The home Wifi router can experience many problems and one of them is the Verizon 5G home internet red light blinking.
The router may either blink gently or fast. In other cases, the router will show a constant red light that is not blinking. We will show you what all these errors mean and how to solve them.
To solve the Verizon router red light problem, you will have to power cycle it. Unplug your router power cable from the wall socket and wait for 30 seconds before plugging it back. If the red light does not get out after all attempts, reset your router. Press the reset button and wait until the router has reset.
While your router might still be functioning, the red light indicates that it has a problem that must be fixed. Some of the reasons for your router misbehaving are as follows.
Reasons Why Your Router is Blinking Red Light
There are many reasons why the Verizon 5G home internet blinks red. By looking at the type of blink, you would be able to tell the problem.
For instance, a constant solid red light shows that the router is unable to connect to the internet. It might even connect but the connection will be slow.
- The router gateway is experiencing problems. This will result in a red light slowly blinking.
- The router is having connection problems that result in a constant solid red light.
- The router is overheating due to a fan problem. This results in a quick flashing red light.
- The router is experiencing a temporary glitch which can be fixed by resetting.
- The router firmware is outdated and needs an update
Note: The solutions to the problem depend on the exact cause of the problem. You can look at the type of red light blink to determine the problem and potential solution.
Solutions to Verizon 5G Home Internet Red Light Blinking
If you encounter an issue with your Verizon router, identifying the problem may not be straightforward.
Different types of red lights on your router indicate distinct issues that require solutions.
To solve the problem with the router, we will look at the problem at hand.
Below are the solutions to the Verizon router red light blinking problem in steps.
1. Improve Router Position to Fix Constant Red Light
A solid red light on your router shows that the router is experiencing difficulty connecting to the internet.
There are several factors that may lead to your router struggling to connect. The router position may be blocking access to the internet.
Other factors may include coaxial cable connection and general service:
- Check the position of the router and make sure it is in an open area with a strong signal.
- If you use a Wi-Fi extender, consider moving it closer to the router to improve the connection.
- If the issue persists, unplug the router from its power source.
- Leave the router unplugged for at least 30 seconds to ensure a complete reset.
- Plug the router back in and wait for it to fully restart.
Check to see if the red light on the router is still constant. If the light has not changed, try the other options below.
2. Check Physical Hardware to Fix the Slow Flashing Light
If the light on your router blinks slowly, your gateway is experiencing an issue. The most common cause of this issue is loose coaxial cables.
You can try resolving the problem by fixing your hardware and cable connection issues.
How to fix coaxial cable connection on your router:
- Locate the Coaxial Cable that connects your router to the wall.
- Check that the cable is securely attached to both the router and the wall.
- If the cable is loose, unplug it from both ends.
- Inspect the cable for any damage or wear and tear
- If the cable is damaged, replace it with a new one.
- Reattach the coaxial cable securely to both the router and the wall.
With that, you should have solved the flashing light problem. If things do not change, try the other solutions below.
3. Stop Quick Flashing Lights by Preventing Overheating
One of the most frequent causes of a fast-flashing light on a Verizon router is overheating.
Routers use cooling fans to avoid overheating, but if the fan is not functioning correctly, the router can reach dangerous temperatures.
The first step should be to turn off your router if it is overheating. You should then listen to the router to see if it has a fa sound.
Here are steps to deal with overheating router:
- Unplug the router from the Power Source to prevent further damage.
- Allow the router to Cool Down for a sufficient period of time.
- Once the router has cooled, “Check the Fan” to make sure it’s functioning correctly.
Note: If you find any issues with the fan or suspect that it's not working properly, contact Verizon customer service for further assistance.
4. Power Cycle Your Router
You may also power cycle your router to clear the red light problem. Regardless of which red light error you are experiencing, power cycling is enough.
All you have to do is locate the power cable and unplug your router from power. Give it a few seconds then plug it back into power.
With that, you will have cleared all errors causing the router to malfunction:
- Locate the Power Cable at the back of your router.
- Carefully unplug the power cable from the router and the power outlet.
- Wait for at least 30 seconds before plugging the power cable back into the router.
- Plug the power cable back into the power outlet.
- Wait for the router to power up and all lights to become stable.
- Check the router lights to make sure they are all working properly.
5. Reset Your Verizon Router
If all the above options fail, the other solution should be to reset your router.
Resetting your router will clear all temporary glitches and bugs that may be the cause of the problem. Resetting your router is an easy process.
✅ All you have to do is press the reset button found on the rear side of the router.
Steps to reset your router:
- Locate the Reset Button on the back of your router.
- Push the Reset Button for 10-15 seconds using a pin or paperclip.
- Release the reset button once the Lights on the router start flashing.
- Wait for the router to Reboot and all lights to become stable.
- The router is now reset to its Factory Settings.
- Reconfigure your router’s settings, including your Wi-Fi network name and password.
- If you are still experiencing issues after resetting the router, contact Verizon customer service for further assistance.
Note: Resetting your router will delete all your wireless settings including your Wifi name and password. You will have to log in to your router's admin panel to configure your router once more.
6. Update Your Router’s Firmware
The final step you may want to take is to update your device’s firmware.
Updating firmware will ensure that your router is running in the best possible way. This will clear any errors causing the red light to show up.
Steps to update your Verizon router firmware:
- Connect to the 5G Home network.
- Sign in to the Admin Web GUI.
- Navigate to the System Settings option
- Click on “Check for Software Update” from the General Information screen,
- Click “Check for FTP OTA” as an alternative.
The Verizon 5G home internet red light blinking problem can easily be solved.
This is an issue that occurs when your router is not functioning properly. By identifying the different types of red light blinking, you can correct any errors.
Follow the steps above to adjust your router settings and stop the light from blinking.
Read Next: Is Verizon 5G Home Internet Good For Gaming?
Finn Wheatley holds a Master’s Degree in Computer Science from UCL, London. He helped small data science consultancy firms, helping large corporations to grow their data capabilities, deploy advanced machine learning-based analytics and troubleshoot tech-related issues. Check out more about him here.