Why is the Spectrum remote fast forward not working? A good question!
The reason why the Spectrum remote fast-forwarding is not working could be due to low or dead remote batteries.
For IR remotes it’s likely that the signal is being obstructed or there is a software fault with the receiver or Spectrum DVR that needs troubleshooting.
Let’s continue to unwrap!
Why Fast Forward Not Working On Spectrum Remote?
There are quite a few reasons why Spectrum remote fast-forwarding wouldn’t work:
- The user is not fast-forwarding correctly!
- The remote is bugging and glitching out.
- The remote batteries are very low or dead.
- A physical obstruction for infrared remotes.
- The current media cannot be fast-forwarded.
- A software issue with the receiver or DVR.
- The remote or FFWD button is broken/faulty.
Identify the Type of Your Spectrum Remote!
First, it’s crucial to identify the type of your Spectrum remote control.
This is very important since the fast-forwarding function is triggered by different buttons on different models.
When you open the battery cover, you’ll discover the remote’s model, which can be used for online identification.
How to Fast-Forward on Spectrum Remote?
Typically, there are many different remotes compatible with Spectrum receivers, and DVR but there are only two general ways to fast-forward.
Even if models are different there are two types of Spectrum remote fast-forwarding so let’s check which way your Spectrum remote uses!
- Fast Forward to Spectrum Guide Remote – Press Right Arrow repeatedly!
- Fast Forward on all other Spectrum Remotes – Press the “FFWD” button.
By pressing the fast-forwarding button once you increase the speed to 2x, pressing the button twice, increases the forwarding to 4x.
This multiplicative progression goes up to 8x and pressing the button again reverses to 2x speed. To cancel the forwarding press the “Pause” button!
Spectrum Remote Fast Forward Not Working – Solved!
1. Hard-Reset the Remote Control
Whenever the fast-forwarding button or any of the other remote buttons are not working, the first step should be to perform a hard reset.
This method doesn’t unpair your remote or tweak any of the device’s functionality, instead, it only discharges the remote allowing a fresh start.
Here’s how to perform a hard reset on any Spectrum remote control:
- First, power off the TV or receiver using the power button.
- Then, flip the remote upside down, and open the cover.
- Gently eject the batteries from the Spectrum remote.
- Press and hold the “Power” button for 30 seconds.
- Then press each of the remote buttons for 2 seconds.
- Lastly, re-insert the batteries and close the compartment.
- Test whether the fast-forward button is not working well.
Replace the Remote Batteries!
It’s very important to verify that the batteries in the remote are fresh.
The Spectrum remotes use 2 x alkaline AA batteries so ensure to insert a fresh pair and test before continuing further!
2. Reprogram Spectrum Remote
Sometimes the remote functionalities stop working due to pairing issues and all you need to do is perform clean reprogramming on your Spectrum remote.
Based on the brand of your TV you will need the pairing code so check the table below to note down the correct code!
Note: If you don’t see your TV brand below go to Spectrum.net/spectrumremote.
|Spectrum Remote Control Programming TV Codes!
|Insignia / Dynex
|LG / Zenith
|Philips / Magnavox
|RCA / TCL
How to Reprogram the Spectrum Guide Remote?
- Ensure that the TV is turned on and working.
- Press and hold the OK + Menu buttons together.
- Wait until the remote’s “Input” button blinks twice.
- Next, press the TV Power button only once.
- Press and hold the pairing code for the TV brand.
- The “Input” button should light up solid.
- Next, press and hold the remote’s UP arrow.
- Release only when the TV powers off by itself.
How to Reprogram Spectrum 1060BC2/3 Remote?
- First, press the “TV” or “CBL” button (based on the device).
- The pressed button should blink once as an indication.
- Next, locate and press the “Setup” button on the remote.
- Find your device’s pairing code by going to Spectrum Remotes.
- Scroll down to select the 1060 remotes, and select it.
- Next, select the device you’re going to be pairing.
- On the right, select the manufacturer to acquire the code.
- Next, press the code on your remote’s number pad.
- The “TV” or “CBL” button will blink twice as an indication.
Note: If the button doesn’t blink, repeat the reprogramming process over!
3. Test Another Media/Recording
Sometimes the fast-forwarding function will not be available based on the type of content that you’re viewing on your Spectrum DVR or digital receiver.
For example, when streaming a Live TV channel, and you have a DVR, you can’t fast-forward if you haven’t recorded the show yet.
You might be unable to fast-forward anymore because you’ve reached the live moment of the Time Shift Buffer, hence you’re caught up to the live timeframe.
For Spectrum receivers, any on-demand movie, channel, or TV show episode can be forwarded by pressing the correct button for your remote model.
As far as DVR recordings, they can be viewed, paused, and fast-forwarded, even if the capturing was made on a live TV program.
How to Fast-Forward Spectrum DVR Recordings?
If you own a Spectrum DVR and you’re unable to fast-forward, you’re likely attempting to skip content from a live TV channel or broadcast.
Simply find the “Go to My DVR” option and press the DVR button on the remote. The DVR recordings can be fast-forwarded with ease!
Note: With a Spectrum DVR you can record anything by pressing the “RECORD” button!
4. Power Cycle Your Receiver/DVR
If you’re still unable to fast-forward the Spectrum content, regardless of whether you’re using a DVR or Spectrum receiver, the next step is to reboot the entire setup.
Sometimes the reason why you’re unable to fast-forward is not because of the remote, instead, it’s a software issue!
- To power cycle, your Spectrum setup, unplug the DVR/receiver’s power adapter!
By keeping the receiver or DVR unplugged for about 60 seconds you will achieve a complete power discharge, which is likely to solve the problem.
Whenever the power circulation is ready and you re-establish the power equipment of your setup, test whether you can now fast-forward.
Tip: Try pressing the forwarding button firmly to verify that it’s actually being pressed!
5. Refresh Spectrum Equipment
Luckily, Spectrum provides users with a fully-fledged online tool for troubleshooting equipment issues.
This is not a factory reset (does not delete anything), but the method has been proven to solve functionality issues such as the fast-forwarding fault with the Spectrum remote.
Refresh Spectrum Equipment Online:
- Sign into your account on the official Spectrum website.
- Then, click or tap on “Your Services” and then “TV”.
- From the list, select your Spectrum receiver or DVR.
- Finally, choose Restart Equipment to refresh the setup.
Refresh Spectrum Equipment via App:
- Download the Spectrum app for Android or iOS devices.
- Next, sign in to your Spectrum account within the app.
- Tap on the “Services” tab and select your equipment.
- Finally, tap on the “Restart Equipment?” tab to begin.
Note: The Spectrum equipment refresh lasts little to no time so you can immediately test whether the fast-forwarding feature will begin functioning correctly.
6. Factory Reset Spectrum Receiver!
Note: This method will not work for Spectrum DVR.
If you have a Spectrum receiver, you can take the troubleshooting to the next level by doing a factory reset.
Well, this is the harshest method of all, which deletes all data, saved settings, and user configurations on the receiver to provide the user with a fresh, first-time experience.
- To reset a Spectrum receiver press the Reset button for 5 seconds!
The reset button is located on the back of the receiver, and sometimes it’s in a small pinhole that requires a needle or paperclip for reading in.
However, holding the reset button for 5 seconds will trigger the reset and the Spectrum logo will appear as an indication.
Info: After the reset, you need to set up your Spectrum receiver’s initial settings configuration!
In this guide, we’ve learned why Spectrum remote fast forward not working and how to solve the issue in a matter of minutes.
The solution involves hard resetting the remote and replacing the batteries before troubleshooting the receiver/DVR for software faults!
We hope this guide was helpful so follow us for more!
Read Next: How to Cast Spectrum TV App?