The Verizon 5G home internet self install kit makes it easy for you to get Verizon home internet.
Installing the Verizon 5G home internet has proven problematic for some. While this might be a problem for you, we have all the steps to get things going.
To install the Verizon 5G home internet, you must first verify if the services are in your area. Order the kit and confirm the availability of all tools. Once you have the tool, visit the Verizon 5G setup page and log in. Tap on Begin setup. Enter your order number without the 001 digits. Power your router and follow the prompts to locate your Gateway.
Once you have the ideal location for your router and gateway, the 5G internet should be ready. Read further below to find the exact steps for self-installing the kit.
Factors to Consider Before Installing Verizon 5G at Home
If you are going to self-install Verizon 5G, there are key factors you must consider.
This guide provides all the details for Verizon 5G home self-setup. Make sure you follow these guidelines before you take any steps.
General factors to consider are:
- Do not touch any of the gadgets before reading the whole guide
- Activate Bluetooth on the device you wish to connect to the 5G Internet Gateway.
- All required items are included in the package.
- Download the My Verizon app on your Android or Apple device.
- These guidelines only apply to the Verizon 5G Internet Gateway
- Make sure you check your location compatibility before ordering the kit
Verizon 5G Home Internet Self Install Step by Step
With Verizon 5G home installation, you don’t need to worry about cables, wires, or technicians coming to your home.
Instead, you can easily set up the service yourself with the Verizon 5G Home Internet Self-Install Kit.
Below are the detailed steps on how to install the internet at home.
1. Check Your Eligibility for Verizon Home 5G
Before you start installing Verizon 5G home internet, you need to check if it is available in your area.
You can do this by visiting the Verizon website and entering your address. If Verizon 5G Home Internet is available in your area, you can proceed to the next step.
Steps to check eligibility:
- Visit the Verizon 5G Home Internet Page
- Click on Check Availability to see if the services are available in your region
- Input your Home Address and click on the check
- The website will check your address and inform you if you can set up Verizon 5G in your home.
2. Order the Self-Install Kit
Once you have confirmed that Verizon 5G Home Internet is available in your area, you need to order the Self-Install Kit.
You can do this online or by calling Verizon customer service. The kit will be shipped to your address.
How to order the kit online:
- Visit the Verizon 5G Home Internet Page
- After checking availability you will be taken to the order page
- Select a plan that suits your needs
- Provide your details including your exact home address
- Select a payment method and pay for your kit
- Wait for the kit to be delivered to your home
Note: If you are informed that the self-install 5G is not available in your region, do not try installing it since it won't work.
3. Unbox the Self-Install Kit
When you receive the Self-Install Kit, unbox it and make sure that you have all the items that are listed in the kit.
If the kit does not have all the requirements, contact customer care for assistance.
The items included in the kit are:
- Verizon 5G Router
- Power adapter
- Ethernet cable
- Quick start guide
Note: If any of these devices are missing from the box do not start the installation process. Send the package back for a complete kit.
4. Choose a Location for Your Gateway
Next, you need to choose a location for your router. The location you choose for your router will be important in ensuring that the whole house gets service.
Here are some guidelines for choosing the location for the router.
- The router should be placed in a central location in your home to ensure that you get the best possible signal.
- It should also be placed away from walls, metal objects
- Keep away from electronics that could interfere with the signal.
- Ensure it is close to a power source since the power cord is quite short
5. Connect the Router to the Power Source and Enter Setup
Connect the power adapter to the router and plug it into a power outlet. Make sure that the router is turned on and that the power light is on.
Once the router turns on, start the setup process immediately.
To start the setup, you will need your My Verizon application.
Here are the steps to start the setup:
- Connect the Getaway to a power source
- Open the My Verizon app and tap “Start your 5G Home setup.”
- Ensure you’re signed into My Verizon account for the best experience.
- Alternatively, Scan the QR code in the Quick Start Guide to download the app
- If this does not work, visit the Verizon 5G Setup Page to begin.
- Tap “Begin setup,” and if prompted, allow access to Bluetooth and location.
6. Follow the Prompts to Complete Router Setup
There are specific directions you must take to see that your router receives a signal.
On the Verizon 5G setup page, you have to follow specific prompts. They detail the direction of your antenna to get the best signal.
Below are the exact steps to ensure you get the required signal.
- Tap “Continue” after watching the video or you may scan through the video
- Enter your Order Number and tap “Continue.” Remove “001” from the end of your order number, if applicable.
- Select Allow My Verizon access to your camera if prompted.
- Select the 5G antenna closest to the preferred setup location in your home, if available.
- Calibrate by tilting your phone compas and moving it in a circular motions at least three times.
- Follow the arrows to find the 5G signal area in your house closest to the 5G antenna outside.
- Once the light on your router turns white from red, you should have found the best signal.
7. Pair Your Phone and Finish Setup
You cannot finish setting up your home 5G internet until you have paired your phone to your router.
This is the easiest way you will have control over your internet.
Here are the steps to pair up and start using your home internet.
- Tap on “Pair phone” after finding signal
- Tap “Copy password” and then “Paste”
- Select Pair and Activate, which may take up to 6 minutes.
- From the ‘Paired‘ screen, tap “Continue,” then review the instructions.
- Select a window where you will mount your Gateway
- Mount the gateway and proceed to test your internet
8. Connect Your Devices to the Router
Once you have finished setting up your device, you should try connecting your devices.
Connect your devices, such as laptops, smartphones, and tablets, to the router using the Ethernet cable or Wi-Fi.
If you are using Wi-Fi, you will need to find the Wi-Fi network name and password that are printed on the label at the bottom of the router.
Use the Wifi name and password to connect your smartphone and laptop You may change the name and password by logging into your admin panel.
How to change the password on the router
- Connect your device to your home Wi-Fi network.
- Open a web browser and type “http://192.168.1.1“ in the address bar
- Enter the default username and password as “admin” and “password” respectively
- Once you have logged in, click on the “Wireless” tab.
- Go to the “Basic Security Settings” section,
- Select the “WPA/WPA2” option, click on the dropdown menu and click “WPA2”.
- In the “Wireless Password” field, enter your new password.
- Click on “Apply” to save the changes you have made.
Note: After the changes are saved, you will be disconnected from the Wi-Fi network. Y
The Verizon 5G home internet self-install using the Self-Install Kit is a straightforward process.
All you will need is to get the kit from Verizon and you can set up your internet in a few minutes.
The hardest part is to locate the best signal direction and location for your router.
Read Next: Is Verizon 5G Home Internet Good For Gaming?
Finn Wheatley holds a Master’s Degree in Computer Science from UCL, London. He helped small data science consultancy firms, helping large corporations to grow their data capabilities, deploy advanced machine learning-based analytics and troubleshoot tech-related issues. Check out more about him here.