Wondering why the Starlink WiFi calling not working for you? Let’s find out in the guide!
Starlink offers amazing internet services with a direct satellite connection and also supports WiFi calling and texting.
However, sometimes Starlink WiFi calling might hit a few bumps along the way but fear not because this guide will help you easily get your WiFi calling feature working.
Many factors can prevent Starlink WiFi calling such as incompatibility in your device, disabled WiFi calling, signal interference, dish placement, and more.
So, the solution involves checking the Starlink setup, equipment, installation, and WiFi settings.
Let’s dive into the guide to discuss more!
Starlink WiFi Calling Not Working? 7 Easy Solutions!
Quick Tip: Do This First!
- Open the Starlink app and check for any service outages in your area!
- Make sure that you’re using the carrier plan including WiFi Calling!
When everything is sorted but the issue continues, start troubleshooting!
1. Ensure WiFi Calling is Enabled
This might sound obvious but you need to verify that the WiFi calling feature is enabled on your phone because all devices are different in settings.
If it is enabled, then disable it for a while and then enable it back to give the feature a kind of reset.
Here is how to enable WiFi calling:
Enable WiFi Calling – Android!
- Open your phone Settings.
- Press on the Connections.
- Locate the WiFi Calling.
- Turn the toggle button on.
- Select your calling mode.
Enable WiFi Calling – iPhone!
- Open your phone Settings.
- Find and enter the WiFi option
- Connect to the Starlink WiFi.
- From Settings, go to Cellular.
- Locate and tap on WiFi Calling.
- Push the toggle and set Enable.
If the WiFi calling is already turned on, then turn the toggle button off, then turn off the WiFi as well and restart your phone.
Then repeat the steps in reverse and test whether the WiFi Calling is now working. If not, continue reading!
2. Reboot Your Starlink Modem!
You need to know that a stable Starlink internet connection is a must for WiFi Calling!
When your Starlink WiFi calling is not working, then power cycling the Starlink modem is an ideal and quick fix.
Sometimes the modem can encounter temporary glitches and bugs that prevent it from functioning normally.
Here is how to reboot the Starlink modem:
- Unplug the power adapter of your Starlink router.
- Disconnect the wiring from the back of the unit.
- Trace the length of the cable for rips and cuts.
- Leave the router unplugged for about 10 minutes.
- Connect the wires to the terminals on the router.
- Then, reconnect your Starlink router to the power.
Note: You have to wait a couple of minutes until your router boots up completely, connects to the Starlink dish, acquires signals, and turns on the LED lights.
3. Check for Signal Obstructions!
Most users are unaware that the position and line of sight of your Starlink dish, pointed toward the sky significantly affect signal strength.
With a bad connection, the WiFi calling won’t work!
Sometimes even any obstructions between the dish and the satellites can weaken the signal and prevent Starlink WiFi from working.
Therefore, it is crucial that your Starlink dish has a clear line of sight to the satellites in the sky to ensure strong internet signals.
How to Check for the Starlink Obstruction?
- Open the Starlink App.
- Then, sign in to the app.
- Tap on “Obstructions”.
- Select your Starlink unit.
- Then tap on “Confirm”.
- Scan the sky with the camera.
- When done, press View Results.
Tip: If there are any obstructions, try moving your Starlink dish or changing its location on the floor so that it has a clear line of sight with the sky.
4. Try Enabling the Airplane Mode
If you live near any network towers, there is no doubt that you will experience network problems in your area.
In those cases, chances of interference with your device are high and sometimes, even rebooting won’t help, so you might need to kill and restart all services with airplane mode!
Here is how to refresh the connection using Airplane Mode:
- First, open your phone Settings.
- Then turn off the Starlink WiFi.
- Locate and press Airplane Mode.
- Toggle ON and then OFF the mode.
- Next, turn the Starlink WiFi back on.
When you’re ready, test the WiFi Calling and if you’re still experiencing issues, continue reading!
5. Reduce the WiFi Signal Proximity
If you are sure that there is nothing wrong with your Starlink dish allocation, carrier plan, and all other things but are still Wifi calling not working on Starlink, reduce the proximity.
The Starlink WiFi Calling might not work because the WiFi signal is weak, so move closer to test for improvement.
Try moving a bit farther away from the router to improve WiFi calling quality!
Furthermore, it’s likely that the allocation of your Starlink modem is inappropriate and that’s why WiFi calling is not working.
In such situations, all you need to do is to try changing the location of your router to a more centralized location in your home and re-connect to the Starlink WiFi
Warning: Avoid placing the Starlink router behind any obstructions such as curtains, couches, drawers, etc…
6. Update Your Phone OS Firmware!
Keep in mind that WiFi Calling is not available on older models and software versions on your phone.
If your Starlink WiFi calling is still not working, then you need to attempt updating your phone software version to ensure a smooth performance of the WiFi calling feature.
Here is how to update your phone software version:
Steps to Update Android Phones:
- Open “Settings” on your phone.
- Scroll down and press “System“.
- Then select “Software Update“.
- Alternatively, go to “Advanced”.
- Check if an update is available!
- Then, tap on the “Update” button.
Steps to Update Apple Phones:
- Open “Settings” on your phone.
- Scroll down and press “General“.
- Choose the “Software Update”.
- Check for any available updates.
- If yes, tap on the “Update” button.
When your phone software is updated, then restart your phone and move closer to your WiFi router.
Then check to see if the WiFi calling feature is now functional and if not, keep reading!
7. Reset Starlink Network Settings!
If you have tried all steps but still WiFi calling is not working on Starlink Internet, then try resetting the network settings on your Starlink modem.
This is a last-resort solution since all of the data, settings, and configuration will be erased, so you would have to set up your Starlink again!
Here is how to reset the Starlink network settings in easy steps:
- First, navigate to your Starlink router.
- Unplug the router from the wall outlet.
- Plug the Starlink router back to power.
- Repeat steps 2 and step 3, six times!
- The router will reset to default settings.
When the reset is done, then connect your phone to the Starlink network then set up a new WiFi name as well as the WiFi password.
Then again connect your phone to the Starlink WiFi using a new WiFi password.
Reminder: Don’t forget that the default Starlink WiFi SSID is “STINKY”.
Need More Help?
If the Starlink WiFi Calling issues continue to persist, then it’s best to contact Starlink Support for further help.
They can help you further diagnose your problem to provide more personalized solutions and help you get your WiFi Calling back in no time. Best of luck!
Reminder: Open the Starlink app and double-check whether there are any recently reported outages for your specific residential area.
Hence, when your Starlink WiFi calling not working, verify that the WiFi Calling feature is enabled, reboot the Starlink modem, and improve your dish signal reception.
In addition, check for any dish obstructions, update your phone firmware, and reset the Starlink router.
Make sure to follow us for more!
Kevin has over five years of experience working in various Tech startups and providing Technical solutions. He has contributed to many Tech publications and websites.