If your Starlink Ethernet adapter not working, then this guide is for you, so keep reading!
Starlink offers a reliable and fast internet connection to set up wirelessly or wired.
If you have a Starlink wired setup with an Ethernet adapter, it’s normal to encounter issues, so by following this guide, you’ll learn how to overcome this hurdle quickly and move on…
If your Starlink Ethernet adapter is not working, first check for outages using the Starlink app and inspect the wiring. Try disconnecting and reconnecting the Ethernet adapter before troubleshooting your Starlink setup further.
Let’s identify the potential causes!
Why Starlink Ethernet Adapter Stopped Working?
There are several reasons why the Ethernet adapter is not working on your Starlink router.
The first thing to know is that the device you want to connect via Ethernet to the Starlink router should be set up for a wired connection before the internet comes online.
Assuming that the issue is with your Starlink, here are the possibilities:
Your issue is definitely related to one of the aforementioned bullets, so let’s address them!
How to Fix When Starlink Ethernet Adapter Not Working?
Tip: For best efficiency, follow the steps in order!
1. Check for Starlink Service Outages!
Sometimes ongoing Starlink service outages in your area can also cut off your internet access from the router, meaning that the connected device will also be offline.
In those cases, it’s not the adapter’s fault, and you’ll regain access to the Ethernet-connected device as soon as fixed!
Here are a few methods you can use to check for Starlink service outages:
- From Official Starlink Mobile App
- Visiting Starlink Official Website
- Visiting Starlink Community Forums
- From “X” and Social Media Handles
If there is a service outage in your area, then there is nothing you can do, so please be patient until Starlink service is restored in your area.
In case no outages are reported, keep on reading!
2. Power Cycle Starlink Equipment
Sometimes the entire issue with your Ethernet adapter comes from temporary glitches with the Starlino dish, disrupting its communication with the Starlink router.
This is not worrying at all, and one of the best methods is to power cycle the entire Starlink equipment as well as the WiFi unit!
Step #1 Restart the Starlink Dish:
- First, unplug your Starlink dish from the outlet.
- Leave the unit unplugged until fully discharged.
- Info: This takes approximately 5 to 10 minutes.
- Then, plug your Starlink dish back into the outlet.
Step #2 Restart Your Starlink Router:
- First, unplug your Starlink router from the outlet.
- Wait for up to 2 to 3 minutes for a full discharge.
- Unplug all wires from the back of the router.
- Ensure that all cables are plugged and seated.
- Finally, plug your router directly into the outlet.
Step #3 Restart Your Ethernet Device:
Steps to Restart a Laptop:
- Press on the “Start” menu (Windows).
- OR press on the Apple logo (macOS).
- Locate and press the Power feature.
- Choose “Restart” from the options.
Steps to Restart a Smart TV:
- Press the “Power” button using the TV remote.
- Then, disconnect the TV from the wall outlet.
- Wait for about 2 to 3 minutes for a power cycle.
- Then, plug the TV power cord back into the outlet.
Steps to Restart a Gaming Console:
- First, locate the power button on a controller.
- Long-press the power button for 10 seconds.
- Wait for 60 seconds to let the unit discharge.
- Press the power button to turn on the console.
When you restart your Starlink equipment, wait up to 5 minutes until the dish boosts up, initializes, and restores its connection with the satellite.
Then test whether the Ethernet adapter is working!
If the Starlink Ethernet adapter is still not working, continue reading further into the guide!
3. Disconnect & Reconnect the Adapter!
Over time, Ethernet adapters connections become loose due to dirt, hair, or clogs that can cause connectivity disruptions.
Your Starlink network adapter not working, mainly due to a fault with the connection to the router, which is why your connected device is not receiving any internet.
The entire operation consists of several easy steps:
Step #1 Unplug the Units from the Outlet:
- Unplug your Starlink router from the outlet.
- Also, unplug the dish from the power source.
- Finally, unplug the Ethernet connection device.
Step #2 Disconnect all the Starlink Wiring:
- Disconnect the Starlink Ethernet Adapter from the router.
- Hold and remove the dish cable cord from the adapter.
- Also, disconnect your Ethernet device from the adapter.
- Inspect ports for damage on the router and Ethernet port.
Note: If you found any defect in the cable, port, or adapter, then you need a replacement!
Step #3 Re-Connect the Starlink Ethernet Adapter
- Connect your Starlink ethernet adapter to the router.
- The Starlink port is specialized, and the plug fits in.
- Then, plug the dish into your Starlink router as well.
- Then connect your Ethernet device to the adapter.
When everything is correctly set up with your Starlink Ethernet adapter, turn on the power supply to your router and dish.
With a bit of luck, your Ethernet adapter will now be working!
Tip: To report any damaged equipment, contact Starlink directly!
4. Test With a Different Device!
If you have tried all the steps, but your Starlink Ethernet adapter is still not working, then it’s good to test the adapter on a different device.
Perhaps the issue comes from the wired internet setup on your machine, so if you can try it on another device, feel free to do so!
This is a great way to figure out whether the issue is specifically with your first device or with the network adapter.
Hence, you would know what to do next, so here’s exactly how to justify this:
- First, unplug your router and device from the outlet.
- Unplug the Ethernet cable from the previous device.
- Connect the Ethernet cable to another enabled device.
- Then, plug your router and new device into the outlet.
- Test to see if the Starlink Ethernet adapter now works.
If the adapter is correctly working, then it means that the problem is specifically with the device that you’ve been using prior, switching to another.
In contrast, if your Starlink Ethernet adapter is still not working even with the new device, then it is likely something else is causing the problem.
Note: Verify that you’re performing the wired internet setup correctly on your enabled devices!
5. Try Using a Different Ethernet Cable
Sometimes, the Starlink Ethernet adapter functions well, but the entire problem comes from the Ethernet cable used to connect with your enabled device.
Ethernet cables can become damaged or faulty and cause inconsistent connections, especially when their connector is faulty.
So, if your Starlink Ethernet adapter is experiencing connectivity issues, use a different Ethernet cable to test whether this will help.
This simple step to help you quickly determine the root cause.
If your Starlink Ethernet adapter is working with a new cable, then it means your initial Ethernet cable was faulty.
If not, and the Starlink Adapter is not working, even with a new Ethernet cable, then you have a faulty unit.
Note: You can find new Ethernet cables and purchase one for your Starlink setup!
Starlink Ethernet Adapter Is Faulty?
If you continue to experience the same problem with your Starlink Ethernet adapter, then reach out to Starlink Support to request a new Ethernet Adapter for you.
You might have been sent a faulty adapter, or the adapter has been damaged, which is why it’s not working.
Reminder: Now would be a good time to check whether your Starlink warranty is still intact!
If your Starlink Ethernet adapter not working, look for Starlink service outages in the app, and restart your router, dish, and streaming device.
If the issue continues, you must disconnect and reconnect the Ethernet adapter or test with a different Ethernet cable.
For more Starlink fix guides, check out our blog!
Kevin has over five years of experience working in various Tech startups and providing Technical solutions. He has contributed to many Tech publications and websites.