settings configuration of the device.
Potentially misconfigured options could result in an onset of functionality issues, including mobile data problems, missing cellular coverage and call-related hurdles.
The network data reset will erase all remembered Bluetooth and Wi-Fi connections!
How to Reset Network Settings On Android?
- Swipe upwards from the home screen of the Android phone.
- Next, open the “Settings” app and scroll down to “System”.
- Go to “Reset Options” > “Reset Wi-Fi, mobile & Bluetooth”.
- Tap on “Reset Settings” to confirm the process and to begin.
How to Reset Network Settings On iOS?
- Open the “Settings” app on your iPhone/iPad device.
- Next, go to “General” > “Transfer or Reset [Device]”.
- Tap “Reset” and choose “Reset Network Settings”.
- Confirm the reset of the network settings and wait.
Note: The network settings reset typically takes about 30-60 seconds!
Need More Help?
If you’ve tried everything in this guide but cannot make outgoing calls from your Virgin-powered mobile, it’s time to seek assistance.
If your Virgin services are suspended, or there is any other account problem, you’ll be unable to fix the fault at home, so contact Virgin Customer Service.
Hence, whenever Virgin Mobile can’t make outgoing calls, verify that the APN settings of the device are correct and update the version of the firmware.
Furthermore, reinsert the Virgin SIM card from the SIM tray and restore the network settings to their factory value.
Follow us for more helpful tips and troubleshooting content!
Kevin has over five years of experience working in various Tech startups and providing Technical solutions. He has contributed to many Tech publications and websites.